DH Chipmunk T.10

Ray S

Hello all, after some help in the 'Cold War Aircraft' discussion area on this fine Forum concerning droopy wings, I have finished this one. It was given to me as a Christmas present last year. I had a few problems with the kit, probably all my own doing. I wanted the cowling closed, and it was 'interesting' getting that to happen. I have a feeling that it was the way I fitted the engine - it was only after I had done it that I read the Airfix Magazine review which suggested re-drilling all four location holes for the framework, I had only drilled one. I tried pulling the frame out, but Revell Contacta must be strong stuff! The wing issue was solved by removing the leading edge location pins on the outboard of the wings (known) and clamping the wings under heavy books (suggested), and that worked a treat. The other area I struggled with was the canopy. Airfix supplied a jig to help get the glazing together, and it did join up. However, the track seemed too narrow when I came to add the canopy, and I needed to use CA to get it to fit. I did manage to get the catches fitted on top of the canopy though, so that was a win. The paintwork was brush-painted Colourcoats enamels, they go on beautifully when thinned with their naphtha thinner, and I added four coats to each colour. I buffed the paint before adding the transfers, which I bedded down with Pledge, but did get silvering under the 'Army' and serial number transfers, so again probably my fault. I gave it a final brushed Humbrol Satin enamel varnish, again thinned with the naphtha thinner. All in all, it was a pleasure to build.

I have done it as the Army Air Corps option in the kit, from the Army Aviation Centre, Middle Wallop June 1968. I still think it odd that there were no upper wing roundels nor fin flashes, so it is a little different in my collection.

Here is the finished model 

DSCN8445 (2)

DSCN8446

DSCN8447

DSCN8448

Thanks for looking,

Ray

• Like 34

This looks absolutely stunning Ray and a lovely jobnon that paint work from a fellow brush painter, I have some Colourcoats enamels and the Naptha thinners   but sometimes can't get the smooth finish I want so probably not thinning enough!!!

It's an enjoyable kit.

Great work 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

This looks absolutely stunning Ray and a lovely jobnon that paint work from a fellow brush painter, I have some Colourcoats enamels and the Naptha thinners   but sometimes can't get the smooth finish I want so probably not thinning enough!!!

It's an enjoyable kit.

Great work 

Chris

Chris, I use a very scientific method! I stir the paint in the pot with some runner, allow drips to come off into a pallette, then add half that number of drips of naphtha thinner from a dropper bottle thingy. Give it a good stir, and that is it. I keep an eye on the consistency, and add an extra drop of thinner if the paint thickens, as the naphtha seems to evaporate quickly. It took me a while to get the results but with the ColourCoats it is so worthwhile. As an aside, the naphtha thinner has also improved my results with Humbrol enamels too. Thanks for your very kind comment.

9 hours ago, Paul J said:

Nice work. Glad you haven't weathered it.  It was kept in quite a clean condition.

Weathering is not high on my skill set, and I have to admit I prefer the aircraft 'clean' anyway. Many thanks for the comment!

3 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Nice work Ray - who doesn't like a Chipmunk?  You have done this colour scheme justice- well done👍

Colin

Thanks Colin, I hope so. I really took to this scheme, but (between you and me) it was not my first option. I was going to do the 'First British Chipmunk' with the silver and yellow. I carefully followed the instructions, and then found I had fitted the wrong rudder despite double-checking! Still, it gives me an excuse to do another at some point, doesn't it?

Thanks all for the looks, likes and comments, they are all very much appreciated.

Ray

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ray S said:

Chris, I use a very scientific method! I stir the paint in the pot with some runner, allow drips to come off into a pallette, then add half that number of drips of naphtha thinner from a dropper bottle thingy. Give it a good stir, and that is it. I keep an eye on the consistency, and add an extra drop of thinner if the paint thickens, as the naphtha seems to evaporate quickly. It took me a while to get the results but with the ColourCoats it is so worthwhile. As an aside, the naphtha thinner has also improved my results with Humbrol enamels too. Thanks for your very kind comment.

Thanks Ray, I do use a similar method but have not used enough thinners .  I use it in Humbrol too and find it speeds up the drying time too.

Chris

• Like 1

@Ray S that's a very pretty Chippie and reflects well the almost pristine appearance of the real aeroplane.

With regard to WB549 I'm fairly sure that she'd have had the larger rudder and fuselage strakes fitted at some stage, but there are images of WZ-seraiiled Chippies (final production batch for the RAF) lacking the strakes so when that might have been I know not.

• Thanks 1

Well, I think it finally turns out very nice, due to all the problems. Mean while I am building my second one, but this time with open cowling and put a few more details to the engine. So I know it’s only a small plane but sometimes tricky. So you did justice to your little Chippie!!

Cheers 

Andy 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...