Airfix & Sword F-84F-30-RE - 1/72 - 27feb23 nearly there :)

I've been spending my time on fiddly bits recently, having decided to make some sway braces for the pylons. My chosen methd was to take some thin (not sue how thin!) and mark out a length that was 7mm wide. This gave me a central 2mm - the wide of the pylons - and 2.5mm either side for the "arms" (I dont know the technical term). Here is the strip before I got around to tidying a little but after cut angled edges. 

11795af

The next step was to drill each "arm" ready to take 5mm dia rod to simulate the bots/screw adjusters. 

11795ac

Again, this is before cleaning edges etc and getting the rods to an appropriate length. I also gave them a slight curve. In reality they were almost flat (to my old eyes!). I got there in the end and mounted them on the two 450gal tanks and the outer pylons.

11795aj

Oh .... an apology. I carried on modelling, took pictures, but didnt check the quality of each shot! 

Above you can see the 450 tank with the mounting rods loosely inserted as well as the forward vents.

I have also tackled the HVARs. These are from a Mustang. I have cleaned them up and drilled the holes for the forward mounting posts. After this shot I start to add rod to the lower rear fins to simulate the rear mounting posts. 

11795ad

I've also got the nosewheel leg tidy and with a little more detail. I've added the forward actuator arm/dampener. I'm not sure which. I have also added a light, as well as drilling out the dampening arm.

11795am

A few days back I bought some AN-M65 1000lb bombs from the big E site. Sadly they arrived broken :(. So, having got a refund I have ordred more from HPM but these will now have the high speed tails. 

Finally today I have got primer on her. I used Mr Surfacer 1500 from an aerosol. Thanks for the suggestion, Giorgio @Giorgio N. It has gone on well. It has shown up a lot of places that need attention but thats the purpose of it - apart from setting a good painting surface. The area around the windscreen/fuselage join needs work too. 

11795ai

Next I will need to review the whole model, checking and enhancing my scribing, correcting some blemishes, etc. 

I'll be back at her on Monday.

Martin

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Airfix & Sword F-84F-30-RE - 1/72 - 19aug22 Primed! Small bits wrestled with too!
29 minutes ago, cpoud117 said:

She's looking good!

Cleaning up the mold line on that nosewheel is going to be a pain in the rear with that dampener attached. Best of luck!

Hmm … I think I will cut it out and insert a new part ;) 

A little done this morning. 

First of all I went around to see where I had stopped short with the scriber and made corrections. I also took some filler to a panel line ahead of the port nose guns. I had used PPP and this was too soft to take the scribing that I had done. In hindersight I should have used Gloop to give it more resistance to the cutter but hey ho! Following this I have gone around with a wet fine paint brush and PPP to fill any blemishes (scribing overruns, odd minute holes, etc). Once done I will sand these back with a very fine pad. The 450gal tanks have had the same treatment.  I might get to more later but it looks like work will get in the way! ;)

11795an

Martin

• Like 8

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Airfix & Sword F-84F-30-RE - 1/72 - 23aug22 a clean up and a bit of filling

It's a shame the speedbrakes have developed a nasty rash 😉. The perforations are quite prominent on the real thing.

Have you got any JATO bottles for it? With that payload it would need them, or live up to it's nickname.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

It's a shame the speedbrakes have developed a nasty rash 😉. The perforations are quite prominent on the real thing.

Have you got any JATO bottles for it? With that payload it would need them, or live up to it's nickname.

I know, Frank @bentwaters81tfw, but I really couldn't face drilling them out, particularly as the holes are not circular!  Yes, I have a jato set from a F-84G (would it be correct?). I'm not sure whether I will use them. The photos I have of Italian F-84Fs in this kind of config dont show them. They must have therefore been a challenge to get off the ground! ;). You have (quite rightly) made we wonder about that now! Maybe I should leave the 1000lb bombs off? 

Martin

PS: I now realise you meant speedbrakes (as you said) and not spoilers (as I had read ;( ). I will be sanding them down a little. I had contemplated using the Airwaves set but it is the wrong shape and size :(. And I know you will pick up on it 😉 - I haven’t gone as far as trying to work the jet pipe in to an oval  - ;). A bridge too far for me. 

18 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I will be sanding them down a little. I had contemplated using the Airwaves set but it is the wrong shape and size :(

It’s been playing on my mind now, Frank ;). Looking at them I reckon they are extremely small to get my fingers and a small drill to them…. Hmm ….. Maybe draw a decal to represent them? 

• Like 1

Not a lot done today as paid work has been drawing me away! However, I did manage to sand the various PPP repairs, check and re-scribe lines, etc. I have chickened out of drilling the miniscule perforations on the speedbrakes and instead I have drawn a decal! Its not my preferred option but I know I'd make a mess of drilling ;(. The speedbrakes are therefore now sanded.

In the process of the above I managed to snap off a swap brace so I've also made a replacement. You can see it in the picture below. I have also got some PPP around the rear quarter-lights. 

11795ap

As it is a holiday weekend I wont be back at her until Tuesday. Have a good one!

Martin

• Like 5

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Airfix & Sword F-84F-30-RE - 1/72 - 26aug22 more clean up, repairs and ready for a second blast of primer?
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the lull in activity everyone. I have been at her on and off, as well as trying to resolve an order I made for decals (roundels) that went to worms, with the item being faulty. All sorted now, thankfully. Meanwhile I have been making HVARs, painting, and adding a few more details. 

I start with my painting plan. It is a bit rough but tells me the order of things. I had been thinking of using my new Vallejo Metals on her but I know now that I need more practice ;). So, it is going to be more enamels, which I prefer if it wasnt for the vapours! So, the metals will be a mix of Humbrol Metalcotes - Polished Aluminium, Steel, a 27002 and white mix, plus Chrome. Up to today I have the Insignia Red on (wingtips and tailplane tips), the Insignia Yellow (fin flash), the Green Antidazzle (Colourcoats ACUS15) and the grey fin tip with black forward lining. The "puttied" areas of the canopy and glazing has been painted Colourcoats Matt White, which is actually off white. 

I have also - you will notice - sanded down the rash of spots on the speedbrakes. I will now use decals for these. 

Painting plan

11795aq

The decals for the speedbrakes (top right) amongst other stuff ;)

Star3

Red, Yellow etc on, then massked and primed white

11795ar

A bit of correction around the rear glazing, added the rudder counterbalance, and added the canopy hooks (PE)

11795au

On the construction front I have made up the longer 5" HVARs and mounting parts, aswell as adding the locating hooks for the canopy. The bombs got some attention too. They still need a bit of sanding, though. I have also paid more attention to the nosewheel leg, cleaning it up and adding better struts. I'm now wondering whether to add the brake line ;)

3D printed and resin bombs

11795aw

Longr 5" HVARs

11795as

HVAR rear mounting poles plus holes for the forward poles.

11795at

Today I got the Chrome on. This is for the "shiney" bits - nose area around the guns, wing shoulders, sepped brakes and tail pipe. THis is to imitate Stainless Steel. Apparently the nose are was Aluminium but all photos I have seen show a shiney metal. :)

Here she is as of now ....

Chrome on

11795av

Tomorrow will be the "White Aluminium" which I will make up by usig H27002 and a little Satin White. My trial gave a slightly satin and lighter shade. Fingers crossed it will work. :). It is for some panels around the nose and the rear fuselage. I also need to get a darker Aluminim shade on the lower intake area. I will use H27002 Polished Alumium and a little H27003 Steel.

Martin

• Like 5

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Airfix & Sword F-84F-30-RE - 1/72 - 04oct22 a bit more done - painting mainly

Accuracy alert!!!!

I was prompted by Frank @bentwaters81tfw previously to think about RATO and thought I'd plough on regardless. Now, upon checking, I reckon I'm over loading her! It seems that the load capacity for the F-84F was 6,000lbs. So, assuming the four HVARs will be 400lbs (and I might be under estimating), the 450gal tanks come out at 2,768lbs each. So, I've blown it! I will therefore leave off the bombs and keep the HVARs, as that was a regular load configuration for the Italian machines. I could, of course, leave off one 450gal tank but as a preference I'll keep the tanks. Ho hum!

Martin

• Like 1

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Airfix & Sword F-84F-30-RE - 1/72 - 04oct22 a bit more done - painting mainly - and an accuracy alert!
20 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

So, assuming the four HVARs will be 400lbs (and I might be under estimating)

Hi Martin. According to Wikipedia an HAVR has a total mass of 134lbs so you are at 536lbs with four of those!  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Velocity_Aircraft_Rocket

Your bombs look like 750lb M117, which again according to Wiki weight in at closer to 820lbs, so yes I'd agree leave off the bombs if your tanks are full!

I have to say even four HAVR's and the two tanks take things a tad over 6,000lb but I assume the load can be reduced by underfilling the tanks?

I guess if both tanks were underfilled to compensate, the bombs could be carried also?

Just some thoughts

Terry

• Like 1

Oh dear, Terry @Terry1954, I am overweight even with the HVARs! (2768 x 2 + 536 = 6072!) :(  

16 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

ut I assume the load can be reduced by underfilling the tanks?

I like your thinking :)

Edit: I guess the 450gal tank configuration was really for ferrying. If there was a 230gal tank set in 1/72 I could have used those but my love of these machines - all jets actually - all tanked to the max would have had its way eventually ;). To be honest I am not a fan of weapon loads and only really include them if they are essential for the overall look of the final model, like with the Thud carrying a centreline set of M117s with extensions. 

• Haha 1

Back to those speed brakes - Frank @bentwaters81tfw, do the speedbrake outers sit proud of the fuselage when closed? Something makes me think that they do. If so I might have a better solution than the decals. The Airwaves set is riddled with inaccuracies but it does have PE speedbrake outers. If they sat proudof the fuselage I could simple cement them on! ;) Voila! Of course, life isnt so easy!! ;)

Martin

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Yes, the stainless steel was scabbed on, as the empty cartridge cases were damaging the aluminium skins. they overlap all edges by  approx 1/4 inch.

@RidgeRunner

And the hinges stayed unchanged? I’ll search a few walkarounds . Thanks Frank

edit: I reckon this answers my question ;) F84F+2.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Like you 'paint by numbers' diagram :giggle: but if it works :yes:. Nice work on the 'bird', pity you couldn't load it out as you thought but rules are rules. I'm sure it'll look fantastic either way.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. I hope she’ll be okay. She and the Flogger have taken me a long time! Did you catch sight of my new Mustang decals too? ;). They are awaiting the Arma Hobby P/F-51D/K kit :)

• Like 2

Fantastic work so far Martin. Disappointed that you didn't get round to trying the Vallejo Metal Color paints, but I'm liking your paint - step by step instructions! 

You can guess I'm quietly watching all this for valuable info & reference (also huge thanks to Frank's valuable input) for when I "eventually" get stuck into mine! Or I might impress Stuart & just build the Airfix kit out of the box! 🤣 My finicky OCD/AMS might prevent that from ever happening though! Aaaaargh!  🤪🤪🤪

Also looking forward to when the team - Frank included eventually get their Streak on wheels with the wings tail plane & fin attached with BCWM.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Also looking forward to when the team - Frank included eventually get their Streak on wheels with the wings tail plane & fin attached with BCWM.

Maybe we’ll have to have a get together when she’s finally done?

Thanks for your message, and for your ideas early on. I wouldn't have considered the wheel bay conversion without your input. To me they now look pretty good. Today I am going see if “scabbing on” (as Frank calls it) the PE speedbrakes would work. I don’t know why I didn’t thinking about it before! If not the decals would work, I guess. :). 

I started practicing sing with the metals but really haven’t mastered them yet. I had hoped this would be their debut but I need to use an old build to hone my skills on (such as they are!) :)

Speedbrakes "scabbed on" :). I need to fill, sand, prime etc today but they look okay, I reckon. :)

Martin

11795ax

Edit: now sanded, filled (PPP) and primed Mr Surfacer 1500:

11795ay

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I did but I don't want to go down that rabbit hole just yet...

Stuart

They'll sit in the decal file until either Arma Hobby brings out the D or I lose patience! ;). They took a LOT of drawing by Mika and I commend him for his work :)

Martin

• Like 1