SAMI woes

HartDeco

Hi all

As many of you are probably aware of, the latest issues of SAMI and MAM were reissues from 2021 . Also, we as contributors never got paid for our work last year. I lost the money but my work got published twice. so I got over it. But what was made aware of today and realy stings me is that they removed my name from the article in the latest release. Why? Do they hate me that much?  Or is there more behind their actions?

Sorry for the bad photos. I don't own the magazines and had to take photos from my screen.

René

spacer.png

Renéspacer.png

• Sad 7

Seems like it's par for the course for them.  If that sort of thing rankles with you as much as it would me, I'd vote with my feet and give them nothing :shrug:

• Like 6

They let me know my subscription had expired the other day. I knew that, it had ended a months ago and they only just got around to telling me. I have already voted with my money, and gone elsewhere.

I feel really sorry for those who have their subscriptions running and are enjoying TV-like repeats for their fee, and for those buying off the shelf who have been duped.

Ray

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ray S said:

They let me know my subscription had expired the other day. I knew that, it had ended a months ago and they only just got around to telling me. I have already voted with my money, and gone elsewhere.

Ray

Snap.

• Like 1

So sorry to hear that, Rene. Just par for the course for those people. Morally and ethically, that's unjustifiable and it would be interesting to hear from them or anyone allegedly involved with the company as to why they thought it necessary. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HartDeco said:

Hi all

As many of you are probably aware of, the latest issues of SAMI and MAM were reissues from 2021 . Also, we as contributors never got paid for our work last year. I lost the money but my work got published twice. so I got over it. But what was made aware of today and realy stings me is that they removed my name from the article in the latest release. Why? Do they hate me that much?  Or is there more behind their actions?

Sorry for the bad photos. I don't own the magazines and had to take photos from my screen.

René

spacer.png

Renéspacer.png

Removing your name? Thats running into copyright issues and leaving themselves open to legal action. As for not being paid for your work  It might be worth your while to go through the UK small claims process, I would do it on principle, too many of these bandits get away with this,  and strictly speaking if they published your stuff twice they should pay you twice!

Selwyn

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Removing your name? Thats running into copyright issues and leaving themselves open to legal action. As for not being paid for your work  It might be worth your while to go through the UK small claims process, I would do it on principle, too many of these bandits get away with this,  and strictly speaking if they published your stuff twice they should pay you twice!

Agreed, but look carefully at any contract/agreement that may apply. I stopped working for a certain publishing group because their terms said effectively "we own everything you submit to us and can do what we like with it". Of course regardless of this you should certainly have been paid for the initial use of the article.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

It might be worth your while to go through the UK small claims process, I would do it on principle,

Living in Scotland with the firm in England I discovered through my lawyer that it is not quite as simple nor as cheap to raise a small claim as it involves different court processes and issues with serving paperwork , imagine that doing so from outside the UK would be even more problematical.

I was out to the tune of around £600 and the advice was that if I had money to burn and wanted to do so on a point of principle it could be pursued but if the claim was defended even if I was successful I would still be considerably out of pocket at the end of the day. 

• Like 1

That’s 💩 in my opinion and I would be looking to see what legal recourse I could take especially now they have used it twice without paying for it, then taking you name off it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Julien said:

That’s 💩 in my opinion and I would be looking to see what legal recourse I could take especially now they have used it twice without paying for it, then taking you name off it.

It's not worth the money and effort to take it to court. For me personally it's only amount of around 450 Pounds but I know some are owed over 1000. It is just the fact that I'm screwed by someone and I will therefore let everybody know what kind of people they are. Just as a warning not to fall into their trap.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, HartDeco said:

To be clear, we are talking about the same magazine here.

Probably more accurate to say that we are talking about the same magazine titles but depending on when one became involved probably different legally constituted operating companies although with the same main cast of characters.

• Like 2

So four of the new team listed have no knowledge of being with the publication! And one of those listed is using somebody else’s random picture! These magazines just get worse and worse, what a joke! As if republishing old issues as new wasn’t bad enough for the last 3 months, this! Surely cannot go on much longer like this? What a sad state of affairs! 🤔😂

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Wow, they really are pushing the bounds of legality with that page! At least three of the people listed deny any knowledge of working for SAM Publications. 

On top of it all, the grammar, punctuation and spelling are all atrocious! Hardly a good look for a print magazine!

Here's the page Rene speaks of:

51916269496_b680dda036_h.jpg

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Paul Bradley said:

Wow, they really are pushing the bounds of legality with that page! At least three of the people listed deny any knowledge of working for SAM Publications. 

On top of it all, the grammar, punctuation and spelling are all atrocious! Hardly a good look for a print magazine!

Here's the page Rene speaks of:

51916269496_b680dda036_h.jpg

On top of that; names spelled wrong, random photo next to the name.

• Like 2

Mike Keep must be spinning in his grave😢😢😢: I can remember SAMI appearing when Alan W Hall’s Scale Aircraft Modelling got into difficulties in the mid-nineties.  Sadly Mike died at about the time that the first issue of SAMI appeared but he’d got a team in place to carry the title through that trauma.  Sadly the title was sold on to another business whose scruples left a lot to be desired (I know of a couple of people who were regally stitched up by them) and has now been handed down to the present, apparently almost scruple-free, owners.

• Like 6