1:72 Fujimi McDonnell Douglas FG.1 Phantom A&AEE

Bill, you could of just built up those engine FOD guards and it would have been impressive. Now combine those with a magnificently built Phantom and this is yet another absolutely stunning build. I’m out of superlatives mate… top job! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

That's lovely!

I feel the same way about bare metal finishes that you do about grey schemes. I don't understand why anyone would go that route if they had some nice camouflage option or eye-catching special scheme.

• Thanks 1

Very nice build! I have the Hasegawa High-Tech kit in the same livery and the Alcock and Brown decals for use on a Revell re-release. But I just do not find the time to finish them 😞 Go ahead with the Alcock and Brown Version :popcorn:

• Thanks 1

Beautiful work; very crisp and clean but at the same time visually interesting and realistic.

I often wonder what happened to the decals on the real XT597 after IAT '83. They were applied on 22 July, and the aircraft departed, still wearing the celebratory outfit, on the 25th. Perhaps the decals were removed at Boscombe immediately upon arrival...

Jay

• Thanks 1

Superb as always Bill,..... and an aircraft that I saw flying often when I was stationed near to Boscombe Down,....... albeit in its more `normal' raspberry ripple scheme without the adornments! 

For your next one,..... well the Alcock & Brown scheme is nice,..... but what about one of the two overall blue retirement aircraft from 19 & 92 Sqn when they were in Germany? Now they do loo fantastic!! 

Whatever you choose,..... it will be brilliant,.... just like this one,

Nice one mate,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

...I have another Fujimi kit in my stash - and the Xtradecal sheet for Alcock & Brown. Should it be a future project? Vote early and vote often!    :)

Would be a great pair on the shelf.

Stunning work Bill and excellent photos. :worthy:

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tomcat101 said:

Question - the nose looks a bit odd to me in the photos, is it supposed to be standard or is supposed to be modified in some way? 

Yes, XT597 had a special radome that incorporated additional equipment. I'm not sure what, but I suspect cameras as the bottom of the radome has two flat rectangular areas that look like windows. I could be mistaken, but I'm sure someone who knows can come along and inform us. Fujimi provide the special radome on a separate sprue:

IMG_6017

You have to slice off the kit's original radome and add the special one (thankfully you cut along a well-defined panel line):

IMG_6279

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Bill, you could of just built up those engine FOD guards and it would have been impressive. Now combine those with a magnificently built Phantom and this is yet another absolutely stunning build. I’m out of superlatives mate… top job!

Thanks! The FOD covers really add a unique look to the aircraft. They were pretty easy to make. I think the most difficult part of the build was getting the blue demarcation line correct on the fuselage sides.

10 hours ago, upnorth said:

I feel the same way about bare metal finishes that you do about grey schemes. I don't understand why anyone would go that route if they had some nice camouflage option or eye-catching special scheme.

I'm not a big fan of natural metal schemes either unless they have have some colour, like all those cool Super Sabres from the 50s. It's the same with the low-viz schemes - I'm doing a Super Hornet now for the group build, but it's a CAG bird and has some nice colourful markings. Although I have a YF-23 waiting in the wings and just the appeal of that aircraft trumps the fact that it's all grey.

7 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous! Who needs grey when you have Technicolour like that?

Yeah, I really like special schemes whether anniversary markings like this one or some other fancy display aircraft. I'll be doing the new Fine Molds F-4EJ Kai in the special 2020 "Blue" markings. She should look good next to this build of XT597 and some of my other Phancy Phantoms:

IMG_1744

100_6552

4 hours ago, tonyot said:

For your next one,..... well the Alcock & Brown scheme is nice,..... but what about one of the two overall blue retirement aircraft from 19 & 92 Sqn when they were in Germany? Now they do loo fantastic!!

That's a great idea Tony! XT899 and XV408?

Thanks for all the nice compliments mates! It helps keep the mojo flowing.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

Utterly delicious! A stunner as always.

22 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

...I have another Fujimi kit in my stash - and the Xtradecal sheet for Alcock & Brown. Should it be a future project? Vote early and vote often!    :)

Yes it should be.

Mark.

• Thanks 1