PK-108 : Westland Lynx of the Deustsche Bundesmarine (Revell rebox 1/72)

jrlx

This was my first entry to the 2022 Matchbox GB.

As usual, I didn't manage to finish the build within the GB's timeframe. So, the thread is now moved to the WIP area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear all,

This is my first entry to this GB: Revell's rebox of Matchbox's Westland Lynx in 1/72:

y4mUf7YPeIV6cCbXuXGFr1f-I6teFgPLR50CBfMz

IMAG7546

Here are the sprues: 3 sprues of light grey plastic and 1 of transparent parts:

y4mBMoNWBg3sLORaGThZtMzrGzDTEIYzYZOM05P7

IMAG7548

y4mUWb5mxIxG1QiFGln_KmWOrDl6VQo-QEmLObiH

IMAG7549

y4m3EcNDI0QlFeGEZ6_3TuFIH3A6Dv7hptyk7NB1

IMAG7550

There's some flash in places but not too bad and the level of detail is good, considering the age of the kit.

The decals are a bit yellow on the backing paper , but I hope they work well:

y4m5YKvtw_LhwRd9REgn2cF6T0mfNAWWJEu8ooOn

IMAG7554

I've started work by removing the main parts from the sprues:

y4m1aS0vluYReXW11zGc4GpVWAUEsvOaJbmoZq1u

IMAG7560

A quick dry fit of the fuselage shows that fit is reasonably good and some weight should be added to the nose to avoid a tail sitter:

y4mtbGABRJaElrUNFn6IVo1ME_IxE7q6XZur4Aga

IMAG7561

I removed a few more parts and cleaned them of flash but haven't progressed much yet.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 11

Hi Jaime

Great to see you in this GB

Your choice of the Lynx is an

absolute classic, have you decided on what version to build yet  ?

Best of luck with this one 

Cheers Pat  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great to see you in this GB

Thanks Pat!

I've been very quiet on the modelling front in the last year or so but hope to be back on track now.

12 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

have you decided on what version to build yet

Yes, I'll do the Deutsche Kriegsmarine version, shown on the box art. The blue-grey on top and white bottom scheme looks great.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 4

Great to have you onboard Jamie and nice to see yet another of Matchbox's (Revell reissue) Lynx's being built here. It's fast becoming a popular kit so I with you the very best of luck as this build progresses. Looks the good so far! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 03/04/2022 at 00:05, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Jaime

Have you had a chance to make a start on your Lynx yet ?

Cheers Pat 

Hi Pat,

thanks for your interest. I have all the parts taken off the sprues, cleaned and ready for painting. I'll try to post some pictures in the next few days.

The daily job has been very time consuming and haven't managed to get much workbench time.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi again,

As I said to Pat above, I've been progressing very slowly in this build. I've only managed to prepare the parts for painting. I'll show a few pictures taken in the process.

On the inner face of the doors, a small piece was glued to allow the doors to slide. It can be seen on the lower left corner of the door on the left of the picture:

y4mfOEmPgbw6M6WOXVR3LjoHPZt7LHxELL2MLFyg

IMAG7562

I also glued the parts making up the lateral extensions where the main landing gear will be installed. They can be seen here, together with the lower back part of the fuselage:

y4mCwTCIdGmbH7hwwObCfvO2-mz3_tzl_-bOdXRs

IMAG7563

The top of the fuselage and engine cover can be seen here. There are two lateral parts  to be glued:

y4m7NR1EAmQUB3qP0bqaVvN7oalHrrYK5ijEpX0t

IMAG7564

Dry-fitting all the fuselage parts I concluded that the doors cannot be inserted after glueing the top and lateral parts of the fuselage:

y4mReh-UcSKtHsHV4bzMGOO4KM7NA85ZibpZfb6C

IMAG7565

So, it isn't possible to paint the doors and fuselage separately and install the doors later in order to have sliding doors on the model. I decided to glue the doors in closed position and paint the whole model in the end. There's no special detail to be seen inside anyway.

This is a more complete dry-fit, which shows that the model seems not to be a tail-seater after all:

y4mUKwgagWEER9DHEK6JngkuGiyRK7B-6aUxphLs

IMAG7566

I'll add some weight to the nose, just to be sure.

Here we can see all parts ready for painting:

y4mWHxto1GHOQtlvnPjLpvTAeGeOuF1j25hL4Ifq

IMAG7569

That's all for now.

I think I'll have to try and finish first my Typhoon, which I'm also currently building in the Bomber/Strike GB, as that GB ends first. I still have to start my Twin Otter as well. So, too many builds in parallel...

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 7

Great stuff Jaime

Yes I know what you mean about too many builds !

I've just finished one in the Bombers/Strike GB, I've got plans for the Turning Japanese GB, and still unfinished builds in this one :frantic:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 04/06/2022 at 23:35, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @jrlxJaime

We have a 2 week extension on this GB, hopefully that will give you an opportunity to come back to this one.

Cheers Pat 

Thank you very much for the heads up Pat. I haven't been able to progress much and I very much doubt I'll manage to finish the build in time :(

• Sad 1

Hi all,

As usual, I didn't finish the build in the GB. I did progress a bit more during the GB but I didn't manage to update the thread. I'll do it now, and keep pressing forward till I finish the build. After all, it's not such a complex kit...

In a previous post I said the doors couldn't be installed after gluing the top part of the fuselage (i.e.: the main engine cover). Therefore, I decided to glue the doors in the closed position:

y4mHQM5wy-pT-_fDdhknu0BY6qBcgaV14Yw-YRmx

IMAG7571

y4mg89T98otOi3-I8QtZjgGEjFxFd67zu7MsdOM8

IMAG7572

Next, I glued the parts making up the main rotor:

y4mpyGgh3qrjJCWolv-UVRxBsT_BEqPnoqeo2qJb

IMAG7573

y4m8ziK3sPgYd4PkAtaeRKZo3HjR2GE8BLGv6pLp

IMAG7594

Lead weights were inserted in the nose, being kept in place by Milliput:

y4mz7pCmpJjPbiZFcYXtFmI_HW3D8yZpKZz8mKOA

IMAG7574

y4mmGUGdg12rPMpWVIjwCXwXxjl89fN4yfooSWYe

IMAG7575

The interior was latter painted matte black.

A new dry fit shows that the model is now comfortably a non-tail seater:

y4mqg9AgBav_3Q_-jED6n9_mX7oyqa2SnVJP5mbv

IMAG7576

Next, I painted the interior of the model matte black. Here is the cockpit and passenger cabin base:

y4mwQyusB6Np-SIcwaRXMfEcEr9Nr1XvA7nKj01m

IMAG7600

I also painted black some smaller parts. The pilot seats were painted medium grey:

y4mRbpshhCnZCvVRSP5EEAx5ANvctoK5GP_clzAj

IMAG7598

Inspection of the clear parts shown that there are moulding lines inside the parts. These defects are not superficial and cannot be removed, so I have to live with them:

y4m9ak5edK_281AppbU_z4rGWUQ81Kr7R_Ddp68x

IMAG7591

y4mz9cMBqNrewOUtYmkA94v_hvBK90YlG5cprMgY

IMAG7592

The clear parts were bathed in Alclad Acqua Gloss and left to dry for a few days. Next, I glued the lateral windows in place. The parts are slightly smaller than the openings, which didn't help. I had to use some Revell Clear glue as filler around the parts to keep them in place:

y4m-VFn8lD0RaD2qkB8Nsx6avq3WHrTVRzDcW_rP

IMAG7593

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 3

Shaping up nicely, always good to see a Lynx.

One small tidbit, if I may - for the timeframe of the markings, the title should read "Bundesmarine". The Kriegsmarine ended in 1945...

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

• jrlx changed the title to PK-108 : Westland Lynx of the Deustsche Bundesmarine (Revell rebox 1/72)
43 minutes ago, Hook said:

Shaping up nicely, always good to see a Lynx.

One small tidbit, if I may - for the timeframe of the markings, the title should read "Bundesmarine". The Kriegsmarine ended in 1945...

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks for your comment and correction. I've updated the thread title 😊

Cheers

Jaime

Hi again,

Continuing with the thread update.

Due to the kit's age, the interior detail is basic. Since the cabin doors will be closed, only the seats and instrument panel will be visible through the front windows. So, I decided to make seatbelts to provide some detail to the seats. The belts are done from painted masking tape and fine copper wire bent to shape for the buckles.

I started by cutting 1 mm-wide stripes on a piece of masking tape glued to the cutting mat. These stripes were painted medium grey:

y4mO5LJPrSGBeJ5is74eyokL_u64fNKlX10IPeKK

IMAG7596

Here we can see some of the buckles, already shaped to form:

y4maa1qTN3EflV-zWpW2P4Ph9w9dCpOGJubTbETb

IMAG7609

After installation of the seatbelts on the seats, I used a 1 mm-thick Liquid Chrome pen to paint the buckles:

y4myUmKAFqaL4veYaTaoF7SEe-WXR7zqHXSOGEZL

IMAG7613

There's a decal for the instruments on the central console between the seats. Here's the set-up for applying the decal:

y4mnvGQW1Q9EiNwDn5kHKkIq90xQn85_NqHmvXm8

IMAG7603

After application of the decal and installation of the seats, here's the result:

y4mQX5nUcH-IZS8oEoDF4xSn3AS4zqypsaVqlxwW

IMAG7614

Before closing the fuselage, I decided to apply masking tape to the lateral windows. Since these clear parts were held in place by filing around the gaps with clear glue, it would be risky to apply the masking with the fuselage already closed. So, I covered the clear parts with pieces of masking tape, and cut the tape to shape with a sharp modelling blade:

y4mmG7mozBBze_KuS5_azc-BSyc0_E7X3WybiKna

IMAG7615

y4mAesZQFH8GQlYBymAe2CM_xVVU0KiPNHy0Hnit

IMAG7616

The parts making up the fuselage underside where the main wheels will be installed, were also glued together. Some filler will be needed:

y4mYvrMt-5U0bjus93Azo-1oAMUQywOVNsjNssru

Next, the cockpit and cabin base was glued to the inner side of one of the fuselage halves and the fuselage was closed. The previous sub-assebly was also glued to the underside of the fuselage:

y4mAN0xOTLNAU6x5MubkBHZzPFotNbQvQPAsZxsO

IMAG7628

y4m7juMRWoSq0rdjUjGB8wiAf5CZ_ht2n0GyPYFw

IMAG7629

The main engine cover parts were glued together. The fit is nothing to cheer about:

y4mPvimvQWA0b0RXgPo4j25a1rgF5L26kKbL9ksT

IMAG7631

Next, the nose was glued to the fuselage:

y4mNMvGkERY4hC2K8vczejwkqx4pC4mC_d1KsVHu

IMAG7632

The holders for the torpedoes were also glued in place:

y4mxEp2PS2Qb-LtwRTxLpG_sp7JiKca9m-pR_mx3

IMAG7633

Finally, here's a view of the underside:

y4mCx0Dale64YhmFIh5iBoOSFJNvNcKx0Af7IGDa

IMAG7634

That's all for now, the thread is up to date.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 5

7 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Beautiful work Jaime, I'm really enjoying this build! I want one of these kits now, to do as an Army version!

Thank you very much Zac!

This specific kit might be difficult to find and is a bit old. I believe Hobby Boss has several Lynx versions available, which should be a bit more detailed. I have the boxing for the Portuguese Navy Lynx.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi again,

I've been away from BM as an active contributor for a long time now because I haven't done any modelling for a while. I intend to resume work on my shelf of doom in January but I still have some updating to do on a few WIP threads. This is one of them.

The work below was done back in August.

After closing the fuselage, I had to finish the instrument panel and install the canopy. As can be seen in the next picture, the seams on the IP face and cowling need attention.

y4mwOjSRb7CJ7U0_Fnwkb5MbnuPKe0hJqtouaYDt

IMAG7646

In order to allow for an easier application of the IP decal, I decided to apply a piece of thin plasticard sheet:

y4mZHLCUU3Z9wcCaNGFE1RHwvZz8KNOBZnydmbmB

IMAG7647

Result after cutting to shape:

y4mbTeHRkUEQXrxRLuEdT4ml5K-MFwu95lvoye0d

IMAG7650

The seam on the cowling was filled in with PPP:

y4mPG3LVTEVCSAW2Z5tUbMeRiGiwh3qGns3wvPeX

IMAG7651

y4mluT50o2QsO49ANlKgfvEq6tYs4YMoHsuqcfcE

IMAG7652

After painting, the seam was still visible, so another application of PPP was needed:

y4mmqsixv5As2toGgWrJdkekIX6UaXFwzglay1uD

IMAG7658

I still haven't removed the PPP to check if the seam is now invisible.

Along these steps, I had painted the IP face black and applied the IP decal but found that the IP face should be painted white so that the instruments on the decal could be visible. I managed to remove the decal and return it to the decal sheet before it dried in place:

y4maTQr6HhKharCh06HmILUiZq3xOvo1-bujS3Lz

IMAG7654

So, I painted the IP face white and also used the white paint as primer for the parts that will be latter painted yellow:

y4m62AhOih0b9oagnItagAVj7m8pGbRAp4HhikUQ

IMAG7649

The thread is now up to date. Hopefully, I'll get back to this build after the New Year festivities.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3