VW T1 Panel Van - Jaegermeister

Spiny

Oh I will (stick with the promo tool story), don't worry about that :)

When finished, my models are in a display cabinet under lights (or beside lights to be exact - I fitted an LED strip up each side of the cabinet at the front) so shiny is definitely more in keeping with how they're displayed than weathered.

Creeping towards the finish line, I reckon one more day on the bench should do the trick. In fact, if I hadn't had to work yesterday (making up time from watching the Queen's funeral) I'd probably have got this finished today.

First job was an easy one - fitting the rear bumper. No dramas, just redrill the holes due to paint build-up and glue it in. That's the last thing at the back so the rear is finished now:

52384068134_af8441501a_b.jpg

Both today's photos really seem to be emphasising the orange peel in those areas I struggled to get to - you'll just have to trust me when I say the paint isn't that bad really and you can only notice it if a light is focussed on the orange peel areas. Just the front to go, I don't think I mentioned last weekend that after gluing the front bumper back together I gave it a quick layer of lacquer to give me something to polish into. Well I did the polishing today and got that fitted too. The repair isn't perfect, but once I get the front number plate fitted it shouldn't really be visible unless you go hunting for it.

52383756591_68b68ab54f_b.jpg

All the remaining parts have had paint on, just need either decalling or one more coat of paint. So hopefully next weekend I can call this done.

Thanks for watching.

• Like 14

7 hours ago, hendie said:

That paint job looks great

Yep I'll second that. Great job. Those bumpers make a massive difference in the overall look.

And anyway it's not orange peel it's just great weathering showing the body starting to rust beneath the paint! 😋. K I'll get my 🧥...

Nick

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Can't argue about the bumpers, they do make a big change to the look, althoguh I keep swapping between preferring it with and without them on. I still stick by my 'wide-mouthed frog' comments from earlier in the thread though :)

Right, I'm going to call this one done. The last few bits were added today, unfortunately when I was adding the decal I put it on the number plate upside down, hence the plate being at a strange angle. But I can live with it and can't fix it without destroying the decal so it's staying that way.

52396959977_148a7c0f40_b.jpg

The decals on the mirrors aren't as good reflectors as I would like either, I guess I should really have done them in BMF but again it's something I will live with. Neither of those issues bug me as much as the wipers which don't quite match with the instructions which show them parked at the angles I've shown them. But that just doesn't look right with the angle of the blade in relatioin to the arm, and having just googled the splitty it looks as though they should park on the same side of each screen. So before the RFI I will be adjusting one wiper to suit.

The RFI will follow when I've finished waxing it and given it it's photoshoot, but hopefully the pic above will give an idea of how it's ended up. Thanks to everyone who has commented, liked or just generally looked.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, glad you like it.

On 01/10/2022 at 22:43, Fnick said:

Like it! Looking forward to your excellent photos.

Nick

No pressure then!

On 01/10/2022 at 22:14, Windy37 said:

Kit manufacturers seem to just give up when it comes to wiper design ; they never seem to fit where they ought to . The van looks well , the colours go really well together .

Gary . 

I know what you mean, so many wipers which don't follow the curve of the windscreen or are just the wrong size. To be fair to Revell, these wipers are actually quite nice, just that the recess for the driver's side only seems to allow it to go in the place I've shown it and the instructions are just wrong. But I hope you'll agree that they look better in the RFI pics when I get them put up.

Speaking of the RFI, it's posted up now:

• Like 3

Wonderful Model Spiny, I commented in the RFI but never made it back to this side, struggling for time for everything at the mo.  Glad you sorted the wipers as that would have looked odd as Revell instruct you. The paintwork does look fantastic.

Your work has certainly got me itching to start mine, a 1957 camper, although I have a GB build plus a few other aircraft on the go at the mo so will see😉

Great work 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

Thank you, much appreciated. I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turns out, if mine is anything to go by these do go together pretty well, but you do need to take your time, make sure everything is aligned, and not rush things. I agree with you about the wipers, they did look odd in the photo above and I wasn't really happy as they were, much happier with them parked as in the RFI thread.

• Like 1