Airfix & Sword F-84F-30-RE - 1/72 - 27feb23 nearly there :)

Hi All, 

With the RF-84F creeping towards completion my thoughts will remain on the Thunderstreak/Flash for a bit longer while I tackle this challenge. As many know, there is no good F-84F  in 1/72. The best for shape and dimension, although it has a few issues, is the Airfix offering. It has raised panel lines and generally moulded in that awful "silver"-looking plastic of the 1960s. Nevertheless it is going to form the basis for a mild conversion/update using the better parts from the Sword RF. These will include the windscreen and main canopy (including mechanisms) plus the cockpit. I may use other parts like the main wheels.  

To be different, as is my way, I am going to attempt a Block 30 machine which was one with the shorter fin. It will be Italian and I will use a combination of decals based around the various Tauro Models offerings. It will also need scribing (not Re-scribing as it is often termed) to replace the heavy raised lines. 

The two kits are these:

11795b

My non-internet references are these:

11795a

and my subject aircraft is in this image (F-84F-30-RE 51-1795/6-62 of the 156 Gruppo/6 Aerobrigata), the only one I can find. I have been helped by Paolo Maglio who has managed to pin down some details for me. I could have aimed at 52-6619, and other -30-RE with a blue fin flash but I opted for yellow :). Italy operated a few of these early 'Streaks, as did other nations like Greece and Turkey.

Sorry about the quality. It is a snap from a YouTube video:

11795b

The decal sets:

11795c

I hope to build her "tooled up" with 500lb bombs and 5" HVARs. She will additionally have 450 Gallon belly tanks.

Well, thats it. I'll be back soon :)

Martin

• Like 13

7 hours ago, billn53 said:

Definitely an interesting project. I have both the Sword and PJ Productions kits (and I know both have issues), so I'll be watching closely to see how you use that old Airfix kit make a better Thunderstreak.

Well, I hope I can achieve my goal with this one, Bill. I’ve always liked the Airfix since building one when it first came out. I’ve built a couple since as well, including the Turk that I posted in RFI a few years back. :) If this one goes well I will be following on with a Belgian at some point. 

Martin

Its good to hear from you too, Erwin.

As a guide to how she will look, but with yellow tail flashes instead of the blue, here is another early 'Streak with the 6 Aerobrigata:

Credit: F-84F and RF-84F by Aviation Collectables book (which I own)

Also in preparation, I need to work out the dimensions of the shorter fin. I am very fortunate and grateful that Rob de Bie @Rob de Bie has provided me with a scale drawing. I now need to match this to the kit parts and decide how to tackle it. Probably I will retain the fin cap although it will need to be lengthened slightly.  

Martin  

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Mike said:

Unhidden at Martin's request :)

Thanks a lot, Mike.

So, with the RF now getting close to RFI I have resurrected this thread as a follow on F-84 offering. My first tasks are to draw out the decals I need so that I have time to get them prepared and printed. Giorgio @Giorgio N has agreed, to help with this. That is support that I am indebted to him for. This should entail a mask for the fin flash and the serial number for the fin. Other than that I have the Tauro decal sets. The next, slow, task will be scribing the panel and hatch lines and then sanding off the raised lines. It will take my feeble hands a while! I also need to check the fitment of the Sword windscreen part in to the Airfix fuselage. It might be too wide, me thinks. :(  

Martin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

I also need to check the fitment of the Sword windscreen part in to the Airfix fuselage. It might be too wide, me thinks. :(  

Hmmm.... it was bugging me and now I think I might need to pull the Italeri kit from the store! It has a wider cockpit. Time will tell. It is pretty much the same as the Airfix offering apart from that. 

I should also say that I am venturing in to the world of acrylics with this one. My chosen weapon is Vallejo Metal in various shades, combined with my various coloured enamels. 

Martin

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Airfix (or maybe Italeri) & Sword F-84F-30-RE - 1/72
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 4:00 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Hmmm.... it was bugging me and now I think I might need to pull the Italeri kit from the store! It has a wider cockpit. Time will tell. It is pretty much the same as the Airfix offering apart from that. 

Having chewed it over for a while, looked at the Italeri versus the Airfix and I think I will stick to the latter. Overall it seems to have the better shape and more detail. I will look in to widening the fuselage with shims. Either way there will be a fair bit of scribing to do first. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And were off!!!!!

Today it has just been a few of the fundementals, like getting the basic framework of the cockpit together, as well as the internals for the intake. For the cockpit I plan to use the Airwaves set as much as I can. I had contemplated the use of the Sword cockpit but actually the Airfix kit offering will give me the rigidity of the correct kit rather than cobbling up a "make-do" alternative. So, its all fairly basic at the moment. I guess I am putting off the inevitable - the scribing! :(  That is certainly not the bit I relish! 

11795d

Well, I'm underway with assembly while the 'flash sits quietly on the shelf in the paint barn while the varnish dries thoroughly. 

More soon, one I summon up the courage!!

Martin

• Like 4

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Airfix (or maybe Italeri) & Sword F-84F-30-RE - 1/72 - 14jun22 getting started

This looks like an interesting project. I think I may have the Heller (?) kit in the stash but then again. Not one of the most famous jets of it's time.

I'll tag along.

Colin

• Like 1

You may not like the silvery plastic, but it has one very valuable property: the panel lines you rub down will leave a dark trace behind.  Makes for a much simpler scribing job as you simply follow the ghost lines whilst scribing, rather than having to lay out the whole scheme again ex nihilo.  

Looking forward to this project.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Not one of the most famous jets of it's time.

I’m not sure what era you are thinking about mate but the F-84F/RF-84F was THE backbone of the NATO forces in its day - Germany, Denmark, Norway, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece and Turkey! It was also, of course, massive in terms of its presence in the USAF.

Naturally you are very, very welcome :)

Martin

• Like 3

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Airfix & Sword F-84F-30-RE - 1/72 - 14jun22 getting started

Very interesting & inspiring to see how you tackle this, Martin. I've had the Airfix & a kitbash of the Italeri kit on the go for at least 8/9 years or so. I just do a little bit at a time to them. Don't let that put you off, I'm sure you'll get that model done a lot sooner!

I have been scribing them bit by bit & making some adjustments. I think overall the Airfix kit is the slightly better of the two for shape accuracy not by much though.

Oh & I entirely agree with you about how important the F-84F was in Europe, back in the fifties. I'm still amazed & slightly confused as to why no manufacturer has tooled up a new one in 1/72. Here's hoping that at least Sword can add the Streak to go alongside their Flash some time, either that or Kovozavody.

Hope these pics help spur you on.

The nose end of the Airfix kit with its reasonably shaped intake. Used plastic tubing for the gun ports on this one.

52149641408_393dd627c5_h.jpg

Some scribing on the Italeri kit. Used plastic tubing this time for the guns. Oh and not that I've grafted the Airfix nose onto the Italeri fuselage for this one! I am mad it is common knowledge! 🤪

52149628501_de0f2df13a_h.jpg

Work in progress with the Airfix kit with brass tubing this time. Still hasn't been closed up.

52150116880_75b9964aab_h.jpg

Airfix cockpit with some panels from the Airwaves PE set & some dry brushing.

52148609797_de956ebb2c_h.jpg

Airfix kit wings with some scratch details. A word of warning, if you suffer AMS as much as I do, you will discover that the aperture for the wheel wells on both the Italeri & definitely the Airfix kit are completely wrong. I actually decided to just leave it & add scratch material.

52150116835_64d648fdec_h.jpg

This plan was transposed from a photo of an upturned wing sitting on its edge in the corner of some museum somewhere, so I transposed the shape & ended up with this, which is much more accurate. In fact the representation on the PJ kit is even nearer real life out of the three kits. Even now i'm not sure & I might change it!

52149865094_f942b064c0_h.jpg

Some rivets added.

52148609742_f4cef91aea_h.jpg

This is the underside comparison with the PJ kit. I'll have to dig out that photograph.

52149670276_b9d325b103_h.jpg

Found the photo of the wing underside.

52149681436_e9f79d0fa2_h.jpg

Well, I hope that helps & hasn't put you off! 😆

Martin

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Great Martin—appreciate you sharing the wheel well shape issue—cheers, Erwin 

Thanks. There's definitely issues and no mistake! Even the photo is misleading as the wheel cover (that's normally attached to the undercarriage leg is upside down, or it even looks like it's from the opposite wing. This is the best image of the underside I could find.

Thanks for your posts, Martin @Lightningboy2000. They are very inspiring and a good reference.

Here’s my earlier attempt at scribing the F-84F:

I hadn’t considered the wheel wells, but will now. I will look to see what the Sword wheel wells and doors are like. If they are good I might slip them on to the Airfix wings.

You mention Sword as a producer of a new moulded kit but I’d favour someone like Special Hobby. The Sword RF really isn’t great, but certainly better than anything else. There are shape and dimension issues, as well as many missing details. 

I hope this doesn’t take me 8 or 9 years! ;)

Martin

I checked the Sword door set and I reckon they are the closest to being correct. They aren't perfect, though. My question to myself now is whether I bother to chop all that around for the sake of a part millimetre here and there. Certainly, though, the Airfix are too big! My reference was the Caruana drawings and we know they can be off a little at times. D&S has no underside reference :(. It does have a side view with gear down that that looks even more wacky! Ho hum .....

So, a summary of what I see as "impovements" to the Airfix kit (so far!):

1. Scribe panel lines
  2. Modify the windscreen by the use of the Sword part. I might need to widen the fuselage at this point
  3. Check the upper face of the inlet duct as photos show it to be flat
  4. Add cockpit PE
  5. Add further PE based on the Airwaves set
  6. Modify the wing tank shackles
  7. Use the Sword canopy and build a new strut
  8. Add more detail to the coaming
  9. Pursue the wheel well issues and resolve
  10. Shorten the fin (this is for the early examples and for this build)
  11. Correct the gun ports on the nose
  12. Source 5" HVARs and rails/attachments
  13. Source appropriate bombs
  14. Use 450 gallon belly tanks from a Voodoo
  15. Correct the trim tabs
  16. Pivot the tailplane - maybe

That'll keep me busy :)

Martin

• Like 2

With that list of requirements it looks like it will be an enjoyable build! 🤪

I'm tempted to buy up a handful of Sword Thunderflashes & just graft the Airfix nose section on to them! Oh & just a little modification to the wings! He says...😉

6 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Oh & you know sods law dictates someone will announce a new kit in the very near future!

Yep! Just as I am decalling her ;)

• Haha 1