Albatros D.II Wing Colours +++ Sorted+++

Ray S

Hello all.

I have finally decided to try and build the 1/48 Eduard Albatros D.II which I have had in the stash for a good 12 years. I have often looked at the kit (as you do!) but put it back. I think I have found out why!

I want to do one with varnished ply as the fuselage colour, but I am struggling with trying to work out the colours of the wing upper surfaces. The instructions are not all that helpful:

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/8081.pdf

They have a chart which gives various paint brands, but they are not consistant. For example, the upper surfaces have a paint marked 4  which is Light Green on the scheme diagram, but on the conversion chart it says it is Navy Grey, another gives a code for Grey Green being Humbrol 2, which is Emerald Green, and another suggests Light Grey being Humbrol 62, which is Leather. The colours mentioned are Gunze H47 (Humbrol 160), H330 (Humbrol 163) and H303 (Humbrol 117) and to my mind they seem to be wrong.

I also looked at a later boxing, and the colours mentioned are Gunze H47 (Humbrol 160), H330 (Humbrol 163) and H303 (Humbrol 117) and to my mind they seem to be wrong, but Humbrol 163 and 117  for the Gunze equivalents seem to be too close together in colour.

I have had a look using Google to try and work out what the colours could be, and tried Scalemates to see if they had instructions for other D.II kits but have had no luck.

Can anyone help me out please with suggestions for what the colours could actually have been as Humbrol alternatives? I don't need 100% accuracy, but just to be in the right ball-park.

Yours in hope,

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Found extra info

Hello all!

I came back to this problem just now with a clearer mind, and have been able to sort out the problems I was having. I changed my search terms and found another Forum where a clue was given - the writer said they looked at the Roland C.IIa on the Wingnut Wings website and got the colours from there. I have now downloaded those instructions and I have the Humbrol suggestions in stock so I can continue (Humbrol 160, 78 and 30).

I am sorry to have brought this up when a more intensive search would have done.

Happy modelling all!

Ray

• Thanks 1

• Ray S changed the title to Albatros D.II Wing Colours +++ Sorted+++
10 hours ago, Ray S said:

Hello all!

I came back to this problem just now with a clearer mind, and have been able to sort out the problems I was having. I changed my search terms and found another Forum where a clue was given - the writer said they looked at the Roland C.IIa on the Wingnut Wings website and got the colours from there. I have now downloaded those instructions and I have the Humbrol suggestions in stock so I can continue (Humbrol 160, 78 and 30).

I am sorry to have brought this up when a more intensive search would have done.

Happy modelling all!

Ray

Don't worry about it!  The search function for this site is not very good.  I would also have suggested looking for instructions on Scalemates for the Roden 72nd scale D.II which I have in my stash.  Wingnuts is a good choice for checking on info otherwise some of use wouldn't have had a clue.  Now that I know what you came up with, if the Roden color call outs don't seem reasonable, I have another choice of where to look.

Later,

Dave

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Dan-San Abbott published an Article on the camouflage and markings of the Albatros D.II in 1995 and there are several schemes depending on the manufacturer etc. I tried to find this online again (probably from "the Aerodrome") but have an old printed-out copy. The online version could be still there somewhere. If you are interested I could scan this.

Cheers,

GrahamB

Hi Ray, 

I forgot to add that several years ago I tried to convert Methuen colour values (as used by Dan-San Abbott in the Albatros article, inter alia) into my local paint range, Resene, with RGB codes. I posted several articles on The Aerodrome site with the help of an American enthusiast to produce tables of matches. Using these, someone else produced a digital rendering of an LVG-manufactured Albtaros D.II.

Cheers,

GrahamB

51989990490_1351eaa6bb_b.jpgAlBLVG1 by Graham Bird, on Flickr

51989491733_76eb2efcd8_c.jpgAlbD2_LVG_small2 by Graham Bird, on Flickr

51989990895_d14575bddb_c.jpgAlbD2_LVG_small3 by Graham Bird, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is a great site for general information but if you want specialized gen on a specific WWI aircraft pop over to the forum at the ww1aircraftmodels.com website and put Albatros D.II in the search engine. You'll get all the info you could possibly need.

(But come back here afterwards!)

Edited by Macsporran
typo