Fokker Triplane build

Dogtail2

On 5/7/2023 at 12:15 PM, Dogtail2 said:

Thanks.

Yes, flying is my first passion. My usual machine is a Pitts S1S

Many,many thanks for that lovely clip Sir,and a superb crisp 4 point hesitation if one may say so.

Most impressive rate of climb too on rotation,as Herr Rittmeister said of the DR.1,it seems also true of the Pitts,

"It climbs like a monkey".

Thanks also for reminding us what a superb guitarist Mr Knopfler is.

One can't wait for a similar introduction to your DR.1 too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dave Wilko said:

Many,many thanks for that lovely clip Sir,and a superb crisp 4 point hesitation if one may say so.

Most impressive rate of climb too on rotation,as Herr Rittmeister said of the DR.1,it seems also true of the Pitts,

"It climbs like a monkey".

Thanks also for reminding us what a superb guitarist Mr Knopfler is.

One can't wait for a similar introduction to your DR.1 too.

Thanks Dave, glad you liked it.

Mark Knopfler has done some brilliant stuff.  The track (News) is about a guy on a motorcycle, but the lyrics seemed to fit my flying sequence, so I used it.

Maybe I'll do one with the Triplane but without the 4 point rolls, I think🙂

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Thanks for showing your progress on this, its very interesting to see how it all goes together.

M.

You are welcome,  T

Thought it might be useful for the WW1 modellers out there.

That looks great!

Are there any deviations from the original in what we can see there?

I am always surprised at the amount of positive incidence of the tailplane on a Dr1, but I guess thats because the centre of pressure is so high up?

Flying scale models of the Dr1 also need this to fly properly.

M.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Malc2 said:

That looks great!

Are there any deviations from the original in what we can see there?

M.

Thanks M.

The drawings show some optional small diameter tubing around the cockpit opening which I decided to fit as the area takes a lot of abuse getting in and out.  Any damage to the rear decking in this area requires removal of the fabric to repair properly. 

This photo of an original shows the sort of damage and less than perfect repair to this area, which the mod eliminates. The originals were not built with longevity in mind.

52920926563_5cbf91390a_o.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/8/2023 at 10:00 AM, Dogtail2 said:

Yes...but... 

The Fokker Dr1 does have it's own unique handling issues...... visibility forward on the ground is nil, and maneuvering on the ground is difficult with the fixed tailskid , Unstable in yaw. Crosswinds are interesting, but even worse is a dead calm. 

All part of the fun.🫰

Your S1S experience will be helpful there then !  Haven't flown an S1, but found the S2 - A or B enough of a handful on the landing ground run in even a light crosswind. Take-off was quick enough not to be so much of an issue in a Pitts. 

In a dead calm, presumably landing on grass would help provide some drag, although the tailskid might do a fair bit of damage.  Is it the lack of brakes (in the Dr1, I am guessing)  and the long period when you are slowing but have little effctive control left thiat is the concern? 

Nice aerobatics - leisurely, beautifully controlled. Looked like you were having great fun, and keeping warm on a cold January day ! I was tryingto work out which field you were flying from.  Also a gliding site - Looked like a T21 and possibly an  ASW-15 parked off to one side of the runway.

That build is superb.

Edited by John B (Sc)

20 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

Is it the lack of brakes (in the Dr1, I am guessing)  and the long period when you are slowing but have little effctive control left thiat is the concern? 

Nice aerobatics - leisurely, beautifully controlled. Looked like you were having great fun, and keeping warm on a cold January day !

Hi John,

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, it was a bit chilly that day. You can see the snow covered fields below me. Kept warm with the help of a fur collar and some Adrenaline.🙃 

I have not flown an S2, only Pitts S1C and S1S. Pretty similar I should think.

The Triplane is a grass only machine as the tailskid wear plate would be worn through in no time on tarmac. The landing roll out in a dead calm needs extra care because the rudder becomes ineffective with very little airflow over it with the throttle closed and due to blanking effect from the three wings as the tail comes down.(Like a Venetian blind closing). You have to be double quick to arrest any hint of a swing.  If you let it get away it's a definite ground loop.

Blimey, 50 bracing wires with adjusters!  I thought the number of adjusters in the old Slingsby T21 and T31 gliders were bad enough, but fifty ! 

Thanks for the explanation of the rudder blanking once the tail goes down. I should have thought of that.

I seem to recall one airfield down South which insisted on having the local Tiger Moth land on the tarmac rather than grass, because of the grooves they claimed it dug.  The tailskid spoon was constantly having to be reinforced with a sacrificial plate.

John B

Edited by John B (Sc)
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

Blimey, 50 bracing wires with adjusters!  I thought the number of adjusters in the old Slingsby T21 and T31 gliders were bad enough, but fifty ! 

Thanks for the explanation of the rudder blanking once the tail goes down. I should have thought of that.

I seem to recall one airfield down South which insisted on having the local Tiger Moth land on the tarmac rather than grass, because of the grooves they claimed it dug.  The tailskid spoon was constantly having to be reinforced with a sacrificial plate.

John B

There are actually more than 50 in total, as there are another 4 larger turnbuckles on the cabane and undercarriage bracing cables.

The tailskid tends to make a bit of a groove when used on soggy grass, but in dry conditions it's not too bad. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

Thanks  - 'turnbuckles' , not adjusters. It's been too long ago !

Adjusters is fine. 

Just remembered...there's another 9 in the aileron, elevator and rudder control circuits, making 63 in total. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 9:22 PM, ColinChipmunkfan said:

This is coming along beautifully.   Great to follow the progress you have made.

Thanks, and you are welcome.

Hubs and rims spoked up and tyres fitted.  Knobbly tread removed to create a smooth tyre.

26037725552_e38361f076_o.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Malc2 said:

How are the ends of the bungee cord fixed to stop the loops round the axle becoming loose?

M.

The ends of the bungee cord are wrapped multiple times with thinner cord, usually rib cord.