Trumpeter 1/35 Challenger 2 - finished !!!!

Marklo

497572-AF-BE13-4-C9-F-94-C1-5-EF56-A3-B7The second of my GB entrants. I may use the box scheme unless I can come up with something a bit more interesting. 

F7-C15-CFC-4649-4065-91-FB-0754-F6-D91-DHow brave am I feeling :) 

1-A311377-D4-CA-49-FB-957-D-D9-CAA2-D9-E

863-FD8-A1-3-B78-4-F74-AD8-C-DAB4829-FE6

879-A4-AD4-BBA6-42-A1-9312-194-BDCF1-C78Ok spoiled for choice.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 7

The "Berlin scheme" would be interesting. Pity they can't build one with sound effects - they are very noisy beasts. My son and I were in one of the "hangars" at the Tank Museum a few years ago when a pair of them drove past, doing a skid turn at a T junction - what a racket!

Pete

• Like 1

121-D687-E-E10-D-4584-9-CE5-5-B42-A4-ABF
Sprue shots, so much plastic… however although it’s a gulf war boxing three types of side skirts are supplied. So the Street fighter wouldn’t be too difficult to do. I am taken with the digital scheme but the masking would be head wrecking. That’s not to say the street fighter would be all that easy either :)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sure your scratch building skills will allow you to pull off the digital scheme. I was not aware there were so many different schemes for the Challenger. Clearly theBritish Army have some new painting skills.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

D6-FF3843-0629-4-C8-D-AE2-F-4-C99-A47646started work on the suspension and road wheels. 

I find in a lot of AFV projects the painting snd finishing is the bulk of the work and that’ll definitely be the case here. 

CDFBA00-C-4-AEF-4-BE0-ACD4-954-FD6440997

That digital camo.

I traced around the main hull components, scanned it into amandine( my current favourite app) and used out to draw up these 1/35 sized templates next step is to draw in the digital camo.

Now I still have to decide how I’ll use it, I may scan the result, which I can third tidy up digitally and either 1. use it as a guide or 2. print it off as decals or 3. onto kabuki paper to use directly.  I’m thinking a combination of all three depending on how much of each colour I end up with after transcribing the camo.

• Like 2

Very clever. If you can print onto kabuki paper and use as masks it would probably give best results. I would think about printing a letter on each one to know what colour it is to keep better track and also avoid going crosseyed looking at picture then the tape then the tank then back at the picture then which piece of tape was it again.... :crosseyed:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

F2161-E14-961-E-4-E4-D-8353-AA2-E1-F9134

Suspension almost done.

60-E18-E85-6-D78-4-EA4-A382-354-C1-F2-E5Upper deck and turret in progress. There are literally dozens of little components to assemble, however as I’m going for the digital scheme I’m going to assemble all the large components, paint the assembly then add the small parts painting them as I go, this will make masking the camo much easier ( or should that be a little less difficult :) )

The size comparison to the Cromwell is interesting, also the fact that even though the Challenger is a modern state of the art vehicle, the obvious lineage from the ww2 cruiser is striking.

• Like 3

I'm getting ready to do my Chsllenger,was wondering what you were going to use for anti slip coating

Thanks,

That camo is way beyond me,should be nice.

Edited by Tojo72
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tojo72 said:

was wondering what you were going to use for anti slip coating

I wasn't going to do anything. Based ó the photos the Hull looks smooth to me so I'm going straight to primer then camo. A little research shows that this isn't very visible on the real thing and roughening up the surfaces with sandpaper (or just leaving it) would be adequate. 

12 hours ago, Tojo72 said:

That camo is way beyond me,should be nice.

Edited 12 hours ago by Tojo72

I still have to see if its not beyond me :)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

81821-C56-404-A-49-E3-8-E81-DBB05-B2-E97Started masking off the pale green. Going to take some time. It will also be more of a homage as masking it 100% accurately would take ages and very probably wreck my head in the process :) 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...