Avro Shackleton MR3

Christer A

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

They look nicely detailed in plastic, but British custom would have them raised at all times except when landing.

What do you think?

Well... it is a British GB... 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh, is it two weeks since my last update?

Where does the time go?

Well, I guess assembling a trampoline for the youngest, practice driving with the daughter and also physically inviting people over takes it's toll.

But Gravwell was a fun boardgame!

I'll leave the flap ponderings for a while and try to finish up the rest of the wings for now.

Since the nacelles are on, i had a look at the engine fronts. Eduard offers a complete set of etch for the radiator faces, but I didn't really see a need for replacing them all

52000856295_f7c4c8bc1c_k.jpg

I mean, part 46 on the etch fret is basically flat and the main radiator phase in plastic has a bit more depth and the same amount of detailing.

This Eduard fret isn't really worth the money...

Anyway, I shot some Steel on to the radiators, gave them a black wash and attached them to the engine fronts.

52000856250_5898285064_k.jpg

Funny thing, the diameter the prop-shaft is a lot smaller than the opening so it rattles quite a bit.

Hopefully this will be better once the spinners and props are installed!

Before mating the fronts to the nacelles i also stuffed the inner ones with a respectable amount of lead.

52000856210_78ef02258f_k.jpg

It almost balances around the rear of the main gear bay now, so with a few more grams in the nose I should be able to avoid a tail sitter.

Hopefully.

Then I went around the wings, replacing plastic with brass wherever needed.

52000384198_2ab3312ef8_k.jpg

52000576869_81a54836a6_k.jpg

52000576794_d9d729349c_k.jpg

There are still a few trim tab actuators to replace, but hopefully the wings could get some primer very soon!

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

I made a slight mess in the main cockpit so that has killed the mojo for a while. That killed the mojo quite hard but I did manage to tart up the front observer/gunner station 

52059778539_b601c09eb5_o.jpg

The rear lounge was also completed:

52059542741_509ddbc6bb_o.jpg

Since installing that into the fuselage, I'm certain that Revell choose wisely to not include much more interior bits. It's impossible to see anything once the fuselage is closed!

Oh well. 

Time to muster up some strength to save the proper cockpit then!

In the meantime, I'm supposed to work in the garden.

We moved into our new built house some 6 months ago and the outside consists mainly of gravel and dirt. Since we're also living on the west coast its also quite windy most of the time.

The idea of making a support wall, fill that with soil and then some plants , bushes and trees started to form

In the proud tradition of "Engineers do it in CAD first" I did just that.

52060658471_b7760debec_o.png

A quick job to see how many blocks to order and so on helped a lot.

At least for me, but SWMBO couldn't really see the finial result for her inner sight while looking at the CAD pictures....

Well,  few more weekends of work and we finally ended up here

52060032475_d22df439f2_o.jpg

Whew!

Now I just need to dump a few tons of soil in there, but I have excellent tools for that!

A shovel and a wheelbarrow.

Oh dear.

• Like 8

Nice work gardener Christer. Looks to me like you could easily have a truck back up in there and dump some soil 🙂 

Regarding the flaps, unless you wish to do a preserved example, have them up. I've looked at hundreds of Shackleton photographs (I'm finishing up a book on the Growler), and with service aircraft they always seem to be up. The bomb bay doors on the other hand were very often open on the ground. Nice work on the interior, whether you can ever see it or not (I left the aft door open on mine, so if you use a flashlight...).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Nice work gardener Christer. Looks to me like you could easily have a truck back up in there and dump some soil 🙂 

Thanks Jeroen!

Since half the neighborhood is still in the process of getting built, it could be a fairly simple process to just ask nicely for one of the excavators roaming around to just empty one bucket here. That would do the trick!

Still, the trouble is that I need to pack 20cm behind the wall with some "16-32mm" gravel first before adding the soil. 

But it builds muscle, and a nice redneck  to do it manually.

21 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Regarding the flaps, unless you wish to do a preserved example, have them up. I've looked at hundreds of Shackleton photographs (I'm finishing up a book on the Growler), and with service aircraft they always seem to be up. The bomb bay doors on the other hand were very often open on the ground. Nice work on the interior, whether you can ever see it or not (I left the aft door open on mine, so if you use a flashlight...).

Regards,

Jason

Thanks for the confirmation Jason!

To leave them up solves a lot of problems with poorly place joint lines etc.

The aft door will be open, just in case someone would us a flashlight ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Christer A said:

52060032475_d22df439f2_o.jpg

Whew!

Now I just need to dump a few tons of soil in there, but I have excellent tools for that!

A shovel and a wheelbarrow.

Oh dear.

Hi Christer,

Several similarities between your build and mine! I bought a detailing set from Airwaves - cheaper than Eduard, and used very little of it even on my ancient Frog offering - like you I decided the radiator intake grilles an the kit were more "3D" and therefore adequate. I too had to juggle the build with constructing a low wall in the garden - though nowhere near as substantial as yours, in my case getting rid of the soil involved bagging it and carrying it up a flight of steps to put it in the car which was tiring at my age, and of course the building materials all had to come down the hill as well.

DSC01926

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 5:32 AM, Christer A said:

This Eduard fret isn't really worth the money...

I have found this to be the case with other sets too. Their 1/48 Hercules set was at least 50% for extended flaps. I have never seen a Hercules on the ground with flaps extended,  before or since. A complete waste of money. 

I think one of Eduards isses here is that you have both Airfix and Revell doing more or less the same kit with different levels of details.

Eduard might not have the time to really dig in to the differences in details, but are more or less doing the same thing for both kits with some slight tweaks, and then you end up with details for parts that does not need the or vice versa.

The good thing is that it's etch, so one could always leave it off if it doesn't really fit. You can't really do that with Aires stuff...

• Like 1

Well, it's not all gardening or all planning to build a sun deck with a pergola, I have managed to find a few minutes to spend on this brute!

I'm calling the instrument panel done.

52091825774_1d4aa2bed6_k.jpg

The rest of the pilots office was mostly done as well

52091579586_af42c4cc47_k.jpg

I do have about 5 dozen levers to add and a few other etched details to try to fit. If that is possible or not without big blobs of CA-glue remains to be seen.

Speaking of blobs/etched bits:

52092086005_ee367b47de_k.jpg

Who thought it was a good idea to fold the trim tab actuator with two long flat pieces?

That rod will never be straight.

I wonder if I could cut it off and replace it with some brass rod instead? I guess it could be worth a try.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Hello?

Is this thing still on?

I guess the GB has ended, so I should probably move this over to the WIP section, since I still do some stuff with the big old brute...

Speaking of which, I started painting the wings and tail!

After a long session with sanding, primer ,more sanding, scribing, primer and so on I finally managed to lay down an even coat of Gunze Dark Sea Grey.

52415940750_de191ba3e6_o.jpg

It didn't require as much paint as one could think ! Gunze DSG is very close to the Ultimate Grey primer that I use though so sometimes it was a little hard to see If i had passed an area or not.

A solid color will not do, so out with some ocean grey:

52414983027_a9b0744277_o.jpg

Unfortunately, the weekend ended before I could lay down the next coat 🙁

• Like 3

Great to see you back to work on the Growler, Christer! I'd forgotten about this build. I have one waiting to be primed (and waiting and waiting...). Maybe seeing your work will move me to finally finish mine.

Regards,

Jason

• 1 month later...

Well, a small and late update is better than none, right?

I rummaged around among all tools and stuff and found that I had this set:

52432652180_0633554b7b_o.jpg

This could be interesting, so I went to work with the masks and Extra Dark Sea Grey:

52432473764_991d6a81d1_o.jpg

Well, that effect is way too pronounced, so it tried to mist some Dark Sea Grey to blend it all in.

52432718363_af2ee03a2d_o.jpg

52431694587_82f3648dbb_o.jpg

52432202391_ae34def458_o.jpg

As always, I blend things back a little too far.

A few clearcoats later and I had a sufficient foundation for the decals though, 

52531662112_f32a5860c1_o.jpg

52532605230_524e7d0b15_o.jpg

The fin flashes eats Micro Sol like crazy and they still wont bed down properly.

I guess some tiny punctures could solve that?

By the way, for how long is it possible to attack decals with all these solvents?

Can it be measured in weeks?

• Like 4

Excellent use of the stencils there, Christer 😄

I think you can keep putting Microsol on until you run out or until there's no decal left I guess... Just let it dry completely before applying again, sometimes they come around after a bit of time. Maybe apply a little bit of heat with a hairdryer? I've never done it myself but I've seen people on here do it.