The An-225 Mriya Destroyed

thepureness

There does seem to be a large amount of the rear of the fuselage that could be salvaged, but in the middle of a warzone, very unlikely.

Its such a symbolic aircraft.

I also have to give thoughts to the people of Ukraine. Please stay strong

• Like 1

A tremendous loss of what would have been a very valuable asset for evacuating large numbers of people or bringing in large amounts of supplies in one go.

I remember walking around inside it at an airshow in my native Canada many years ago, the immensity of it was mind blowing.

When I see people say things like: "It was just a machine, lives are more important" all I can think is about how many ways this aircraft could be connected to saving lives and what's been lost in that regard because of its destruction.

Edited by upnorth
  • Like 3

It's sad but it is only a machine, (whoops, just noticed the post above) impressive though it was. And there are lots of large aircraft more suitable for moving people, the loss of cargo capacity is another matter but loads will have to be broken down to fit what's available. And this one, oddball machine was only available thanks to the abortive Soviet shuttle program, it just happened to find a second life otherwise it would be in a Russian aircraft museum.

A few phone pictures I took in 2018 when she visited Brize Norton to move some outsize cargo to hot and dusty locations.

spacer.png

spacer.png

S0KHzON.jpg

CVayt9Y.jpg

I was only able to view the take off from the office window so too far away for any decent pictures but it was a sight not to be forgotten.

Dave

Edited by Coors54
Additional script
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

There's a report in the i that the director of Antonov has been dismissed for not evacuating the An-225 quickly enough.  Apparently a lot of their stock was flown out to Germany in time, but not the big one.  Some odd talk about it being because he was in league with Russia - though how that would explain destroying one of your company's most useful assets is a bit beyond me.

11 minutes ago, pigsty said:

There's a report in the i that the director of Antonov has been dismissed for not evacuating the An-225 quickly enough.  Apparently a lot of their stock was flown out to Germany in time, but not the big one.  Some odd talk about it being because he was in league with Russia - though how that would explain destroying one of your company's most useful assets is a bit beyond me.

The Internet is awash with Putin's desinformation.

Be careful of what you read - it might not be factual.

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 1

I would agree with Moggy only my view is that ALL world news has a slant on it, some extra spin in it because we live in the digital and internet age where 'everyone' has a view of what's going on in the world but not everyones news will be completely accurate. And then we have social media which is never intent on being left out of it!:hmmm:

14 hours ago, pigsty said:

Apparently a lot of their stock was flown out to Germany in time, but not the big one. 

Seems everyone's already forgotten the earlier reports the 225 was down for maintenance with a broken engine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

I would agree with Moggy only my view is that ALL world news has a slant on it, some extra spin in it because we live in the digital and internet age where 'everyone' has a view of what's going on in the world but not everyones news will be completely accurate. And then we have social media which is never intent on being left out of it!:hmmm:

There's a big difference between slant and desinformation.

A view / opinion is not reporting - it's just that: opinion.

Certain sources have consistently lied just about everything they ever "reported"; source checking has always been important - today (in the age of false news) is imperative.

The "news" you get from social media are never to be trusted - at least before you can trace the source to a trustworthy one.

"My friend Joe from Facebook" is not a trustworthy source - unless he can back up his allegations with a reliable source you can fact-check.

Fact-checking and transparency in journalism are paramount. People that claim to have a "secret source" on the internet are at best conspiration theorists, at worst willing distributors of desinformation.

Come to think of it - it is difficult to separate the categories above 😆

Cheers, Moggy (uni studies: political sciences, international relations, information techniques, history)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If it's any help, chaps, I didn't say I believed it; seems I should have made my own scepticism a bit more obvious.  Anyway, just giving an update - based on an actual newspaper, not some bloke on Farcebook, though I know that doesn't make it much better - on what the latest allegations are around the An-225.