Airfix & Sword F-84F-30-RE - 1/72 - 27feb23 nearly there :)

23 minutes ago, cpoud117 said:

BTW, if you could start work on rescribing a 1/72 B-57 in order to have a manufacturer release a new tool, that would be highly appreciated ;) 

I actually had plans to build a B-57C but they have slipped down my projects list ;(

• 2 weeks later...

Having spent some time yesterday decalling her, I was fflicking through my references this morning and a penny dropped! The 6 Stormo/Aerobrigada "Red Devils" nose flash is too short, and by a lot! Drat! It is my fault because I was lulled in to an hour or two of pleasure and just didn't think to check. You can see the problem below:

How it should be:

F-84F HVAR001

and ..... :(

11795bo

For the future - dont accept what the manufacturers give you! So, a warning for other users of Tauro Models sheets! :) I seem to be hit from all sides by troublesome products recently! Well, the only thing I can do is order a new set from Pronto and modify to the rear tail of the flashes. It wil mean that for anyone out there who is also looking forward to the release of the Sword kit, that I will have spares! ;)

It will mean yet another delay! :(

Martin

• Like 5

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Airfix & Sword F-84F-30-RE - 1/72 - 31Jan23 oh dear:(

Looks great! Hopefully the new decals will sort you out.

I just think tridents are trouble - I had all sorts of pain with them on a Heller Dewoitine :)

While you're reviewing it, is there independent confirmation that the tail flashes are yellow, not red? They look awfully dark in the photo but i guess that could just be the b&w film.

Regards,

Adrian

12 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Having spent some time yesterday decalling her, I was fflicking through my references this morning and a penny dropped! The 6 Stormo/Aerobrigada "Red Devils" nose flash is too short, and by a lot! Drat! It is my fault because I was lulled in to an hour or two of pleasure and just didn't think to check. You can see the problem below:

H

For the future - dont accept what the manufacturers give you! So, a warning for other users of Tauro Models sheets! :) I seem to be hit from all sides by troublesome products recently! Well, the only thing I can do is order a new set from Pronto and modify to the rear tail of the flashes. It wil mean that for anyone out there who is also looking forward to the release of the Sword kit, that I will have spares! ;)

It will mean yet another delay! :(

Martin

She's looking really nice Martin.  Pity about all this trouble.  Just to throw another axe into the works, it appears to me from the photo you provided just above, the model itself might have too long a nose....

Can't say for certain, as I haven't compared and F-48F kits to drawings in ages.  It should be fairly easy to see whether this is the case with a dead-on side view of the model.  It may also be that the decals are a mite small in all directions, including vertically, in which case, you may have to find a way to enlarge them a bit a print some new ones.... not a happy solution in either case.  I wish you the best of luck on this one!!

Ed

Hi Martin this looks like it could be rescued. Is it possible you could lift the decals? (red stripe, badge & trident) I think it would work if they could be moved further towards the nose. It looks like there needs to be gaps either side of that round emblem & that itself needs to move nosewards. That & the gaps should move things to where they should be.

Looking at it, you have the round emblem in line with the bottom of the sloping windscreen. It should be about a third the width of the emblem forward from where it is currently. That might save having to have new ones printed. I've successfully moved decals after a day or two, just gently going at the edges of the carrier film with a small damp brush. I just use plenty of water & patience. Trust me it can be done.

Regards dimensions this kit is pretty close to most available plans. Trust me as I've hoarded nearly everything available. I'll be very interested to see what plans Sword have worked from & I'll bet there'll be discrepancies with that kit as well! 🙄 

6 hours ago, Wez said:

That's a bit unfortunate Martin, otherwise she's looking good!

Thanks for the encouragement, mate

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Getting there.

Stuart

Thanks a lot, Stuart

51 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks great! Hopefully the new decals will sort you out.

I just think tridents are trouble - I had all sorts of pain with them on a Heller Dewoitine :)

While you're reviewing it, is there independent confirmation that the tail flashes are yellow, not red? They look awfully dark in the photo but i guess that could just be the b&w film.

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian, yes, I wish I had seen that before. :( Yes, yellow is correct. See the images at the start of the thread. The fin flashes reflect the squadrons of the wing. They had red, yellow and blue. 

38 minutes ago, TheRealMrEd said:

She's looking really nice Martin.  Pity about all this trouble.  Just to throw another axe into the works, it appears to me from the photo you provided just above, the model itself might have too long a nose....

Can't say for certain, as I haven't compared and F-48F kits to drawings in ages.  It should be fairly easy to see whether this is the case with a dead-on side view of the model.  It may also be that the decals are a mite small in all directions, including vertically, in which case, you may have to find a way to enlarge them a bit a print some new ones.... not a happy solution in either case.  I wish you the best of luck on this one!!

Ed

Thanks, Ed. The Airfix ‘streak is reputed to be the closest to being correct of all the available kits. Regarding decals, perspective isn’t the issue. The trident simply isn’t far enough forward and if it were positioned more forward the rear stripe wouldn’t sit right. 

10 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Hi Martin this looks like it could be rescued. Is it possible you could lift the decals? (red stripe, badge & trident) I think it would work if they could be moved further towards the nose. It looks like there needs to be gaps either side of that round emblem & that itself needs to move nosewards. That & the gaps should move things to where they should be.

Looking at it, you have the round emblem in line with the bottom of the sloping windscreen. It should be about a third the width of the emblem forward from where it is currently. That might save having to have new ones printed. I've successfully moved decals after a day or two, just gently going at the edges of the carrier film with a small damp brush. I just use plenty of water & patience. Trust me it can be done.

Thanks for that mate. I will give it a try :) 🤞

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

They seem to be sticking well, Martin! I am soaking them a bit to see what happens! 🤞

I find, the better quality the decals the more likely they'll lift. Just touching the edge of the carrier with plenty of water & eventually getting a brush hair underneath eventually does it.

16 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

I find, the better quality the decals the more likely they'll lift. Just touching the edge of the carrier with plenty of water & eventually getting a brush hair underneath eventually does it.

Well, with some persistence I have got them loose, with the trident and circular badge relocated on one side (I ran out of time for more today). I will need to make a new stripe/chevron. However, the Tauro trident and chevron have a very fine black outline. It isnt something that is on the real aircraft but as it is on the Tauro trident, and to keep it looking okay, I will have to replicate it on the new chevron. My alternative would be to ask if anyone out there has a spare Airfix trident from the later issue of their kit. I may post a “wanted” in the appropriate section :). 

Thanks a lot for your advice, Martin.

Martin

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 11:27 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks, Ed. The Airfix ‘streak is reputed to be the closest to being correct of all the available kits.

@TheRealMrEd Hi, Ed! As you are an astute cookie I thought I’d check! I reckon it may have been simply perspective as the kit seems to measure up okay :). 

My attempts at lifting the nose decals ended in failure (thanks anyway, Martin @Lightningboy2000) as they had stuck enough as to prevent removal without destroying them. So, I drew up some replacements and got them printed!!! I can soon add the Red Devils disc and we are back on track :). I also got larger wing roundels printed as my earlier calculations were a bit suspect!

11795bp

Back soon with more decalling :)

Martin

• Like 5

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Airfix & Sword F-84F-30-RE - 1/72 - 08feb23 back to decalling :)
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RidgeRunner changed the title to Airfix & Sword F-84F-30-RE - 1/72 - 27feb23 nearly there :)
On 2/28/2023 at 6:12 PM, TheRealMrEd said:

Well done, Martin!

Your perseverance has paid off   -- she's looking great!

Ed

Thanks Ed. There is still a host of bits to bring together and now I am debating in my mind the size of the mainwheels. I am tempted to look at the Airfix wheels to see if they, while known to be large, are more akin to reality. I am away and so I cant check yet but my questioning has been prompted by Michael @KRK4m in a recent post on the Sword F-84F that is due to be released soon. If that works I might need to adapt the Airfix legs too. I'm heading home today so I can check over the next few days.

Martin

• Like 1

Having started an enquiring thread about wheels and tyres, it appears to me that the Sword dimensions are close, if not correct. It is just the detail on the hub that seems to have diverted attention away from my original question. Anyhow, I have decided to go with the Sword offering. The model itself is closing in on the finish, with the u/c legs on after a light weathering. 

Martin 

• Like 3