From Hull, Hell and... Halifax! Revell 1/72 - +++ MOTHBALLED +++

TonyOD

I'd say that was very much the BM way, judging from the responses when anyone suggests that their latest prides and joy doesn't actually reflect the reality of their subject,  But the key point is that all these improvements only matter if you know there is something odd about the appearance of the kit as produced, and care about making it better.  Or, as perhaps should be added, if you have the time. cash and enthusiasm available.   However none of these suggestions are compulsory.

I would hate to consider that the opinions of anyone without any interest or knowledge should as over-ride discussions on the accuracy of model.  Particularly on matters clearly visible in comparison with photographs.  Indeed, this should hold as a general principle, about any ill-informed person's opinions on anything.  Extension to political comparisons unnecessary.

53 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

perhaps it’s not the BM way

It depends where you look. From what I have seen, the BM way spans the entire range from OOB to every piece of resin and metal that can be bought.

For me, the proper way is whichever way you choose to build your kit. In the end, if it looks like a vague approximation of the subject matter, it's good enough. (see any of the builds I have posted for examples)

Advice given should be noted but need not be applied. It could be worthwhile for a future build or for someone else.

Having worked on a kit, you have seen all the flaws and imperfections and are aware of mistakes you made along the way. Others are not.

Ultlimately, its your build, so do with it what you will as long as you get pleasure from it.
That's the point of a hobby

The current Matchbox GB seems to be a great example of people working on very old kits without vast amounts of AM stuff and having a great time at it.

OOB does not equate to a poorly built model

/P

• Like 6

My need to justify what I've got into my head will be a sub-standard build probably says more about my hang-ups than it does about this forum. I'm not suggesting that blissful (or even willful) ignorance should be considered superior to expertise... but under my current circumstances I'll consider it equally valid, if that's OK.

Anyway, onwards.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, TonyOD said:

I think what I “need” right now as I try to get back into the swing of things is a straightforward, undemanding build without slavish adherence to detail or accuracy. I realise that perhaps it’s not the BM way but I think it’s what will work for me at the moment.

Back in the days of Usenet, I was a contributor on alt.scale.models.  There was a well respected contributor on that group called Al Superczynski.  His motto was "It's your model.  Build it how you want to."

I think that should be The BM Way. 

You only have to look at the current Matchbox Classic GB to see how many people are thoroughly enjoying straightforward, undemanding builds without slavish adherence to detail or accuracy.  :thumbsup:  

• Like 6

Hey Tony,

Looking forward to watching the build I'm going to be attempting the same kit!

Anyhow I remember it as 'ell 'ull an 'alifax from growing up around Northowram/Shelf way, clearly you've got a bit posh around Nottingham way! :)

As for the obsessiveness I think the hobby is a magnet for us - most of us are kit hoarders at the very least and can easily get sucked into the whole accuracy thing too much (at the end of the day it's a representation of a subject - imagine if the model aircraft skins were actually 1/72 of the real thing, it would crumple up with a stiff sneeze!).

As Enzo says try and remember it's your build and do what makes you happy, aftermarket or not - I'm actually relieved I omitted using the PE parts on my last build (a Catalina) as it would have been far too much frustration for little if any reward, even though my inner Yorkshireman was telling me it would be a waste as I'd already bought it! :D

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

You only have to look at the current Matchbox Classic GB to see how many people are thoroughly enjoying straightforward, undemanding builds without slavish adherence to detail or accuracy.  :thumbsup:  

Indeed. I had a whale of a time with the Heller Classic GB a while back, and one of my submissions was a P-47 that apparently was a heinously inaccurate representation of the real thing, needless to say it attracted some well-meaning comments to this effect that I gently knocked back, and for good measure had a good laugh at a couple of scathing online reviews, because at the end of the day this little plastic plane was a vintage toy. Thing is now my head is in a very different place and I'm highly obsessive and horrifically self-critical, even though I'm self-aware enough to know this is the case and really should chill out. I think back to my three rules of modelling: 1) did I enjoy building it? 2) does it look alright on the shelf? 3) can it be mistaken for a Spitfire?* But I'm having trouble following my own rules right now.

* doesn't apply to Spitfires.

12 hours ago, Scargsy said:

Anyhow I remember it as 'ell 'ull an 'alifax from growing up around Northowram/Shelf way, clearly you've got a bit posh around Nottingham way! :)

Perhaps so... but 25 years in the East Midlands and I haven't yet called anyone "duck". (Still, you should hear me when I go back to Wibsey to see my parents... once I'm over the GOC border my accent miraculously transforms itself into that of Compo Simmonite.) I know Shelf well, my dad worked at Bakes & Lord printers at the bottom of Shelf Moor Road back in the 70s. No longer there I believe.

Glad to see you're doing a similar build to me, I'll be with you all the way for that one. Might be a week or two before I have anything to show on mine.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I built this kit with a resin set by AML which did make a difference but obviously at a cost.

The fit of the kit is so good the main wings were painted separately and there was no resulting filler required.

By the way, the 'Tollerton' nose is in the B.Mk.III radial engined kit, not this one, a bit bizarre!

Good luck.

Davey.

• Like 2

The Mk.V undercarriage, I believe, is also in the Mk.III kit.  Fine for Halibag enthusiasts who would buy both kits anyway, but a bit odd otherwise.  But then the Revell kit is a bit odd in many ways.  It seems clear that they set out to do multi-variant multi-option toolings but then gave up partway - possibly the money ran out or perhaps in horror when they saw the Merlin engine cowlings and props.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The Mk.V undercarriage, I believe, is also in the Mk.III kit.  Fine for Halibag enthusiasts who would buy both kits anyway, but a bit odd otherwise.  But then the Revell kit is a bit odd in many ways.  It seems clear that they set out to do multi-variant multi-option toolings but then gave up partway - possibly the money ran out or perhaps in horror when they saw the Merlin engine cowlings and props.

The Mk.V undergear is in both kits. Part # 101 is the Messier gear while Part # 211 is the Dowty gear.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Nothing worth photographing, but I got some interior green on some of the cockpit parts this morning. It's not much but it's broken the impasse and it's good to have the scent of enamel in my nostrils.

• Like 2

I hope you are using the right interior green? 😉

I'm with you on the detailing thing. I've lost count of the number of times I've thought adding extras will make me happier. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

I've sort of got things clearer in my head these days. I build to more than one standard. A straight out the box build of an old kit, using what was available when the kit came out, is like a breath of fresh air after having a go at a new superkit. The reverse is equally true. I'm going to enjoy building the recent Revell Halifax just as much as the Matchbox one I'm currently building, each done with a different mindset.

Enjoy your build. 

Tony.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

I hope you are using the right interior green? 😉

Humbrol 78 all the way! Actually the nose section of the Halifax interior was black I think, but I'm not getting too hung up on anything with this build. There will be several inaccuracies that I'm already aware of but accuracy isn't the point with this one.

• Like 4

Well, I'm making progress in that half my dining table is strewn with bits painted Humbrol 78! I can't do much with the fuselage until the mask set I've ordered arrives so have been busying myself with lots of other bits.

I turned up this better copy of a previously referenced picture. I'm intrigued to note that there only appear to be three little porthole windows in the fuselage side, as opposed to five moulded on the kit.

spacer.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

My kit instructions only show 3 portholes per side, on the rear fuselage. It doesn't show one at the wing root.

Chris

I’ve had a closer look at the photo and actually there are 4 portholes - I missed the one below the serial number.

My kit instructions show five (same as the kit, which I suppose ought to be expected) - parts 18 to 22 on the starboard side, but 20 was absent on this particular aircraft. The moulding on the inside of the fuselage suggests some kind of access hatch, but nothing to be seen on the outside.

spacer.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I’ve had a closer look at the photo and actually there are 4 portholes - I missed the one below the serial number.

My kit instructions show five (same as the kit, which I suppose ought to be expected) - parts 18 to 22 on the starboard side, but 20 was absent on this particular aircraft. The moulding on the inside of the fuselage suggests some kind of access hatch, but nothing to be seen on the outside.

spacer.png

I had quickly edited my reply, as I noticed that you are building the Revell designed kit an not their re-pop of the Matchbox kit. That's the instruction sheet I was looking at.

Blame my old age and my mis-spent youth ravaged brain.

Chris

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Blame my old age and my mis-spent youth ravaged brain.

That’s what I blame for everything…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Tony,

How are you doing? A word of warning from my build though yours may be a different moulding. Matchbox did not think out the sprues very well and same of the more fragile parts such as the gun barrels, aerial masts and aileron balance weights area sod to get off without breaking them as they are under compression and break when you use either sprue cutters or a scalpel. If yours are the same you may wish to try cutting the sprue at either side first to relieve the strain - I realised that after I had broken two gun barrels and a balance weight!

Pete

• Like 3

Well... usual thing, you go into the new year with all kinds of good intentions for the group builds, and then...

I'm afraid that 2022 is proving to be the gift that keeps on giving. I haven't completed a build yet this year, and after a pretty traumatic few months now I'm about to go through a very significant change in my personal circumstances (let's just say the path of true love does not run smooth). I've decided the best thing is to put away the modelling stuff for now, so I've carefully packed the partly assembled Halibag in its big blue box and put it away. It may be a few weeks before I'm back on it, it may be a few months, but either way I'll be living somewhere else and it would've needed packing up in any case, and it's highly unlikely I'll get it built by the GB end date. 

So apologies for that, thankfully @Scargsy is building the same kit the the venerable old Halifax will be represented in the GB. I don't think I'll be dropping into the forum that much but will make a point of looking in on the B'n'B gallery to see what wonderful contributions people are making. Thanks to @Adam Poultney for hosting.

All the best, and happy modelling.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• TonyOD changed the title to From Hull, Hell and... Halifax! Revell 1/72 - +++ MOTHBALLED +++

Hi Tony,

Sorry to hear about your domestic problems - hope things work out for the best. As the Americans say - "Sh*t happens" and all we can do is try and cope with it as best we can.

Pete

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Tony,

As the Americans say - "Sh*t happens" and all we can do is try and cope with it as best we can.

Pete

Excrement is an eventuality 

Chris

• Thanks 1