FV214 Conqueror Mk.II

I think this definitely qualifies as big.  With the exception of the Tortoise (which was really an SPG) this was the biggest British tank until the advent of the Challengers.   Even now, the Challenger 2 is only marginally bigger than the Conqueror.

Wikipedia provides a nice history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conqueror_(tank)

This kit is from Accurate Armour and is in resin.  Not only will it be big but it will be heavy. :D

spacer.png

Incidentally, @Mike N is also building a Conqueror in this GB.

• Like 8

The box is actually quite compact as you can see in comparison with a Tamiya paint bottle.

The upper hull is a single resin casting.

spacer.png

As is the lower hull.

spacer.png

... and the turret.  This is heavy!

spacer.png

The vehicle has a very distinctive look.

spacer.png

• Like 5

That's the easy stuff out of the way.   The remainder is a bewildering array of resin castings which - quite frankly - are scaring me!  :door:  

As I attempt each assembly, I will show the contents of the bags in more detail.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The tracks are provided as lengths of resin.  At first glance they seem to be a challenge. However, I have had good results with Accurate Armour resin tracks before.

spacer.png

I have used various track packs from AA and have used a couple of conversion kits.  This is the first full kit of theirs that I have attempted.    However, there will probably be more later on in the year.  I have a Saladin and Ferret from Accurate Armour in The Stash.  One of these will certainly make an appearance in the Armoured Car GB.

• Like 5

Ye Gods!,

It's like buses - you wait years to see somebody build a Conqueror and then 2 come along in the same GB. I probably have a pic somewhere of the cut-away one in the Tank Museum that used to be on display showing the interior  - I suppose it was painted white.

Good luck with the build Enzo!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

That's the easy stuff out of the way.   The remainder is a bewildering array of resin castings which - quite frankly - are scaring me!  :door:  

As I attempt each assembly, I will show the contents of the bags in more detail.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The tracks are provided as lengths of resin.  At first glance they seem to be a challenge. However, I have had good results with Accurate Armour resin tracks before.

spacer.png

I have used various track packs from AA and have used a couple of conversion kits.  This is the first full kit of theirs that I have attempted.    However, there will probably be more later on in the year.  I have a Saladin and Ferret from Accurate Armour in The Stash.  One of these will certainly make an appearance in the Armoured Car GB.

I have used Accurate Armour resin tracks with no real issues, Easy to mould round sprockets and idlers and wheels with a hairdryer...Some sprockets may need some trimming to fit.

Edited by Threadbear
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Don't have one of those.  Bit pointless for me... :lol:  

I dont either! Bought a cheapo from Argos for about £13! Easier than asking my partner for hers......😊

Edited by Threadbear

19 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Don't have one of those either.  How do you think I get so much modelling done? :lol: 

Makes sense - more free time and lots more cash!

Pete

• Haha 1

First thing to do is look inside one of those bags.  This one has the majority of the parts for the suspension and road wheels.

spacer.png

spacer.png

All of mt modelling time today has been focused on this kit.  Removing the suspension parts from their casting blocks and cleaning them up has been surprisingly time consuming.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I used CA to glue these components in place.  However, for the bogies I will use quick drying epoxy in the hope that I can get the wheels properly aligned.

And that's it. A full day's modelling!

• Like 2

I find with resin its the parts preparation which takes most of the time. The time comes back when you get to the main components though. Good to see you made a decent start.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

This one is progressing slowly but steadily.  It is a lot of work.  But then, it's a resin tank. What was I expecting?  :lol: 

I have added the bogies, wheels and return rollers.  I started to add the combined travel stops and side armour struts but then thought better of it after two units.  I was pretty sure that I would knock them off during construction.  I was right...   :wall: 

spacer.png

Then comes the big challenge - the tracks. 

There are ten lengths of resin tracks (only eight are shown here) plus 28 individual links intended for use around the idlers and drive sprockets. 

spacer.png

I have built up the tracks around the drive sprockets from individual links.  This is an easy job.

spacer.png

The track lengths do not bend without some help.  The idea is to immerse them in hot water so they soften.  I have a pan of water simmering on the stove for thi,, together with a dish of cold water so I can set the part once it is in the correct shape.  As with anything involving boiling water, wear gloves during this process.

spacer.png

You will not melt the resin but it can be made very flexible indeed.

spacer.png

• Like 5

I finally got the tracks finished.

spacer.png

I dry fitted the upper hull.   It is warped slightly.  :shrug: To be honest that's only to be expected.   I won't be attempting to fix the warp with hot water as it won't fit in any of my saucepans.  I would need to use a wok!  :lol:    Instead I will fit it with copious amounts of Aradlite Rapid and simply hold it in place until the epoxy cures.  Hopefully that will be enough.

spacer.png

I then primed the lower hull with grey plastic car primer from a rattle can.  After that, I oversprayed with black primer and followed up with a top coat of Xtracrylix XA1815 Mid Bronze Green.   The actual colour of the vehicle is Deep Bronze Green but I have always found the Xtracrylix version of that colour to be a little too dark. 

I have made a start spraying the tracks with Panzer Aces 304 Track Primer.   I'm not looking forward to paint all those tyres!  :fraidnot:

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Moving on...   I finished the tracks and got rid of the overspray on the wheels.  I will paint the tyres in slow time...  :D

spacer.png

Next step was to prime the main hull component and then fit it, using lots of Araldite Rapid.

spacer.png

Then the storage boxes and exhausts were fitted.  The turret components are only placed on the model. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now working my way through the detail parts for the hull and turret.

spacer.png

A lot of these are an incredible faff!  Some of the parts are really not suitable for resin casting as they are tiny and thin and almost impossible to remove from the casting block.  I will be using plastic card or plastic rod to represnt these.   I will probably find injection moulded replacements for the pioneer tools on the rear mudguards.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...