2022 USA trip - Red Flag, Fallon and others

Red Dot

hi all,

I recently had a fabulous trip to the States for some aviation photography, so i thought i'd share some images here.

They are mainly taken at Nellis AFB during Red Flag 22/1 or NAS Fallon whilst standing next to the runway 🙂. And yes, it is a real Mi-24. It is used by a contractor for adversary training.

Hope you like them

Andy

A-10_USAF_(16).jpg

EA-18_US_Navy_(16).jpg

EA-18_US_Navy_(8).jpg

F-16_US_Navy_(20).jpg

F-16_USAF_(1).jpg

F-16_USAF_(13).jpg

F-16_USAF_(3).jpg

F-16_USAF_(31).jpg

F-16_USAF_(41).jpg

F-16_USAF_(5).jpg

F-16_USAF_(6).jpg

F-5_US_Navy_(19).jpg

F-5_US_Navy_(8).jpg

F-22-USAF-13.jpg

F-35-US-Navy-4.jpg

FA-18-US-Navy-24.jpg

FA-18-US-Navy-43.jpg

L-159-Draken-International-2.jpg

Mi-24-Bulgaria-AF-8.jpg

T-38-USAF-1.jpg

T-38-USAF-3.jpg

• Like 41
  • Thanks 7

Andy,

What a superb set and how refreshing to see some colour returning to the drab US camo schemes. Hard to pick a favourite but that A-10 on approach takes some beating. Both Fallon and Nellis offer great photo opportunities. I too went on base at Fallon some years ago back thanks to the USN PAO, Zip Upham. Is he still there and was it through him you got access?

Thanks for sharing

Mark

Thanks all.

Mark and Paul - yes, it was Zip that took us round. We weren't part of a group as we just arranged it ourselves (well, our US friends did). 

There were only six people, so we were able to go to the runway edge. F-35s and F-18s are loud on full afterburner!

We didn't get the ramp tour, though I had done that a few years ago. 

Zip was supposedly retiring, but is staying on a little longer.

Andy

• Like 3

Superb pictures Andy, thanks for sharing them.

The A-10 Thunderbolt 2 picture especially intrigued me - it has what I would normally assume were ailerons, both fully up. Odd position for spoilers, and the aircraft is banking.  Do those surfaces split top and bottom to open as airbrakes - what in radio control modelling used to be called 'crow braking' ?

EDIT :  I found some video online which shows the A-10 controls operating - yes it does use 'crow braking'. Most impressive ! 

John B

Edited by John B (Sc)

Hi John,

As you now know, they do indeed act as ailerons and speed brakes. Thanks for the nice comment about the photos

Andy

Not sure if there's a superlative which describes your set of images: picks of the bunch are probably the two F-5E aggressors and the F-35C but the Mil 24 does bring a certain malevolent presence about it.

Thanks for sharing  

Thanks Richard. 

The Mil was very special, as we saw it landing from the freeway, after an 'it can't be' moment or two. We drove to the tiny airport where it was being refuelled and asked for permission to take photos from right next to it.

This was granted and we stayed until it took off again. The light was perfect and with no one around, it was quite surreal.

The Raptor would be a challenge to paint, and that was one of the clean ones!

Andy

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Great set of pictures Andy, really like the aggressors and adversaries.

🇺🇦

thanks Craig. i will bring some more to the meeting on Friday

andy

• Like 1

Wow, thats some set of photo's! Each a stunning shot in its own right, so hard to pick a favourite from that lot.

Eng