PK-127 : De Havilland Twin Otter - Canadian Rescue Service (Revell rebox 1/72)

jrlx

This was my second entry to the 2022 Matchbox GB.

As usual, I didn't manage to finish the build within the GB's timeframe. So, the thread is now moved to the WIP area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear all,

this is my second entry to this GB: Revell's rebox of Matchbox's Twin Otter in 1/72. I'll build the Canadian Rescue Service version with skids.

Here's the box:

y4mS_q1C_1fU5lDeAxYaLSws40-1kyAaE5ilqYeb

IMAG7547

There are 3 light-grey plastic sprues and 1 transparent parts sprue:

y4muvNK-rJaNLs6uNMZu3U8Oy7PlVnwFgOlFqed0

IMAG7551

y4m6r-gKNek1drcXMeUpfG_0VkRQXqyhUdQoSfgh

IMAG7552

y4mfS4QuH5Nvt0aA1C0NW56aXZvDmF3p68dxhobm

IMAG7553

There are parts for three different versions: wheels, wheels + skids and floats.

The decals look excellent:

y4mz0Yv3y-B0Tuk7WVdRh7S97BMH4W_XlGoZc5IN

IMAG7555

I haven't started this build yet but expect to start it in about two weeks after I make some substantial progress in my Westland Lynx.

Cheers

Jaime

Edited by jrlx
Thread moved from the Matchbox GB area
  • Like 11

Well done Jaime

I had no idea the kit originally came with sheets of kitchen roll ! :wink:

This has proved to be a really popular subject, which just makes it all the better.

Best of luck with this one

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I had no idea the kit originally came with sheets of kitchen roll !

I always insist that my kits come with kitchen paper. It's really useful during the build! :)

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 10:37 AM, JOCKNEY said:

I had no idea the kit originally came with sheets of kitchen roll ! :wink:

You are a nutter Pat! 

Nice choice Jamie, this Matchbox Twotter is sure popular and that's a great looking decal sheet supplied with that box. Best of luck mate. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hi again,

I didn't manage to finish this build in the Matchbox GB, which is perfectly normal with me... The build is now in the Aircraft WIP area, where I'll press on till it's finished.

I did progress a bit during the GB, though I didn't manage to update the thread. I'll do it now.

I started work by removing the fuselage parts off the sprues. The panel lines in this kit are represented by raised lines, so I rescribed them. The following picture shows the rescribed lines on the fuselage half on the top area of the picture. The fuselage half on the bottom still has the original raised lines:

y4me8i3byN8IwLlmGVzUkACfyPz9ZJR8JIj5gzws

IMAG7580

The bulkheads behind the cockpit and behind the passenger cabin were glued in place:

y4mj1uf39FO_zLMzsk1lI4m11DPBQsryEx2XcGJE

IMAG7589

Next, the interior was painted medium grey:

y4m5hkgiQYmMcPB7Xs02ELnXtNzLoITiDDfgNbaH

IMAG7601

The cockpit parts were also painted: instrument panel, cockpit base, control column and seats:

y4mc2nktqn3u8pzy9WqB8UswKb4i3xv1Zl1JQop5

IMAG7602

There are decals for the instrument panel and seatbelts. Here's the set-up for applying the decals:

y4mScXD2VgC2gRwsFBglWIH9zqq8xTSM6MB56VtY

IMAG7604

The decals were applied. The instrument panel decal doesn't correspond exactly to the raised detail on the instrument panel part:

y4mo2HxI7Zgk9l1fslZyv_ECSUmKatgiUdIx-ANv

IMAG7617

and the cockpit parts were glued together:

y4m_jeIFA10zJo3S30wIJlYygGoFA16otlxY9_k8

IMAG7618

Next step: assembling the wings and engines. First, the raised panel lines were rescribed, after which the wing halves were glued together:

y4mkYYxd_kT5H09MaLiExOJqxjCrh6q_Ez5QmNjq

IMAG7624

Then, the engine cowlings where glued in place:

y4mJW1jlevZKSJewfvIxWqDp5aVuGvvxQmtW72oy

IMAG7625

As can be seen, fit of the parts could be better and some filling with putty and sanding will be needed:

y4mdRZ816VnMIYs85a0l-XCS_UqSl42z8moK0eY7

IMAG7626

y4mZfofDKISOp28ytxCFtwJyWOjuQmRW8FUDzzeE

IMAG7627

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Tomjw said:

Excellent. I have this one in my stash so I hope you don't mind if I tag along?

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks a lot for your interest, by all means please do!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

On 01/03/2022 at 00:52, jrlx said:

I always insist that my kits come with kitchen paper. It's really useful during the build! :)

Kitchen paper is a sore subject in my house.  Apparently,  it's not meant for modelling. 

Just wait until next time Mrs Stickler goes to use a cotton bud!!🤣

• Haha 2

Looking forward to your build, I served in both the reserve squadron (418) that flew these Twin Otters and the regular force squadron (440).

We had 7 Twin Otters in Edmonton, Alberta and two in Yellowknife NWT. It was a great plane to maintain, it never broke. We’d tow out all seven Twin Otters each day so we could set-up the volleyball courts in the hangar.

Sadly we lost two aircraft, 808 while on UN Peacekeeping in Pakistan, it was destroyed when an Indian Hunter bomber it. No casualties on the ground.

And Rescue 807, crewed by 418 Squadron at time of crash. They were searching for another SAR aircraft (civilian) that had gone down looking for an overdue light plane.  The aircraft flew into the side of a mountain, killing all on board: pilot Capt. Ted Kates, co-pilot Capt. Wayne Plumtree and 5 observers and one flight engineer. The crash was caused by an optical illusion.  Color of rocks in mountain combined with sun angle at the time of the crash made a large ledge impossible to see.  I knew both pilots well, great men, fathers, husbands, and very experienced aircrew.

Edited by Scooby
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Hi @Scooby,

Thanks for your interest and for the real life details of operating these aircraft. I'm very sorry to know about the loss of the 807 aircraft and crew...

Just a question: was it usual to fit these aircraft with floats instead of a regular landing gear? Or there were a few permanently fitted with floats? I ask this because I couldn't find a picture of the 806 box art aircraft with floats but I found pictures of 802 in both configurations.

Cheers

Jaime

13 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi @Scooby,

Thanks for your interest and for the real life details of operating these aircraft. I'm very sorry to know about the loss of the 807 aircraft and crew...

Just a question: was it usual to fit these aircraft with floats instead of a regular landing gear? Or there were a few permanently fitted with floats? I ask this because I couldn't find a picture of the 806 box art aircraft with floats but I found pictures of 802 in both configurations.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks for the condolences.

Floats we’re only on in the North West Territories during the summer months. We mainly put them on to go fishing. When we still did SAR, any of the nine Twin Otters could be put on floats, although I think 802, 803, and 809 were the favorites for mounting the floats, as the bolts lined up the best on them. We put the floats on 809 for the Queen when she visited Vancouver in 1987. You could flip the 6 and make it 809. 809 was a replacement for 808, so it was the newest and had the lowest airframe hours. The markings in the kit are for this era.

After the SAR role was dropped, the markings changed substantially to what is called FIP markings, RESCUE was dropped from the side, a different Canada font was used, and Armed Forces was dropped from around the roundels. At this time, 801, 806, and 809 were sold.

The current squadron is only based in Yellowknife and flies 802, 803, 804, & 805. Again, 802 & 803 are mainly used for floats. In the winter months all the aircraft are typically ski equipped. Tundra tires (big fat cartoon like balloon tires) are also on most of the time in the north. The Twin Otters main role now is to ferry Canadian Rangers around the north or to transport scientist studying the climate. For these schemes you’d need new decals, Caracal does have them planned for the future (all eras). I know because I supplied the info.

• Like 2

Hello @Scooby,

Thank you very much for the details about floats and landing gear. I was planning to build 806 with skids around the wheels, like in this picture:

0278942.jpg

It would be a bit out of the ordinary. But I'll consider the idea of building 809 on floats.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Hi again,

I've been away from BM as an active contributor for a long time now because I haven't done any modelling for a while. I intend to resume work on my shelf of doom in January but I still have some updating to do on a few WIP threads. This is one of them.

The work below was done back in July and August.

The lateral windows were glued in place. The fit was flimsy and the gaps were filled in with Revell Contacta Clear:

y4mmPVvkwxU80qZSwwp4SEdXYZYx4FkTn6iGLkHi

IMAG7637

While the glue cured, I glued the engine faces in place. A lot of work will be needed to remove all the seams, steps and gaps:

y4mG8_KZoF0VdNjWIathYiAUxac1u5OqctRldpf7

IMAG7638

I decided to mask the windows with the fuselage still open, so that I could glue back in place any window that I pushed in by accident in the process. Strips of masking tape were applied:

y4mVIwrs1Cu1NENsCtmjUpcTfxpqwr8AcjZ24__R

IMAG7639

... and the excess was removed using a sharp nº 11 blade:

y4ma2Gon6FphZzyYLAZu9ysOCPtFrMeKm9QjLoA2

IMAG7640

The cockpit was glued in place:

y4mFC9TgaBme1DyyANcoGPRGIu5CqOJsS12peL6w

IMAG7641

The instructions recommend using 20g of weight on the nose, to avoid a tail seater. I used lead shot held in place by milliput. Since the nose didn't have enough space for all the shot, some was installed under and right behind the cockpit:

y4mjk_nnvOKfSewolIuhQ_D39tj3O1ciRPcP6Rff

IMAG7642

Before painting the milliput and lead with interior grey, I masked the inside of the windows and the cockpit:

y4mLMVYdiEr8WBY6NMIUa-sK2T-daKQHZ1DuKPa_

IMAG7645

Here's the result after painting:

y4mWw883RcJ9HqQfx0gqbNHVksqQoArdnlpLBtp4

IMAG7648

Finally, the fuselage halves were glued together:

y4mnfmTk3FzJLxw_tWJR8hfFnoozYhpi-y6i3kRH

IMAG7653

Next, I glued the cockpit front windows in place and decided to paint black the weight in the nose:

y4m2u-AjcB9_QUg4AE7bBADYw9BuqEXyexv9mUZQ

IMAG7655

The alignment of the fuselage halves in front of the cockpit was poor. So, I inserted a piece of sprue in the front opening to force a better fit while the glue cured:

y4mgsqbOyC_jQmlzUIKWo_tCmyQwr7ANxl0b-QYf

IMAG7656

The fit of the front window is also quite poor and the gaps were filled in with Revell Contacta Clear.

y4mhQAYmJAvGBvvULH_uUxJv0s-VQxltJjl4ZNl3

IMAG7657

A lot of work on the seams and gaps will be needed.

The WIP thread is now up to date.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 5