PK-352 HMS Duke of York

spacer.png

It's just arrived, it's shrink wrapped and.........................

of course I opened it, what did you think I was going to do with it?

It's considerably more crude that the Tamiya KG.V (there's a surprise) and it has the early configuration with the Walrus which was later replaced with a boat deck. My references suggested it was possible to build both configurations but that's beyond my skills so instead of my plan to use it for HMS Howe I'll build it SFTB to hone my shipbilding skills before tackling the Tamiya kit.

spacer.png

• Like 15

Those sprues look awfully familiar to me. I reckon I built one of these back in the day...

Have fun!

46 minutes ago, rossm said:

of course I opened it, what did you think I was going to do with it?

Yeah, totally thought you were going to open it! 🙂 

• Like 1

This will take a fair bit of work. I didn't expect it to be a 'waterline' kit so it's a pity Matchbox didn't include a 'diorama base' as well. This will hone your 'seamanship' as well....... Best of luck with the build.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CliffB said:

I'm looking forward to picking up some tips on dazzle, before I start my Kelly! :popcorn:

Cheers

I was wondering about chickening out and doing the 1942 all grey scheme for speed but I'd like to practice the camouflage so I'll probably try it.

"Ship Models from Kits" by David Griffith is going to be my guide, I prefer books to YouTube.

• Like 1

Hi,

You probably have this info in your book, but if you have not already done so you might find the info on the Sovereign Hobbies colourcoats website of use.  That says the colour scheme Duke of York was in at the Battle with Scharnhorst at the North Cape was pretty simple, dark grey hull, light grey upper surfaces and a different grey on the horizontal sufaces ie decks (the Shipcraft book I have says that the hull and decks were actually the same grey and the deck in front of the forward breakwater may have been left in natural wood). At that point the aircraft handling equipment was still there but probably no aircraft, the hangars being used as a cinema. Up to 22 single 20mm AA guns might have been added by that time but in this scale that may not be a problem.

I have the Tamiya kit as Prince of Wales I think and will watch this build with interest.

Pete 

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Right come on Ross stop shilly shallying about and get on with it :wink:

After enjoying the experience of opening a time capsule of a kit, it's time to start planning this one so we get it in the gallery .

Best of luck

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Right come on Ross stop shilly shallying about and get on with it :wink:

After enjoying the experience of opening a time capsule of a kit, it's time to start planning this one so we get it in the gallery .

Best of luck

Cheers Pat 

Shilly-shallying ? That's below the belt, it's called research and planning 😉

It looks as if I can do the ship in any early scheme including the sinking of the Scharnhorst if I add some 20mm mounts but I'm not sure Matchbox got the colours correct as the Shipcraft book says the pale grey was only on the superstructure. I think it's going to be either that or the second scheme of one grey and wood decks so I can start next time I get some modelling time.

• Like 3

A belated welcome to the party from me Ross, apologies for my tardiness. So glad to see one of Matchbox's Blue series of ships take centre stage. They seem to be quite rare builds, so take your time and enjoy it. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

Just to keep Pat off my back 😁 I've started work but probably not worth a photo. The hull sides and waterline base are together and have been pushed and pullled about to make the deck a snug fit so it should look ok if I paint the deck wood and the hull grey before putting them together, there shouldn't be any nasty gaps nor a need for masking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got fed up with all the executor and house clearance malarkey so as I got home at 1530 I thought I'd have some "me" time. Still on stage 1 of the instuctions but the 10 main armament guns are cleaned up and fitted to the turrets and I only broke 1 of them :oops:. I also found time to get the two missing paint colours on the way home so progress at last!

spacer.png

• Like 9

Some ‘Me’ time …. Good to hear it, we all deserve it. So often we put ourselves behind the needs of others and that’s fine and is often the responsible way to live, however we all need some love’n too and if that means a few quiet hours of modelling on occasions, then so be it. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

Finally got the airbrush out and put some Tamiya Deck Tan on, guess where, the main deck 😁 The turrets are filled and sanded as is the hull. A question on the Warship forum resulted in knowing the 3-tone camo wasn't used in service, only when fitting out so I think I'll cheat and go for overall grey. Gives me a better chance of finishing on time.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/03/2022 at 20:04, rossm said:

Finally got the airbrush out and put some Tamiya Deck Tan on, guess where, the main deck 😁 The turrets are filled and sanded as is the hull. A question on the Warship forum resulted in knowing the 3-tone camo wasn't used in service, only when fitting out so I think I'll cheat and go for overall grey. Gives me a better chance of finishing on time.

Sorry to be a pain, but well this is the internet after all so I guess I'll be playing the role of that guy today. I think she either had her decks considerably darkened throughout most her service or painted to match the other horizontal surfaces.

Hopefully the below couple of pics will sway you towards the camo I think she looks her best in and incidentally (at least in the first photo) fought her most famous engagement in:

05_hms_duke_of_york_1943.jpg?psid=1

A0-DE78-DA-80-F3-4-D34-954-B-EBEB0-F881-

🤤. Ymmv of course and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but it shouldn't add too much time to paint the hull the darker shade if you do so choose (the lighter horizontal band is just from the angling of the belt armour). The effect is quite regal and harkens back to the Victorian-era camo schemes.

Of courses there's previous detailed discussion on here too:

In either case, good luck with the build! And apologies for putting in my two cents - I'm quite biased here, having named my first dog Fraser in honour of her admiral at the time - I should probably get out more...

David

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Sorry to be a pain, but well this is the internet after all so I guess I'll be playing the role of that guy today. I think she either had her decks considerably darkened throughout most her service or painted to match the other horizontal surfaces.

In either case, good luck with the build! And apologies for putting in my two cents - I'm quite biased here, having named my first dog Fraser in honour of her admiral at the time - I should probably get out more...

David

Valuable input and good pics. It is a tempting scheme and the kit isn't too different from the configuration of the Scharnhorst engagement but it would need more AA guns and possibly different some radar so I'm going for the overall grey with wood decks that I think she was in on leaving Rosyth and taking Churchill across the Atlantic at the end of 1941. It's my first ever ship kit so easy is good and I've started painting the superstructure in the darker grey so it's too late to turn back.

It's my model and I'll build it how I want 😁😉

• Like 1

Ha, I guess you can build your model how you want. I mean, I've never heard of such insolence before! But hey, its 2022 I suppose.

Joking aside, I'm actually quite keen to see a KGVer as grey only as most of the time you see the ridiculously hard to paint camo schemes. And I had forgotten about the Churchill trip, I wouldn't even be surprised if they holystoned the decks for him, they certainly appear a more normal shade in the IWM photos.

David

• Haha 1

Thought I'd show progress to date, starting to paint and add superstructure. The aft unit has a visible horizontal join which will need as much filling/smoothing as I can give it but it'll be a pain so perfection is unlikely. The same for the upper part of the hangar, attached but us yet unpainted. Lots of fiddly moulded on deck detail still to paint and the main hull waiting for airbrushing. The dark grey is not as dark as AP507A but I think that is too dark in this scale so I'm using Tamiya XF-75 IJN Gray. The decks are XF-55 Deck Tan which may be a bit light but trying to judge tones from the IWM photos is tricky as weather, sun angle and type of film will all affect the appearance.

spacer.png

• Like 6

Lovely work Ross, it's good to see your build coming along.

While I'm also watching your build with some interest, since one of my grandfathers cousins went down with HMS Prince of Wales when the Japanese paid her a visit during 1941.

Cheers,

Daniel.

• 1 month later...

Another airbrush session after more filling and sanding of joint lines than I expected. Hand painting all the deck stowage, ventilators and other clutter is fiddly too. It's getting tight to finish on time but there's still a chance.

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rossm said:

It's getting tight to finish on time but there's still a chance.

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!

This should help.

Booker T and the MG's at their finest. Time is Tight. How appropriate.