PK-405 B25 Mitchell - Finished

OK. She's teetering on her feet, if only temporarily.

One thing it is confirming is that I'm going to need waaaay more nose weight to prevent a tail sitter.

2022-04-05_02-35-13

Off on holiday for a few weeks so no modelling updates until after Easter. Have a good break if you are doing likewise.

Cheers

Erik

• Like 7

I hope you enjoy your break Erik,

And thanks for sharing your progress on one of the Matchbox kits, that used to hang from the ceiling in my bedroom when I was a kid.

Cheers,

Daniel.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/03/2022 at 17:36, erniewise said:

Hello All

Just a place holder for the moment, but also to act as reminder that I can't quietly forget about it having commited to doing it for the GB!

I'll be doing this in the Free French 342 Squadron scheme simply because of the tricoleur on the rudders. I'm not planning to spend too much time busying up the interior but as you can see from the sprue shots it's going to pretty empty in there so I may have no choice!

However as it will be in US olive drab I will use it as an opportunity to try out some heavy weathering/fading, including some of this fancy pre-shading that seems to be de rigueur these days.

2022-02-21_11-40-04

2022-02-21_11-39-52

I wish that I had only actually paid 95p !

2022-02-25_05-58-46

2022-02-25_05-58-11

2022-02-25_05-58-25

2022-02-25_05-58-59

Sorry, but I've got two other builds already under way so you won't see much progress on this until I have made significant progress on them.

Cheers. Erik.

Need to forewarn you; the wheels on this kit are too small! I've built mine but stopped just now until I get a pair of bigger wheels for it; it hangs too low at the tail; I have an Italeri kit on the table just now and its wheels are 16mm diameter, its tail sits just right. Might also combine the shortening of the front landing gear leg. I have the nose glass spare if you need it.

Apologies for getting back late to this thread, however this B-25 does looks really good and as Pat mentions that’s some fantastic masking on those clear parts, I’m most impressed. Nice progress. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/04/2022 at 17:42, Markh-75 said:

Need to forewarn you; the wheels on this kit are too small! I've built mine but stopped just now until I get a pair of bigger wheels for it; it hangs too low at the tail; I have an Italeri kit on the table just now and its wheels are 16mm diameter, its tail sits just right. Might also combine the shortening of the front landing gear leg. I have the nose glass spare if you need it.

Thanks for the heads up Mark.

I'll see if I can shorten the tail wheel a little but the main wheels will just have to be I'm afraid. I've got three models to finish in the next 5 weeks for this GB, and my intention for this entry was to experiment on the paint and weathering. I need to stick to that as my aim.

No more mission creep!

Cheers

Erik

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some black primer applied to mimic internal glazing framing later on hopefully. A light dusting of grey primer to check some filling and I'm ready to prime properly. I think I'll do this from a rattle can, this is comfortably the largest model I've had to deal with since my return to modelling.

20220509_223706

I've also done some work on the engine nacelles to get something more representative of theose used on the version I'm building.

20220509_223803

I think that's the last modification that I will do now, have to concentrate on getting paint on if I'm going to hit 5th June deadline.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Phew!! A deadline extension.

I had resigned myself to just getting it to a presentable condition. Hopefully I can now do this a little more justice.

20220606_072824

I've now masked the undersides and hope to get the topsides painted this week, after I've reinforced the udershading over the aluminium paint. Yes. As well as pre-shading I'm going to try paint chipping as well, a true voyage of discovery!

Cheers

Erik

• Like 3

Decals on. As this is a technique experimentation build I used @stevehnz's kleer/pledge method and I have to say it worked a treat. Silvering is minimal given they were applied directly to a matt coat.

If I had more time available I would have matt varnished post application but I want to get this finished this weekend

I'm happy with my first attempt at paint chipping and the first weathering pass, but a bit disappointed about all the crud that seems to have gathered underneath the canopies.

I'm away for work until the weekend but I think I'll be able to get this up in the gallery on Sunday.

20220615_091409

20220615_091427

Cheers

Erik

• Like 8

On 15/06/2022 at 10:03, erniewise said:

Decals on. As this is a technique experimentation build I used @stevehnz's kleer/pledge method and I have to say it worked a treat. Silvering is minimal given they were applied directly to a matt coat.

If I had more time available I would have matt varnished post application but I want to get this finished this weekend

I'm happy with my first attempt at paint chipping and the first weathering pass, but a bit disappointed about all the crud that seems to have gathered underneath the canopies.

I'm away for work until the weekend but I think I'll be able to get this up in the gallery on Sunday.

20220615_091409

20220615_091427

Cheers

Erik

The Klear is excellent stuff! As you know I paint about 4 thinned coats by brush, I use Klear to seal up my paint job, obviously just prior to applying the decals, works great for sealing the decals down before I Matt it all down.

i like the sharpness on this model, particularly on the fin flashes!, great job on an older model, nice work 👍

• Thanks 1

• erniewise changed the title to PK-405 B25 Mitchell - Finished