70ft 9in British Power Boat Company MGB 1942 1:48th Scale

Happy Holidays.

Everyone needs some downtime from the everyday hassels of life.

Not Modelling though! Take the beastie with you and give us regular (brass) updates.

how'd you expect us to survive for 2 weeks (14 days! that's 336 hours!)

Just cancel the hol and get back to the bench!

Please

Tom

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, mark.au said:

We must be looking at different models

Ha, Mark, I’m looking at the model while you have only the pictures. Still, I will pull it round, just frustrated with myself that I can’t do better 

thanks for all the encouraging comments, want to get back now to hire it finished 

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

Hi Steve - I've been away and haven't had a chance to catch up - Thrice Wow!  The weapons continue to amaze me by their detail, and I think the paint job is spot in.  It's a beautfiful looking model :clap2:

Rob

• Thanks 1

On 12/07/2022 at 23:32, robgizlu said:

I think the paint job is spot in.

Thanks Rob, your kind comments are much appreciated.  It’s interesting that having only two colours to choose from (White and 507c) can make decisions so tough. I’m in many minds regarding the guns for instance, tough to discern from the photos 

cheers

steve

Hi Steve, 

I'm plodding slowly through this scratchbuilding masterclass so that I don't miss anything but I thought I'd let you know hoe much I'm enjoying it. The subject is not my preferred period but the techniques are universal and much appreciated 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I'd let you know hoe much I'm enjoying it.

Thanks Bertie, I hope you find something of use in my musings.  Back home on Saturday so progress updates will resume next week 

Cheers

Steve

little update from today's tidy up of the paint.

I added the roll-up window blinds from a sheet of flat papier-mâché, bit fiddly but the result has random creases that I think represent canvas quite well.  Also note the IFF aerial and a start made on the 2pdr paint.  Forward lifebelts glued in-place and a lot more fuss over the breakwater

DSCN2615

DSCN2614

Ladder frame glued in place, chest just resting ...

More tomorrow

Cheers

Steve

• Like 12

Ok, my first attempt at chipping, in an area where it really can't be seen, the bridge forward bulkhead

DSCN2616

Well, its not great, but at least it will lift what is otherwise a very dark space.  Also note the faint diagonal lines on the hull, an indication of diagonal planking, without it being in your face.  That works for me

Flag locker installed

DSCN2618

And the forward bulkhead and gratings completing the bridge, sorry not a great picture

DSCN2617

And after studying this picture some more, the strange fitting wiht four insulators on the whaleback roof is for the aerial, just discernible in this picture.  Note the cowl vents are dark, a little weird, so presumable B15, I've gone with that 

mgb75

So I installed 4 brass wires (0.25mm dia) down the mast, they are ready to install once the mast gets fixed.

Below another bad shot showing the guns painted waiting for improved chipping effects.  The guns are matt black wiht a little gunmetal and metallic black mixed in.  Painting of the Holman projector and smoke machine progressing

DSCN2619

Bits of progress

Cheers

Steve

• Like 11

42 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

The soldering is really food for thought. Those guns look gorgeous.

Wow Bertie, that must have been a marathon, many thanks for the torrent of likes

I don't know why so many people are worried about soldering, there are far harder skills to learn.  Plus, if you get it wrong, just unsolder it and try again.. :wink:

Cheers

Steve

15 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Wow Bertie, that must have been a marathon, many thanks for the torrent of likes

I don't know why so many people are worried about soldering, there are far harder skills to learn.  Plus, if you get it wrong, just unsolder it and try again.. :wink:

Cheers

Steve

Oh I know how to solder, I was an electrician. It's that I didn't consider how useful it could be in the model boat world. Now that, I am new to.

The likes were so you could see me coming. 😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Spot on Steve. I was really dubious about soldering PE, but it was easy. Just make sure you plan.

Jon

• Like 1

Hours of detail work later, the model looks much the same in the photographs, just a bit dirtier.  In the flesh it looks better than these pictures but is still very much work in progress.

Still, in the interest of openness, here is where I have got to..

DSCN2621

Where do you stop with washes and chipping etc?  Probably another day, trying to achieve an even finish.  There is a lot of detail these pictures don't show, tiny areas of rust etc.  

DSCN2620

Certainly more work is needed on the hull, the pictures of the real ones show they got very streaked

DSCN2623

I'm pleased with the main armament and the smoke machine looks quite good

DSCN2626

Mast still not fitted, just resting in place.  The decal sheet didn't print the white markings, don't know why, I've asked.  They've always been perfect in the past...  Sort of holding me up varnishing the hull

I still have the Carly floats to put together and the anchor to make (last brass bit), plus the small amount of rigging and hand lines, then on to the stand

Cheers

Steve

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I'd be a bit nervous about weathering it

Bertie

I'm always nervous painting let alone weathering, but my aim is always to give an impression of a real boat in wartime, not a builders model for a museum.  Real boats got dirty, rusted, got bashed, were covered in ropes and folded canvas.  I'm making a real effort to improve my painting with this one, I hope it will be worth it, it is a long journey...

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Courageous said:

Looking used and lived in without it being over done, Good going.

Stuart

Second that what he said.  👍

beefy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I just see the mistakes like we all do...

Meanwhile, a little more progress, actually the main boat is now more or less complete bar some final weathering, wind-screens, hand-wires and rigging, flag and dressing up (ie Carley floats, rope coils, buckets etc (got to have a bucket), and the solitary sailor for scale.

Rudders and props installed.  Most of the deck equipment is fixed now, for final weathering

DSCN2629

Depth-charges in-place

DSCN2628

DSCN2627

And a profile shot in front of the drawing to prove I got the size right...

DSCN2630

The paint will have to do...

Cheers

Steve

• Like 6

Progress on the Carley rafts, a new design incorporating the rope floats and a removable platform.  The platform is supported from the raft by a rope mesh so you can get in and not be washed off, would be very cold of course.

Here is a picture of an actual raft preserved in the Lisbon Maritime Museum, see the small wooden floats on the grab rope

IMG_3093

So I had this mad idea to make a conical rope mesh, would probably work in 1:35th scale, but it really doesn't scale lower than that.  You can see my attempt in the background of this picture of a sheet of canvas (tissue paper and weak PVA) that I will use to cut out the gun, depth charge, Holman projector etc covers.  These are stowed in the open bin on the port side which is empty right now, more later when its dry.  The wrinkled effect is accidental but nice (I did smooth it out a little more)...  

DSCN2635

Anyway, all I did in the end was wind rope round and round the base to simulate the net coiled up.  Also remember to add a painter to the raft, coiled up inside.  No good chucking it over the side to see it float away

The paddles were carved from lime wood wiht a small rotary sanding disk and hand sanding.  Here is a strip of wood with the shape stuck on so I get the the same.  The paddles are 4 ft long.

DSCN2632

And the end result, painted, weathered and secured in place with 4 ring-bolts

DSCN2637

The lighting in my workshop is terrible, hopefully the RFI pictures will show the colours off better.  In the flesh it looks right to me

DSCN2639

The hull has had more wash treatment, the whaleback deckhouse paint actually looks OK now, it could of course be better, but I don't think it stands out as bad.  Outlining the windows with a narrow black wash line helped, ditto on the life-belts

There is a faint hint of green wash on the waterline, easier to see in the flesh so to speak

DSCN2638

Rothco and Frost had missed the white printing on the draft marks but are sending a new set, once these are on, I can varnish the hull and sort the small amount of rigging out

Nearly done

Cheers

Steve

• Like 8

Sorry, just realised that wasn't particularly helpful as I didn't bother to photograph the raft before final assembly.  To help explain what I mean, here is the 3d model that I printed, spaced as it would be for the mesh

carley

Hope that helps explain what I meant

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4