1/72nd RAF Armstrong Whitworth Argosy C.1. Mach2 kit. Finished

Mr T

Argosy 19

As you can see, the airframe is complete and after priming, the first white coat to the fuselage and boom upper surface has been sprayed on. Hopefully another coat on tonight if it doesn't rain again, using some white primer for coverage. 

No more posts till the weekend as we are off to see my sister in law in London and hopefully the Flypast on Thursday. Look forward to a train journey instead of the tedious drive down the M1 and onto to Clapham Common. 

• Like 9

I think this the biggest model I have built, apart from an Italeri C130A I built for a branch IPMS display at the Nationals in about 1988-9. Was pleased with it, but it disappeared without trace not long afterwards (ie stolen). 

It has been challenging at times, just the work of cleaning up the parts and making them fit was time consuming and it seemed ages before any progress was being made. My main concern is finishing the model in time. The final week of the group build we are away on holiday. The Argosy does have character. 

BTW, I hope you are well and recovered from Covid. 

2 minutes ago, Mr T said:

I think this the biggest model I have built, apart from an Italeri C130A I built for a branch IPMS display at the Nationals in about 1988-9. Was pleased with it, but it disappeared without trace not long afterwards (ie stolen). 

Who steals a model? Let alone a model C-130?  

2 minutes ago, Mr T said:

BTW, I hope you are well and recovered from Covid. 

I am, thank you! I just got back from a 5k run, even, so my lungs work (even if my body is slow and flabby).

• Like 1

It is not unheard. Most Scale Model Worlds have seen thefts from both the competition and branch displays, although security has been increased and it is now rare. 

Couldn't even think of a 5k run, although the walking group I am in do about four to five miles in a couple of hours over stiles, hills etc along footpaths. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr T said:

Couldn't even think of a 5k run, although the walking group I am in do about four to five miles in a couple of hours over stiles, hills etc along footpaths. 

I enjoy a nice long walk if I have something to listen to. I used to do an eight-miler around my in-laws' house in the winter, just me, an audiobook, and a thermos full of hot cocoa (okay, and some rum).

• Haha 3

I used to do that a while ago, although didn't bother with the flask. Our group are quite a sociable bunch of pensioners and just tend to follow the walk leader. Having now graduated to that status (one of several) and received my ceremonial high vis vest, all of a sudden I have to know where we are going. The Ordnance Survey Maps app is your friend here. Audio books are a bit of a life saver for me, helped no end when I was recovering from a stroke that messed up my word recognition, still listen to them while modelling. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

my ceremonial high vis vest

Based on my observations in 2015 and 2019, a man in a hi-vis probably can summon up compliance from the average Briton more readily than whoever's Prime Minister. A heady responsibility, friend.

• Haha 2

Our current incumbent likes to dress up when he goes places especially with a bit of high vis. No further comment as I like being a member of Britmodeller. 

• Haha 4

After a good long weekend in London (Inc Jubilee flypast live), back to modelling and more progress on the Argosy. Both gloss white and aluminium finish on now, and the masks have been removed, revealing a small amount of overspray on the white. This was much less than I expected it might be, but still a bit annoying as I thought
I had cracked it. I have used car sprays which have a gloss and quite hard finish, and so I don't think it will need gloss varnishing before the decals go on. I  am making some decals and just realised it will need some walkway decals on the wing. Might have to make some after I have had a look through my spare decal collection. Basically a set of narrow black lines with some 'step here' lettering. My big worry is whether I will finish by the deadline, as we are away from the 17th for a week and I do not want to rush it as I do not think I will build another one.

52132972675_fd650492fd_c_d.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks for the pointer, I am sure I have some spare Lancaster decals and I have some Xtradecal stripes. Wasn't the Argosy wing as originally built based on the Shackleton wing before a redesign. Apparently it was not Armstrong Whitworths idea, but forced on them. 

• Like 2

Halfords Nissan Starburst Silver. I dithered for ages in front of the car sprays. I was going to use some Citroen Artic Silver, which I found at home, but it was a bit dull. I think I was a bit lucky as my use of car sprays, apart from primer, has been a bit hit and miss. Once it has a coat of varnish on it, I think it will be about right. 

• Thanks 1

I know what you mean. I would only use them on something this big and try to spray them as lightly as possible. 

First off, a huge sigh of relief that the GB closing date has been extended. I didn't think I would get this finished as we are away from today for a week in East Surrey and Kent, leaving my son to look after the cat.

The decals are all on. Apart from the Squadron badge and the Wallingford coat of arms from the kit sheet, every thing is home printed. The blue stripes proved a bit more challenging than I would have liked, and it took me longer than I thought to get all the decals on. The kit instructions are a bit of a mishmash of Argosy markings from different periods. Mine model is based on XN847 as she appeared in 1966 from a photo that is on ABPics. Once back from holiday, the undercarriage, props and aerials can be attached. I have really grown to like this kit, despite it somewhat rugged nature. Might have a go at the Mach2 Britannia I have in the stash.

52153108259_c01f06560f_c_d.jpg

52153363985_182eca9ba8_c_d.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 8:02 AM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Wow, @Mr T!  You make this look so "easy."  This is inspirational work on your part.  Thanks for taking this one on!

Thanks very much for your kind comments. I was surprised by how well the kit has gone together, and how much I have enjoyed it, although I want it finished now. 

19 hours ago, PeterB said:

The paint finish is impressive - far better than my attempts at silver/NMF.

Pete

Thank you, although the camera flatters the model. Now I am adding aerials etc, the finish is not so pristine. Still, in real life they were fairly hard worked! 

I have got it on its undercarriage now and most of the aerials have been added at least once. I realised the other day that the props had not had their black de-icer strips added to the blade leading edges and so that is the current job. Another photo or two in a couple of days when some touching up if paintwork has been done. 

• Like 2