Mike N's Nimrod AEW3 - the ugly variant! *FINISHED*

Mike N

Looking good, for something that fell out of the ugly tree, hitting every branch on the way down! It certainly doesn't have the beauty of the Comet but is still appealing for some reason, I hope you'll take a photo next to your Comet prototype when it's finished, if nothing else the size difference will be impressive.

I'm surprised at how many pinholes you had in the resin, mine didn't have any that I remember.

Steve

• Like 1

On 05/04/2022 at 19:32, Mike N said:

As the weather forecast is looking a bit dodgy in the coming days, I made an effort to get some primer on tonight, in between the gusts of wind.

Here's the Nimrod prepped for it's makeover:

IMG_20220405_182441_HDR

I didn't have to bend the coat hanger, I just showed it the AEW and it curled itself back in revulsion :P

Warming the can before spraying. I'd previously hit upon the idea of using an old pop bottle for this rather than a washing up bowl, much less hot water needed, especially in these expensive times.

IMG_20220405_182413_HDR

First up were the control surfaces to check the paint was spraying OK. A whole load of pin holes revealed themselves...

IMG_20220405_191051_HDR

Then the main event. As can be imagined it took several blasts to cover it all.

IMG_20220405_190424_HDR

I'm not claiming it looks any prettier in white, but perhaps somewhat appropriate... 🐘

Mike 

Looking perfectly ugly! can't wait to see some colour on it

• Like 2

Yes, it's looking, um, beautiful! Excellent job on the conversion! I didn't realise there was one available. Not that I would probably build it, as once finished, the nearby models would fly off the shelf in disgust/fear.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

Cheers for the comments, chaps!

Not a huge amount of progress worthy of photos recently. I had to fill dozens of pin holes in the tailplanes as well as the rudder and elevators, plus blending in the windscreen took a couple of attempts before I accepted what I ended up with. All of these required a shot of primer, rubbing down, etc. In fact, I've got entirely through one of those 500ml cans I bought recently...

After that, I gave the necessary areas a couple of coats of Halfords Appliance White, again straight from the can. I'd forgotten how good that stuff is, a really nice hard finish.

And here's how she is now, masked ready for the Light Aircraft Grey to be airbrushed on. It'll take a couple of sessions at least, due to the area needing to be covered and the difficulty of manoeuvring it in my spray booth.

IMG_20220420_213725_HDR

It'll be another week or so to get that done due to real life stuff, but once it is, it's only the radomes and a few minor details to do and then it's decalling time :)

Mike 

• Like 16

On 4/23/2022 at 8:37 PM, Adam Poultney said:

Ew, isn't it hideous! Great work! Halfords Appliance Gloss White really is the best until you make a mistake with it and have to strip it off the model. Keep the updates coming!

I have searched online for Halfords Appliance White a few times over the last year and cannot find it advertised on their website - does anybody know if they have stopped doing it? I would pop down to my local shop and have a look, had they not closed it, making it a 20 mile round trip when it was less than 1 mile before!

Pete

2 minutes ago, PeterB said:

I have searched online for Halfords Appliance White a few times over the last year and cannot find it advertised on their website - does anybody know if they have stopped doing it? I would pop down to my local shop and have a look, had they not closed it, making it a 20 mile round trip when it was less than 1 mile before!

Pete

I got some not too long ago and it still looks like it's on the website https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-and-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-gloss-white-spray-paint-500ml-708784.html

Not only got the grey on, but also applied the decals:

IMG_20220502_205625_HDR IMG_20220502_205652_HDR

I used Model Alliance sheet 72176 for the codes and national markings, but these could just as easily have come from generic sheets. The instructions show the 'last two' of the serial on the fin, but unlike other AEW3s, I couldn't find any photos of XZ286 with these applied. I also used the same company's stencil sheet 729043, and good job I had two of them as this scheme sported two of the red emergency access (?) markings by the doors. Good quality photos showing the stencils applied are hard to find, so I based application on the scheme worn by the MR1s and applied the most obvious ones.

Next it'll get a coat of gloss to seal the decals. I might add some light weathering but photos suggest XZ286 was kept pretty clean - probably so it wouldn't sully its looks ;)

I'll probably do the radomes after that, followed by a coat of satin to bring everything together with an appropriate sheen. There are a few details to paint and add, so not quite there yet, but approaching the final straight!

Mike 

• Like 13

Nice job with the decals! She is really coming to life! It seems that the white top actually accentuates that massive proboscis, although I notice that the back end is still modestly hiding under the masking tape.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

A bit late in the day, but I have used the car primer paint sold in larger branches of the Range not to be bad, very similar to Halfords, smaller cans and was about the same price per 100ml. 

Your Nimrod is a cracking model BTW. I recall the real thing showing up at a Finningley airshow in about 1980-1. It looks just as ugly in the air. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments. I agree, there is no good angle for this beast, but I would have loved to have seen it fly - it was presumably repelled by the ground. Those two big radomes have been handy for holding the model, almost like a rolling pin with wings.

Not a lot of progress to report since last time. There's some gloss varnish over the decals and I'll hopefully get the radomes painted tomorrow. I'm also working on the undercarriage and the odds and sods that always add a surprising amount of time to the end of a build. Not too much more work though I hope!

Mike 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

All done!

IMG_20220528_171652_HDR

I'd struggled to get time to do the last few bits, but there was nothing too taxing really.

IMG_20220528_172033

I studied photos of this particular airframe to get the appropriate aerial fit, most of which came from the kit (usually in modified form).

IMG_20220528_171750_HDR

This aircraft also carried a striped probe on the tip of the starboard wing pod, which I think was red and white but is difficult to tell from photos.

IMG_20220528_172132_HDR

I don't have a 'normal' Nimrod to contrast this monstrosity to, but even more striking is posing it next to the prototype Comet.

IMG_20220528_173225_HDR

Beauty and the beast (in reverse order!)

IMG_20220528_173347

(Sorry @BritJet, I still need to add the upper wing serial!)

Now I've just got to find a space for it on the shelf...

Thanks for looking and for all the comments along the way.

Mike 

• Like 21

• Mike N changed the title to Mike N's Nimrod AEW3 - the ugly variant! *FINISHED*

Gorgeous, the prototype Comet's not too bad looking either! 

1 hour ago, Mike N said:

(Sorry @BritJet, I still need to add the upper wing serial!)

You can't rush these things....

Steve

• Haha 1

No doubt it's mother would still love it.

Curious whether it would have been as effective an operational platform as the Sentry if the "boffins" had been able to resolve its development issues.

• Like 2

An excellent model and a very well documented build.

The comparison the the MK1 gives a great impression of the airframes development.

Well done!

• Thanks 1