Horrible 1/32 Revell Mosquito MKIV.

Pretty much finished the Revell 1/32 Mosquito.  Made up as a MKIV of 105 squadron in 1942. The alternative from '44 had invasion stripes and I couldn't countenance those! 

I don't have anywhere near the skills of people here but I thought I'd post up my latest concoction for your delectation.

The transfers went on well except those warnings on the wing tops which silvered horribly.

No laughing at the back there. 😜

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Neil.C
  • Like 42
  • Thanks 1

One of my all time favourite kits , Add a new cockpit interior , sort out the nose window shapes , replace the canopy and hey presto you have a decent

looking Mossie ,  Revell got the spinners correct which is more than can be said for the HK kit .  :goodjob:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I reckon you've done well. For a start you've crafted an old kit into a respectable assembly. And by Jove you've modelled it with engine covers removed for added detail and interest. Good decision not to do the invasion stripe version; imho the stripes detract from the fine lines of one of my favourite aeroplanes. Best of all, you've completed it. Sure, there's room for improvement in the paint department, but tackling the surface area of a 1/32 kit with a brush is no mean feat. Perhaps try applying more than one coat of paint (allowing lots of drying time between coats) using a soft-bristled brush with a flat tip? Have a crack at the next model to apply and develop your new found skills and you'll most likely surprise yourself. That's what this hobby/obsession is all about.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I like it - a lot! :goodjob:

The only other B Mk. IV is in totally different league - pricewise, and still has disappointedly some serious problems :doh:- so serious that I sold mine off! 

Your Mossie looks great! :D

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Thanks 1

I don't think anyone is laughing, mate. IMHO I think you've done a good job with what I understand is quite an old product. Not laughing - just respect.👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks fine to me!  This hobby is about developing skill...  a very wise modeller friend of mine would tell me 'just finish it and move on to next model' when i would be disappointed with something i built.  So right. 

When I got back into this hobby, i had to learn and develop skills.  It takes building more kits and trying out different things.  You would be shocked how fast you can become a master modeller!

I cant look at my earlier kits now!  Then there is the replacement strategy.  This same wise modeller will just build a replacement kit years later with better skills and so you can do the same.

Dont fret it, and just keep building!  Love your models and learn from them!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Looks fine to me!  This hobby is about developing skill...  a very wise modeller friend of mine would tell me 'just finish it and move on to next model' when i would be disappointed with something i built.  So right. 

When I got back into this hobby, i had to learn and develop skills.  It takes building more kits and trying out different things.  You would be shocked how fast you can become a master modeller!

I cant look at my earlier kits now!  Then there is the replacement strategy.  This same wise modeller will just build a replacement kit years later with better skills and so you can do the same.

Dont fret it, and just keep building!  Love your models and learn from them!

Well said and very true. We can all embrace your encouraging words.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks everyone. You really are a kind lot.

I know my modelling is at 12 year old level but I like to finish them however they turn out and it's a bit of fun isn't it?

I must say it looks a lot worse through a magnified camera lens. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No laughing here, Neil - I liked your build so much I just went out and bought one of these big classic Revell Mossies for myself! "Horrible" or not, it is also 1/6 the price of the Tamiya beauty and promises to be a ton of fun, so why not? 😆

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Tim Reynaga said:

No laughing here, Neil - I liked your build so much I just went out and bought one of these big classic Revell Mossies for myself! "Horrible" or not, it is also 1/6 the price of the Tamiya beauty and promises to be a ton of fun, so why not? 😆

Why not indeed Tim?

Enjoy it. 👍

I NEVER laugh at other peoples models. Simply because I wouldn't like it had the shoe been on the other foot! You've done a great job! I can't see anything horrible about it!

I know that the wing walkways decals on some models can be quite nightmarish as I have experienced it many times too. I used to use plenty of water on the decal and on the area it goes but that can give problems too, especially with line decals and very small ones, eg on prop blades, In fact I have been known to use a good quality fine pointed pen with permanent ink to just add the lines later myself, CD marking pens can be good for this but it depends on the colour you're drawing the lines onto because sometimes they can't be seen very well. Decals can be nightmarish depending on what model, what make of decal but you just do the best you can, you learn what works for you and what doesnt. I still have a certain trepidation about decals but I resolve to just get on with it and see how it goes. It takes courage to make such a large scale model; me? I concentrate on gentlemanly 1/72 scale as I dont have alot of space to store and display anything larger than that, and I always did that scale before as a lad and as a young man. To prevent silvering I use Johnsons 'Klear' (as you look through the boards you might notice people talking about 'Klear', its actually wooden floor polish! but it seems to work wonders on models in bedding down decals) to varnish the model so that decals get a good sealed surface to stick to and a layer on top when theyre dry; it can always be matted down again after the decals are on and happy. A matt surface allows air to get under the decal as the liquid dries under it. This is looking good! Keep going; Whats your next build?👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Markh-75 said:

To prevent silvering I use Johnsons 'Klear' (as you look through the boards you might notice people talking about 'Klear', its actually wooden floor polish! but it seems to work wonders on models in bedding down decals) to varnish the model so that decals get a good sealed surface to stick to and a layer on top when theyre dry

Don't be misled as I was by the fact that the makers of clear and other similar products call it 'polish'. It is actually acrylic varnish of a really tough kind. I believe Humbrol's range of Clear Varnishes are very similar, if slightly better quality. It's very useful stuff but I steered clear of it for ages because I assumed that it was some kind of wax!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1