USAAC training markings 1941

Whirly

Hello,

I'm currently finishing a Special Hobby N.A. BT-9 in the KUTA group build, see the links if you are interested:

While applying the decals supplied I found myself with three sets of individual numbers '292', two are for the wing leading edge like in this example:

North American : BT-9C

I don't know what to do with the third one, nothing can be found in the instructions.

Then I studied again a high resolution version of the only image I have of '292' and noticed a shadow over the underwing 'ARMY'. 

2022-03-02_09-38-53

Maybe it shows where the third decals goes?

Here are the intructions for reference, hope to not breach any forum rule linking to a commercial site

https://www.super-hobby.hu/zdjecia/9/4/2/1152_2_SPH72069_4.jpg

Thank you!

Any chance It could just be a spare decal?

Considering it's small size, it really wouldn't serve it's purpose on the under wing location as a marking viewed when in flight. but that is just an opinion.  No doubt there is something in the colour photo you have pointed out.   Difficult to make out exactly, but seems to be only two digits or letters, and kind of resembles CT?  

It doesn't appear to be standard to have anything above above the ARMY logo either:

spacer.png

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Hi Jack,

I checked all the images available online, including that you just posted: none is showing a code above 'ARMY', but I think this addition is linked to the code 46ED292 over the wing and split in two on the fin.

This seem a revision of the markings which came very late in the BT-9 career, hence it is so difficult to see from all sides.

I *guess* the correct rendering would be something like this P-36, so 46ED292 (not 292 only) in small characters above 'ARMY', but it's just a speculation from my part as I'm not expert of those markings!

Rgds

Curtiss_P-36A_38-33_16th_Pursuit_Group_1

• Like 3

It does seem to be a transition of serial placement, but note the P-36 does not have them stenciled on the leading edge.   Neither does the colour photo of 292.  

Photo wise, yes there is a lack showing undersides and best I could find was this one...

spacer.png

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JackG said:

but note the P-36 does not have them stenciled on the leading edge.   Neither does the colour photo of 292.  

Fair point, I did not notice that! 

All considered, I think I will leave out the third decal and that's it, too many unknowns in the equation :D

Thanks for your help!

Rgds

The undersurface code would apply to the USAAC example in the kit.  The 'GHQAF' designator comprised the Group (at different times as a mission-letter sequence combination or a number=mission combination, followed by the plane number within the parent unit.  On the P-36 above, it is aircraft 33 in the 16th Pursuit Group.  Training units had  larger sets of numbers assigned, since they had a lot of aircraft.  The GHQAF designator was to be displayed on the fin and above and below the port wing.  Since the ARMY took up a large chunk of area, there was considerable latitude in positioning the undersurface GHQAF designator.  Technically it was to be "1/3 of that portion of the chord from the top of the letters comprising the word 'ARMY' to the center of the leading edge of the wing, as measured at a point 3/4 of the distance from the fuselage to the inner edge of the Air Corps insignia" but from a review of these elusive markings, I'm betting that the Tech Sergeant said "fit it in thereabouts and make it look neat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 months later...

The under surface image here is an ex-factory view, no unit markings applied.  One of your small number with ED46 goes under the port outer main planes inboard of the ARMY marking to be read from the front .  It is aircraft number and school designation ED46, 46th Air School.   The other two small code go on both side of the fin above the serial number.   I built/ modified one of these kits. The SH kit is a re-pop of the Azure kit.  Which I must add is a mix of two scales fuselage & wing, the canopy is one whole frame too long but cannot be cut and shortened because the frames are evenly spaced.   The tail surfaces are correct surface detail and nicely cast but oversized about 1/69 scale I think and the fin/rudder too far back.  These early fabric fuselage versions had the fin chord base level with the tail plane.  The kit has been based on the metal fuselage AT-6 series which had the rudder post moved 8 inches back.    I used a narrowed and shortened fuselage and various bits combined with an Academy AT-6G to build a BC-1.    You cannot build an accurate NJ-1 from the kit either.  Apart from the faults above the NJ-1 had a different engine and cowling.  

• Like 2