Ad-hoc Ukraine GB?

exdraken

not wanting to get political here, but any chance for an ad-hoc Ukrainian (Forces and kits) GB? 

🇺🇦

EDIT: scope could of course be enlarged by including kits "Made in Ukraine"

it would not fit into my GB schedule, but the current war also does not in most agendas..

I would most likely build a fighter.... Su-25, MiG-29, Su-27?

• Like 3

If we were to do this during the summer....... maybe the recently destroyed Antonov 225....

If sooner, and we include Ukrainian manufactured kits, I'll find something by Mikromir. 

Edited by Adam Poultney

I might have a mig or two that could be done in Ukrainian colours, need to do some research. I know the current airforce flies Flankers and Frogfoots. 

Edited by Marklo

21 hours ago, Marklo said:

I might have a mig or two that could be done in Ukrainian colours, need to do some research. I know the current airforce flies Flankers and Frogfoots. 

and MiG-29s

and Su-24s

at least in theory, if any are still airworthy

On 3/1/2022 at 12:08 PM, dromia said:

Too soon.

too soon for what you mean? for a GB? not sure if starting one much later would make any sense at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dromia said:

I think it is too soon for this GB and you don't.

It’s a show of support. Not “oh cool a new war to make models for”. 

edit: to reinforce that, I’d propose a special rule of no models of subjects in the current war.

If so I’m in. 

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 4

I was interested until I realized all those Ukrainian Flankers would be best built using ****** model kits - definitely a no-go for me from now on.

But I'll wave the yellow and blue flag while building an ICM Do 215 in a group build coming soon at our favorite modelling forum.

Slavia Ukraini 🇺🇦. V-P

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I was interested until I realized all those Ukrainian Flankers would be best built using ****** model kits - definitely a no-go for me from now on.

But I'll wave the yellow and blue flag while building an ICM Do 215 in a group build coming soon at our favorite modelling forum.

Slavia Ukraini 🇺🇦. V-P

In 48th scale I'd suggest either GWH B or UB models, GWH is Chinese as far as I know...

As do KittyHawk ir Trumpeter

I think in 1/72 🇺🇦 ICM also does a single seat Flanker B...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/icm-72221-su-27-flanker--142713

• Thanks 1

Can’t think of a more appropriate way of showing support on a modellers forum. If this would be possible, I would do my outmost to find time to participate Werner, but I would be building something non-military. Maybe an Antonov cargo plane or an Airbus A320 in an 🇺🇦 livery? 

• Like 5

I have been thinking over the last disturbing days of proposing an "out of schedule" GB for "Made in Ukraine kits", starting as soon as possible, so I find @exdraken idea excellent. Of course "In Ukranian markings" would go hand in hand.

I would be in with some civilian subjects by Ukranian kit makers as long as we also ad @Torbjorn proposed rule rule of "No models of subjects in the current war", which I think shows good taste.

• Like 2

This was discussed on another forum, and there was a body of opinion that given the currency of the terrible events, it could be seen as "taking sides" and thus political.  [Edit: For avoidance of doubt, I am not favouring any side with that statement.]

Edited by MikeC
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, MikeC said:

This was discussed on another forum, and there was a body of opinion that given the currency of the terrible events, it could be seen as "taking sides" and thus political.  [Edit: For avoidance of doubt, I am not favouring any side with that statement.]

political discussion, name calling blaming etc... and siding with the hugely affected 🇺🇦 population is not the same thing in my opinion. I would be in with the later.

I also suggest that as soon as you call the events "terrible" you are doing exactly the same. and they certainly are terrible for all involved.... :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, exdraken said:

political discussion, name calling blaming etc... and siding with the hugely affected 🇺🇦 population is not the same thing in my opinion. I would be in with the later.

I also suggest that as soon as you call the events "terrible" you are doing exactly the same. and they certainly are terrible for all involved.... :(

Nope, disagree, I am not taking sides: war is terrible for both sides, and always has been.  Anyway, it would be a mods' decision, not mine, I'm simply putting another point of view, although it is one I agree with. 

1 hour ago, MikeC said:

Yes, it could be considered taking sides, but also consider:

1) the war is in Ukraine, not in Russia. It’s Ukrainian cities that are being levelled to dust.

2) if you do consider it taking sides, it’s not exactly a controversial choice, considering the UN vote yesterday

It’s up to the mods of course - that’ll be my last post on the topic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not normal procedure, but what if each entrant donated a minimum entry fee of £5 or more to enter and the pot (if they finish or not) goes to Humanitarian aid to Ukraine ASAP, probably would not mount to much in the grand scheme, but every little helps.

Realistically, this could go on for decades or perhaps much less in the worst possible way?

I do appreciate sentiments for and against though, just thinking aloud is my intention here, not politically, if it were to go ahead I would join in and donate.

• Like 4