1/72 Mister X SHADO Mobile (Gerry Anderson's UFO TV Series)

Hi everyone, this will be an addition to the UFO diorama, although the UFO has no stated scale, I think this 1/72 kit is close enough in size to make it work in the project. Sadly, no decals are included, but I should be able to make my own. More updates soon.

PqcPILd.jpg
zF0E6lT.jpg
TJsUhKA.jpg
BS6xUmt.jpg

• Like 12

Wow I've never seen this one before, so will be following with interest. At 1/72 it must be quite small, but it looks pretty accurate from what I can see. Resin tracks - that'll be fun...

• Thanks 1

Very nice indeed. The UFO is gorgeous and i can't wait to see how the mobile looks next to it. I didn't know these kits existed, i thought it was just the likes of Bandai that did this sort of thing (along with Thunderbirds etc)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, the SHADO mobile is just about finished, I scratch built some crew figures out of wire and whatever was in my spares box; at this scale they were very crude.

Lighting was added with the use of some SMD's and fibre optic strands, it will be powered off a 9 volt power supply.

The body colour was painted with Tamiya XF-18, mixed with about 20% XF-16 Flat aluminium. I painted the white stripes on, but as the kit has no decals the only way I could get the SHADO 3 on the sides of the vehicle was to cut the printed cardboard lettering from a couple of larger kits that I had.

I used a new scalpel blade to gently scrape away the thick cardboard from the back of the print. I used PVA glue to fix them to the vehicle, then carefully painted the background body colour to blend the letters into the bodywork the best I could, not as neat as a decal, but the best I could do.

The resin tracks were a bit of a fiddle to fit; I fixed the track sections to foil tape and then placed them in hot water to get them to bend around the front and rear drive wheels. I also used fine wire to scratch build the window wiper blades.

Next will be to combine the SHADO mobile and the UFO model I previously built into a diorama, stay tuned, and thanks for looking in on this build. Happy modelling.

Tz43h0O.jpg
XM6BA0a.jpg
NoA4Ohu.jpg
61IOANf.jpg
a1eCY3H.jpg
BEz3ZkO.jpg
SisyNEF.jpg
WANGW3m.jpg
4gEEtZq.jpg
pfzYaZD.jpg
ccbCGq6.jpg
WnDFUq7.jpg
L78C7PB.jpg
S5T6cJi.jpg
hcm4vSe.jpg
QWi0hTg.jpg

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

That's a great result! Especially as it's so small. 

I'll look forward to the diorama.

Keep them coming! Pete

Cheers Pete, it was a fun little build, It should look in scale with the UFO once the base is finished.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, just a quick update. I made the base from a cake board, I part covered the wooded area in air drying clay and I skimmed the other half with car body filler. The trees are made from dead twigs.

I used woodland scenic foam bushes, ground effects and liquid PVA glue sprayed over them to lock them in place. I had bought a rotating LED light circuit a few years back, the UFO ship will be epoxied over the lights to give a slow pulsating effect.

The final reveal and video will be posted very soon.

KBLkHKp.jpg
40vPm3j.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Uncle Monty said:

This is looking really good now Lee, top stuff. Your work on the mobile is excellent and the diorama looks very cool.

Thanks, the completed dio will be posted very soon.It's been pictured in my head for years, finally been able to turn it into reality.

• Like 1

On 03/04/2022 at 11:30, Lee Chambers said:

Thanks, the completed dio will be posted very soon.It's been pictured in my head for years, finally been able to turn it into reality.

I get a lot of that :)

Now that I have more spare time I'm finally able to turn some of my ideas into actual models.

5 minutes ago, Uncle Monty said:

I get a lot of that :)

Now that I have more spare time I'm finally able to turn some of my ideas into actual models.

Good to know it's not just me who builds the model in his head before starting the project.😏👍

• Like 1