Gloster Javelin Decals

Mark4700

I hope this is in the right forum, sorry if not.

I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm building the Novo 1/72 Gloster Javelin. All has gone well with the building, rescribing and painting of the kit. But then came the decals. They have perished, break up into tiny pieces and are unfortunately unusable. I've looked on eBay and the only ones on there are around £15 with P&P, the kit only cost me £8! Can anyone point me in the right direction for some replacements? The main items I need are the roundels and the tri coloured tail marking. The rest I can cobble together with leftover decals box.

Unfortunately the Javelin is not an easy subject.... roundel size was 36" on the fuselage, 66" over the wings and 54" under the wings. Now 1/72 roundels equivalent to 36" and 54" are easy to find, the 66" roundels however are generally not included in the various sheets dedicated to British postwar roundels.

The fin flash is also not easy to sort as it was in a very unusual size.

Your best bet is to search for a set of Frog or Airfix decals, maybe someone used aftermarket ones and can part with these. Ebay can also be a source and I see that there is a Latvian dealer offering sets of original Frog decals. These will be old decals so I'd coat them with Klear or Micro Decal Film just in case before using them.

When I built a Novo Javelin many years ago I had similar problems. I managed to save the roundels but for the fin flash in the end I resorted to painting it in place

• Like 1

Maybe more decal than you might like but Hannants feature a Javelin on Xtradecal sheet 72091.  It's the one featuring 23 Squadron over a period of 50 years.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RJP said:

Xtradecal sheet 72091

As well as a Javelin you aso get decals for:

Bristol Blenheim Mk.IF L8617 YP-K RAF Wittering 1940 Dk Green/Dk Earth black/white undersurface

Douglas Havoc Mk.I BJ495 YP-W Overall matt black RAF Ford 1941

de Havilland Mosquito NF.II DZ230 YP-A RAF Luqa, Malta 1943

de Havilland Mosquito Mk.VI HJ675 YP-V Italy 1943

BAC/EE Lightning F.3 XP759/J 1966 or F.6 XR725/A 1968 both RAF Leuchars

McDonnell-Douglas FGR.2 Phantom XV423/E RAF Wattisham 1980; XV463/E Pt Stanley, Falklands 1983

Panavia Tornado F.3 XE967/EU RAF Leeming 1990

Which is not a bad selection for £7.99 - works out at about £1 per aircraft.

• Like 1

I bought the Xtradecal sheet myself, trying a theme approach to stash clearing.  I have all the kits I need except the Lightning.  True to form, I considered getting a Lightning to complete the group, ignoring the obvious object of actually reducing the stash.  Admirable restrain has been exercised.

Sigh.

Hello Mark4700,

if you wish to finish your Javelin in the Sixty Squadron markings, they used two different sizes of wing roundels on the top surfaces. So check your photos and you might have the required size in your spares.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

Your Novo decals may not have perished - they used to shatter into a hundred pieces even when the kits were brand new. I used to put a coat of decal film on top before putting them anywhere near water.

If you frequent model shows, you might find second hand kit dealers with big boxes of loose decals sheets - I saw Heller Javelin sheets at a show a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1