Porsche 911T Police

On 07/03/2022 at 21:04, bigbadbadge said:

Looks lovely to me too, you're doing a great job  , those mirrors look sweet  although I have always wondered why manufacturers added mirrors to the top of the wings interrupting that gorgeous shape, or was that a Police Mod ?

Chris

Thanks a lot Chris. Yes, the idea of placing the mirrors like this does nothing good for the look of the car, not to mention the hopeless task of making any adjustments... It was not a specific police mod, but a quite common way to add external mirrors after taking delivery from the factory/dealer in those days over here.

16 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

Me to and I will be blatantly copying your construction technique when I make the mirrors for my Caterham!  - Andy 

Many thanks Andy. Picking ideas from WIP's is exactly what they are for; I'm very happy, and looking forward to see the work.

• Like 3

I've spent the better part of two full days spraying paint, the body is still only in primer and there is still work to do on the parts. It's a seemingly endless process of moving pinned parts back and forth between blocks and going back and forth between the work bench and the spray boot. But at least progress is being made.

911_45.jpg

911_46.jpg

911_47.jpg

• Like 13

On 3/7/2022 at 8:04 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Looks lovely to me too, you're doing a great job  , those mirrors look sweet  although I have always wondered why manufacturers added mirrors to the top of the wings interrupting that gorgeous shape, or was that a Police Mod ?

Chris

All over the internet I see people wondering about this.  But wing mirrors (that’s why they’re called that) were the norm on cars in UK till the 70s really, if you were posh you had one on the passenger side too.  Modern door mounted mirrors are often still colloquially referred to as wing mirrors!

I assume the move from wing to door was in the call of pedestrian safety which was becoming an issue in car design.  Despite what seems an inconvenient distance for adjusting or viewing now, at the time many didn’t like the different aspect seen in the mirror, or more particularly that the door mirror requires an active look away from the view in front.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, malpaso said:

All over the internet I see people wondering about this.  But wing mirrors (that’s why they’re called that) were the norm on cars in UK till the 70s really, if you were posh you had one on the passenger side too.  Modern door mounted mirrors are often still colloquially referred to as wing mirrors!

I assume the move from wing to door was in the call of pedestrian safety which was becoming an issue in car design.  Despite what seems an inconvenient distance for adjusting or viewing now, at the time many didn’t like the different aspect seen in the mirror, or more particularly that the door mirror requires an active look away from the view in front.

It was very common here in Sweden too, almost a norm for after market fitting om external mirrors in the 60's. The aspect of viewing them trough the windscreen should of course not be overlooked as one (the?) advantage. I restored a -64 Corsair 1600 GT in the late 80's with wing mirrors like that, and now that you mention it I very well remember the view.

4 hours ago, John_W said:

Looking good. 

When I saw Swedish Police 911, I thought you were doing Saga's car from "The Bridge".

Thanks John. Aah, "The Bridge", yes indeed. Modelling Saga´s 911 has been on my list as well. I love her character, but after the second season the series developed into too much weird external-psycho-drama-happenings for my taste. But the earlier episodes were excellent!

• Like 3

I managed a little more of moving pinned parts back and forth while spraying and brush detail painting in the afternoon.

911_49.jpg

I still have all detailing of the dashboard and door cards to do. I had to put them aside a little as the rest was more than enough at once.

911_50.jpg

911_51.jpg

Also I have all washing and dry brushing left, but at least it is progress.

911_52.jpg

And there's the white base on the wings and bumpers. Next some more fine sanding and then masking for black base.

911_53.jpg

• Like 9

I like that little suitcase with the reinforced corners, my parents had a big one like that in the '70's. But boy what a load of parts you have there!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

I like that little suitcase with the reinforced corners, my parents had a big one like that in the '70's. But boy what a load of parts you have there!

That's the case for the camera equippment. Those were the days when things like this were still made with high quality and made to last for very long.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

I love her character, but after the second season the series developed into too much weird external-psycho-drama-happenings for my taste. But the earlier episodes were excellent!

Couldn't agree more! I've watched the first two series 3 or 4 times now, never bothered watching the later ones again! Have researched googled the colour of Saga's 911 a few times but there doesn't seem to be full agreement as to what it is, but the majority say Jager Grun? Then I read that it's an early narrow narrow body (!) 911 without flared arches and I don't know if I can be bothered with that mod to a Fujimi kit! 

Keith

• Like 2

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Couldn't agree more! I've watched the first two series 3 or 4 times now, never bothered watching the later ones again! Have researched googled the colour of Saga's 911 a few times but there doesn't seem to be full agreement as to what it is, but the majority say Jager Grun? Then I read that it's an early narrow narrow body (!) 911 without flared arches and I don't know if I can be bothered with that mod to a Fujimi kit! 

A US sold 1977 911S with small arches (narrow body I think it was still called) in "Jäger Grün" metallic, apparently an odd colour only on special order cars. As far as I undertand there is no kit available in the narrow 1977 911S configuration, and US spec on top of that, so some surgery and/or kit bashing would be needed. But that is as far as I understand, Porsche kits is not my expert field. Might have to reserach that again...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

This Citroen box behind looks interesting too.

Mmm, yes, most certainly is. There are two SM's in the pile there, I'm quite eager to start one. Fantastic resin kit in that box! Saddly Mr Russia President doesn't seem to agree with me...

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Mmm, yes, most certainly is. There are two SM's in the pile there, I'm quite eager to start one. Fantastic resin kit in that box! Saddly Mr Russia President doesn't seem to agree with me...

I hope I haven't left it too late to order one of those kits.  But there are more important things going on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I hope I haven't left it too late to order one of those kits.  But there are more important things going on.

I think your chance for the foreseeable future is if you can find one still left in dealer stock somewhere in the civilized world. Even if I hope I'm wrong...

• Thanks 1

Sanded and masked. The complex and tight surfaces on the bumpers are masked with Bare Metal foil, then the well known Tamiya tape for the rest.

911_54.jpg

And soon with black sprayed and masked off. Both black and white are air brushed automotive acrylic lacquer. I think I will give this a very light 2000-grit sanding and a thin coat of 2K clear before the decals.

911_55.jpg

911_56.jpg

• Like 15