Middle Earth Globe

Ted

Not really a diorama, but I couldn't think of another place to post this. It's a project I've wanted to do for a long time. 

My wife collects paper globes for her own creative projects and she generously gave me one of them. Just a cheap old globe like most of us had as kids, with the mountains textured on the surface and gaps between all the paper strips. I removed the cheap ugly stand and will eventually make something new out of wood and brass.

I spent hours sanding, filling, priming, and sanding to smooth it all. Then sprayed some vague outlines of Middle Earth, Valinor, and the oceans with Vallejo mixes. Then I started brush painting the outlines of the continents. It was a bit hard to reproduce the 2D map on a globe, Mercator projection, amIright🙄

I'm using a few maps from various books, including the Tolkien scrapbook and the old MERP game for some of the places that weren't mapped out in the original books. I might do a ghost outline of Beleriand but not sure yet.

20220227_131334

20220227_161738

• Like 19

27 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

But Valinor should be separate somehow...

It should be indeed, I think I'll make the ocean around it cloudy or foggy, and maybe make the land mass a bit ghostly. Or should it be more neon? It will be fun to play with ideas.

• Like 1

Good luck fitting Valinor and Beleriand onto a globe!  The one was taken out of the mortal world altogether when the world was made round at the end of the Second Age, and the other was smashed to bits in the War of Wrath at the end of the First Age.  Both belong firmly in the flat version of Arda.  All the same, now that I know there was an Atlas of Middle-Earth, I'll watch this with interest.

(Guess who's just finished The Silmarillion for the nth time?)

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, pigsty said:

Both belong firmly in the flat version of Arda.  

Maybe that was just a conspiracy theory invented by disenfranchised Noldor 🤓

• Haha 1

Good to see you back Ted, and what an interesting project!

I was going to crack a flat earth joke, but that's already been done.

Be interesting to see how this works out.   Maybe you could do it in the style of an old fashioned globe and add Tolkien like writing/runes ?

Certainly one of the most different projects I have seen on here!

cheers

T

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2022 at 7:18 AM, Troy Smith said:

Good to see you back Ted, and what an interesting project!

I was going to crack a flat earth joke, but that's already been done.

Be interesting to see how this works out.   Maybe you could do it in the style of an old fashioned globe and add Tolkien like writing/runes ?

Certainly one of the most different projects I have seen on here!

cheers

T

Thanks Troy, That's the plan, to make the globe look old fashioned using oil paints and glazes. And I've downloaded a Middle Earth font for printing decals for the place names. 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 1/27/2023 at 3:53 PM, Thom216 said:

Pretty cool! Any progresso?

I wish, it's one of the fun projects waiting on a long list of house renovations.

• Like 1