Porsche 911T Police

More very nice work Jörgen, all those details are superbly neatly done - and I really like the Polis ping pong bats.... :whistle: :)

A 911 looks great in black and white too (unless it's in your rear view mirror!)

Keith

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks for the kind praise guys, glad you like the work.

Indeed @keefr22, this is not the car you want to see in your mirror, especially when driving faster than they like... 😎

The engine and gearbox is in place, and brakes and wheels completed.

911_63.jpg

Seats with equipment on the back fitted.

911_64.jpg

The first parts of the interior are coming together. I think I need to get the seatbelts sorted before moving further ahead here.

911_65.jpg

With the decals dried for a few hours I sprayed the clear coat to be done with that as well. This will need a few days of rest now.

911_66.jpg

911_67.jpg

• Like 13

Many thanks gentlemen for you kind praise.

I'm having a bit of second thoughts. Perhaps the body is too shiny. Also from some angles the decal edges are a bit visible. I tried a new decal film for my printing here, that I have never covered in clear before. It is a little thicker than my usual extremely thin decal film, which is so thin that it is very easy to stretch the decals ever so slightly, which can be annoying when double layers are needed, like white printing on black paint. These went on very well, but are now more visible under the high gloss clear. Perhaps I should sand the surface back a bit and apply a 50/50 mix of gloss and semi gloss clear...

911_68.jpg

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

It would probably be more period correct. I think by asking the question you've probably answered it yourself 🙂

I suppose you are probably correct... We will see what tomorrow may bring... 🙂

• Like 1

I cut some pieces of 0,25x1 mm Evergreen strips to make the inner B-pillars, just to have something to hang the seatbelts on to. With the body temporarily installed they were taped in place and tack glued.

911_69.jpg

With the body off again they were glued thoroughly and painted black.

911_70.jpg

• Like 8

I think you should only worry about it being too shiny if that's not what you want. It all depends on what sort of appearance you're going for. If you're building it as in use, then it probably wasn't so shiny (although it wouldn't surprise me if a 911 police car was given a bit more TLC than a standard panda car), but if it's being done as museum exhibit today then it could well have a very good shine on it. Ultimately, you're building the model for yourself so the choice is yours. Personally I think it looks very good as it is though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a great idea for fitting seatbelts! I've long struggled with finding a good way of doing that, usually resorting to cutting open the front windows and fiddling them in from the outside at the end of the build! I shall be stealing trying your method next time! :)

As to the shine, as @Spiny says, your model. your way!

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@JeroenS @bigbadbadge @Spiny @keefr22 Thank you all for your thoughts. The clear is actually already a mix of gloss and semi gloss, but it doesn't show in reality, I held back too much in my mix... If it wasn't for the decal edges, that I would like to take down a bit, I wouldn't have bothered, but as it is now I'm picking up courage at the breakfast table to go up and do a bit of sanding and then hopefully a slightly less shiny clear coat. We will see if I will regret it... 

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

What a great idea for fitting seatbelts! I've long struggled with finding a good way of doing that, usually resorting to cutting open the front windows and fiddling them in from the outside at the end of the build! I shall be stealing trying your method next time! :)

Go right ahead! It's an idea I stole somewhere sometime in my turn. Good ideas are meant to be used 👍

• Like 3

With the bodyshell going on and off I took the opportunity to glue the exhaust system when it could be aligned properly to the rear end.

911_71.jpg

Then It was just to go ahead and do what ultimately had to be done. The clear coat was carefully sanded flat with 1200 grit, taking the risk to go as far as eliminating the decal edges completely, or all but that.

911_72.jpg

There was a small price to be paid for that; some small damage to the top white decal layer on the front bonnet and left door. I'm sure it will be worth it.

911_73.jpg

911_74.jpg

I did some repair work using thin white acrylic lacquer and a fine pointed paint brush.

911_75.jpg

911_76.jpg

And then a new round of clear followed, with some more semi-gloss in the mix this time. Spraying was routine without problems, thankfully. It's still glossy, but I think slightly less glossy, and it should flatten just a little bit more as it cures fully during the day. But most importantly; the decals edges against the glossy black are all gone. It's still thin coats, so scribing and detail still look OK. I just have to be patient and let this rest now.

911_77.jpg

911_78.jpg

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Thanks a lot Ron, means a lot coming from a man with your skills.

Too kind B

IMHO...your work in 1/24 equals mine in 1/12 comfortably...with your current build being a favourite of mine :)

Ron

• Thanks 1

Just right. it had to be new at some point in it's life, and cars weren't as shiny then as they are today.

Indeed, some cars today look too shiny to me. It doesn't look right on a restoration, for instance.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, silver911 said:

Too kind B

IMHO...your work in 1/24 equals mine in 1/12 comfortably...with your current build being a favourite of mine :)

I bow my head in gratitude, but I think I have quite some way to go equal that, especially in detail painting and effects. Your work is one I draw inspiration from. 👍

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Just right. it had to be new at some point in it's life, and cars weren't as shiny then as they are today.

Indeed, some cars today look too shiny to me. It doesn't look right on a restoration, for instance.

Yes, I'm more and more leaning towards slightly less gloss, even when modelling a brand new car. Just a slight break, still quite glossy, but not that super shiny 2K polished looked. I'm not saying what is wrong or right, I just try to reach what I think "oh, that looks real", and I suppose my goal might be moving a bit all the time... No, Im not drunk, yet, just thinking in writing... Im still working with 2K automotive products for my bodyshells, as I have done for many years, but Im experimenting more and more with percentages of semi gloss versions in my mix. I'm travelling some sort of path, not sure where it's leading... 🤔

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

I'm travelling some sort of path, not sure where it's leading... 🤔

Perhaps, towards realism. A shiny model car looks like a shiny model car.

You can't really weather a car in the same way that people weather tanks and Aircraft*.

But a lightly weathered Aircraft model usually looks better than an over weathered one.

In the same way, a slightly shiny car model looks more in scale than mirror finish.

I think I know what I mean here, I hope you get an idea of what I'm rambling on about. 

*Unless it's a 4WD

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Perhaps, towards realism. A shiny model car looks like a shiny model car.

You can't really weather a car in the same way that people weather tanks and Aircraft*.

But a lightly weathered Aircraft model usually looks better than an over weathered one.

In the same way, a slightly shiny car model looks more in scale than mirror finish.

I think I know what I mean here, I hope you get an idea of what I'm rambling on about. 

*Unless it's a 4WD

I think your words mean something very similar to my thinking 👍

• Thanks 1

Work started on the seatbelts. There is some confusion. I have it from good Porsche authority that a 1970 911 sold over here would have had fixed three point Klippan belts in grey colour at delivery. However, if the police cars followed that is another question. The earlier police 912's most certainly did, I have plenty of photo proof of that. But the 911's from 1970 and onwards are all showing more modern retractable three point belts in photos, even "my" car in period photos pre-1972. Probably they were very soon retro fitted with better seat belts, and the installations I can see are very much retro fitted. So after long internal debates I started mocking up some grey 3-point retractable belts following photo impressions.

911_79.jpg

What then happens is that they interfere somewhat with the small flashlights fitted just aft each door opening. I'll admit making those after a 912 photo, so perhaps they were moved in the 911's (to somewhere not seen), or it's once again proportions in a scale model acting up. Nevermind, I like the small flashlights I made, so I'll live with this. More of the interior details are also fitted along the way.

911_80.jpg

911_81.jpg

• Like 12