RFI: ICM 1/48 Do-17Z

Greetings Friends-  Here is my latest build:  an Excellent ICM kit, the Do-17Z-2 in 1/48.  I really liked the kit and the fit problems were my own.  I always have trouble fitting clear parts to opaque and the ventral gun section moved on me.

I really liked the kit and am very happy with the result.  The decals were by Owl and for F1+HH which I have a photo of it and it lacks the ID markings of the commonly portrayed F1+FH with the Devil insignia.  Kagero also did a profile of it and this is the one I did.  The Paint is Mr. Color 70/71 and 65 lightened a pinch.  The Stencil and insignia decals are Eduard and were excellent.  The Clear is Tamiya.

Only adds were Eduard 'Look' Instrument and harness kit and Eduard Resin Do17Z Wheels.  Oh yea, I added quickboost exhausts kit.

Enjoy and comments welcome!  Let me know what I can improve.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 61
  • Thanks 5

Looks superb! Great build and a great finish. Always loved the look of the Dornier 17Z, and it is the classic Battle of Britain German bomber from my perspective. Got the ICM kit in the stash myself, so really nice to see how the kit builds up.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

Bob, 

You did a great job on the “ Flying Pencil”.  The windscreen framing stands out particularly for me.  :goodjob:

Mike

I used a Masking kit for the canopy...  That is essential and gives great results!

• Like 1

Top result. 🔟  :goodjob: 

Appreciate the build report too. Been wanting on of the night fighter variants of this ICM kit for some time -offput today by its hefty price, Your build has cemented the decision to buy when I see a favourable opportunity. 👍🍻 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bigglesof266 said:

Top result. 🔟  :goodjob: 

Appreciate the build report too. Been wanting on of the night fighter variants of this ICM kit for some time -offput today by its hefty price, Your build has cemented the decision to buy when I see a favourable opportunity. 👍🍻 

Hi Biggles...  i have two icm Do17 night fighters in the stash, the z-7 and the z-10.  They both look great and I thought they were a good value.  The prices went up on the Do217N kits which is also a great kit...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Hi Biggles...  i have two icm Do17 night fighters in the stash, the z-7 and the z-10.  They both look great and I thought they were a good value.  The prices went up on the Do217N kits which is also a great kit...

G'day Bob,

Yes, the price on the Do 17Z-7 isn't too savage all things considered given what it is gauged on current kit pricing generally, but the ICM Do 217 series price point is frightful. The lovely Do 17Z-2 which you just built is comparatively reasonable. 

17 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Enjoy and comments welcome!  Let me know what I can improve.

In truth I don't think there is much to improve on, your skills abound in every area . Thats a superb build.

Pete

• Thanks 1

That's really quite lovely - a fantastic rendition of one of my favourite aircraft. They did throw quite a lot of exhaust - the only thing I'd suggest is perhaps some staining along the top of the wings. 

Great stuff!

Tom

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

That's really quite lovely - a fantastic rendition of one of my favourite aircraft. They did throw quite a lot of exhaust - the only thing I'd suggest is perhaps some staining along the top of the wings. 

Great stuff!

Tom

Hi Tom...  its stained.  I used tamiya soot and followed several in flight photos to get the amount.  I dont think it comes out on photos well but its very noticable by eye...

• Like 1

Hi, Bob...

This is a wonderful rendition of the '17Z', and I also doubt there's anything you need to improve.

Very well done.

Regards,

Paul

• Thanks 1