A small tribute

Jinxman

Lovely images and very poignant given the tragic news today of the shooting down last Friday of Col Oksonchenko, the former Ukraine AF SU-27 pilot who so ably demonstrated the type's prowess at RIAT for several years.

Mark 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Great photos of an impressive machine. The Ukraine digital Flankers must be the most photographed of them all, certainly the best looking colour schemes.

As an aside does anyone happen to have any photos form RIAT (or any other source) that clearly show the intake colour and the wheel well colours of Blue 71? I have just started (my long planned) build of Blue 71 and have trawled the internet for photos that show those areas but 99% are all from the more normal airshow views and leave me none the wiser whether the intakes are the tan colour of the earlier Su-27s or the more blue colour.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Great photos of an impressive machine. The Ukraine digital Flankers must be the most photographed of them all, certainly the best looking colour schemes.

As an aside does anyone happen to have any photos form RIAT (or any other source) that clearly show the intake colour and the wheel well colours of Blue 71? I have just started (my long planned) build of Blue 71 and have trawled the internet for photos that show those areas but 99% are all from the more normal airshow views and leave me none the wiser whether the intakes are the tan colour of the earlier Su-27s or the more blue colour.

Duncan B

Assuming the Ukrainian single and two seaters are painted the same colours in these areas I might be able to help...

Intakes are medium to dark grey to me eye, certainly not tan

35945880226_fd2761a12b_o.jpgSukhoi Su-27P1M Flanker 58 BLUE Ukrainian Air Force RAF Fairford 16/07/17 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

The wheel wells are trickier to determine, but I reckon they look more of a blue/grey here

Sukhoi Su-27P1M Flanker 58 BLUE Ukrainian Air Force RAF Fairford 15/07/18

HTH

Shaun

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Seamus lovely photos, thanks for those. They clearly show the colours well for the Ukrainian Su-27 single seater. I have a feeling that they might have been repainted when they went through their upgrades in Belarus, certainly not the tan colour seen on early single seaters and probably a good indication for the upgraded UBM-1. The second photo gives a great view of the undercarriage folding up and the staining around the engines which is another thing that can be difficult to see. Very useful photos so thanks again.

Duncan B

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

@Seamus lovely photos, thanks for those. They clearly show the colours well for the Ukrainian Su-27 single seater. I have a feeling that they might have been repainted when they went through their upgrades in Belarus, certainly not the tan colour seen on early single seaters and probably a good indication for the upgraded UBM-1. The second photo gives a great view of the undercarriage folding up and the staining around the engines which is another thing that can be difficult to see. Very useful photos so thanks again.

Duncan B

No worries, you're welcome. There are plenty of shots on my Flickr of BLUE 71 too, just none of the detail shots. But feel free to look through, they may be of further use to you :)

Flickr Search

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...