Fratton Model Centre closing.

Spookytooth

After trading for 60 years the Fratton Model Centre is sadly closing at the end of the month.

Fratton Model Centre is set to close after trading on the high street for over 60 years.

The model shop in Fratton Road, previously known as Fratton Bargain Shop, has been open since 1957.

Brian and Ann Salt are planning to retire, while intermittently attending trade shows across the country.

Searches to find new owners failed to materialise.

Mr Salt, who bought the shop from his father in 1995, and owned it since, said even though it was time to go despite his emotional attachment to the shop.

He said: ‘I’m upset that the shop is closing, and regular customers are not going to have their source of supply for modelling materials.

‘It is a bit upsetting, and we open seven days a week so people can have what they want when they want it,

What makes this a bit ironic is that they bought the Waterlooville Model Centre`s stock when it closed back last September.

This means that now we have one so so model shop in Portsmouth left soon.

Simon.

• Sad 6

That’s sad news. I remember Fratton Bargin Shop well, it was a 15 min walk from my Grans.

Haven’t been back to Pompey for a number of years. Where the one that’s left? Was aware of one in Drayton, think it was called the magic toy box, no idea if it is still there.

• Like 1

I remember regularly visiting the shop whenever I was down in Pompey staying with my Dad's family. When I was a bit older I was even allowed to head down there from Cosham on my own on the bus which was a great adventure for this Scots country lad when he was 12.

Duncan B

• Like 1

On 03/03/2022 at 18:56, Jb65rams said:

That’s sad news. I remember Fratton Bargin Shop well, it was a 15 min walk from my Grans.

Haven’t been back to Pompey for a number of years. Where the one that’s left? Was aware of one in Drayton, think it was called the magic toy box, no idea if it is still there.

It`s called "The Model Shop" just North of New Road Junction, not sure whether Magic Toy Box is still there though.

Simon.

Sad to hear this.  At one time, Portsmouth was a true Mecca of modelling shops, but suddenly it's looking a bit like a desert.  :(

• Sad 1