The An-225 Mriya Destroyed

thepureness

It does look like it was destroyed - eventually. It had performed a flight to and from Malaysia but had developed a technical fault when it returned. That is why it wasn't flown out.

I doubt if a replacement Mirya will be built. After all, the airframe was over 30 years old. I had the privilege to see it flying at the 1990 Farnborough Air Show. At that time it still carried its original Soviet registration - SSSR - 82060

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

A sad loss to the aviation world but, I believe it likely that, in time,  a similar type might appear.

Meanwhile, I can at least content myself with the knowledge that I have seen and photographed the 225 and, I have the Revell kit which I have now removed from the stash! 😊

Having seen some video of the large open hangar at Antonov Airport burning, I think it is confirmed the Mriya has gone - for now. Impressed that even with all the many worries and stresses of the moment, President Zelenskiy mentioned it in one of his videos and implied it would return one day. It is something of a symbol, given its name. 

My wife built the Revell kit of the Mriya when it first came out ; impressive even as a 1/144 model - a great and quite challenging build she found - enjoy it Beermonster !

John B

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Remember too that the second (incomplete) machine had recently received some interest from prospective customers. Let's hope that it has survived, even if its sister didn't...

I've read that due to phasing out a lot of big four engine passengers (A 380, B 747) due to economical reasons in pandemy times they will likely be converted to transport machines and there is no need for even short production of Mrija, what was discussed before. However it may change... I hope this will be the pulse for a production of a couple of Mrijas after the war...

Regards

J-W

9 hours ago, junglierating said:

Surely a little project for you 1710 guys.........oh no rotary only ....what is the fixed wing equivalent these days 🤔 

71 Inspection and Repair Sqn RAF for fixed wing repairs.

• Like 1

According to some sources, the costs of building a new one would be prohibitive, especially in the post-pandemic air transport market conditions and with a view to several four engined airliners having been converted, as mentioned in an earlier post. So it is very likely that a piece of aviation history has been lost forever. That said, there were and still are worse sacrifices to mourn there...

• Like 1

Here is photo done after attack

https://www.airlive.net/breaking-new-satellite-image-of-gostomel-airport-shows-the-tail-of-the-antonov-an-225-mryia-is-intact/

Tail of Mrija is seen as well as destroyed part of hangar above her nose (this suggest destroyed front part of machine). 

The An-22 stands there and looks OK (so far...)

Regards

J-W

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2022 at 2:03 AM, Eric Mc said:

It does look like it was destroyed - eventually. It had performed a flight to and from Malaysia but had developed a technical fault when it returned. That is why it wasn't flown out.

I doubt if a replacement Mirya will be built. After all, the airframe was over 30 years old. I had the privilege to see it flying at the 1990 Farnborough Air Show. At that time it still carried its original Soviet registration - SSSR - 82060

That same year I saw it at Aerospace America in Oklahoma City. The word “awesome” is overused these days, but it certainly applied to that aircraft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazontipede said:

maybe she still stands, but she's a big tube of thin aluminium next to an explosion... That doesn't bode well. The front end is very likely to be severely damaged.

I suspect if we ever see the 225 flying again it will either be the second unfinished airframe brought to completion, or a composite of parts of both airframes. 

• Like 1

I'm sad to say it looks like she's gone

I'm unable to link the video but a new video emerged showing it nearby, on fire and in bits.

I'll link it when I'm able to

Edit:

Found it.

https://twitter.com/saint_rebel/status/1499353258950897664?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1499353258950897664|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.heraldscotland.com%2Fnews%2F19966580.anotov-an-225-mriya-new-footage-appears-show-wreckage-worlds-largest-plane%2F

Edited by KingTiger435
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

She's well and truly gone.... I doubt that can be salvaged. 

On the more optimistic side, we might finally see the second airframe completed in a few years.

Very unlikely. This "series of unfortunate events" (politicially neutral as per forum rules) is going to cost Ukraine trillions of dollars to recover from, probably for well over a generation to come. Entire cities have been wiped out. Infrastructure across the country is gone. Road and rail lines destroyed. Even power plants are being attacked.

The idea of spending copious amounts to even just create the facilities to build a big fancy transport plane any time in the foreseeable future is simply impossible.

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Very unlikely. This "series of unfortunate events" (politicially neutral as per forum rules) is going to cost Ukraine trillions of dollars to recover from, probably for well over a generation to come. Entire cities have been wiped out. Infrastructure across the country is gone. Road and rail lines destroyed. Even power plants are being attacked.

The idea of spending copious amounts to even just create the facilities to build a big fancy transport plane any time in the foreseeable future is simply impossible.

If it happens it will be on foreign investment. There was previously a number of times when other countries were interested in the second one, but ultimately that of course came to nothing. Without the first airframe to cover the demand for carrying cargo only it could carry, it would make more sense to proceed now with the second. 
Ukraine have stated it will be rebuilt in five years, at Russian expense, but sadly this is probably just politics. But you never know…. The US got to the moon on politics….. and a lot of very hard work by the engineers behind it

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

if conflict ends in some favor of Ukraine.... this cries for a kind of Marshal plan.....

everything is possible then!

• Like 2

I’ve just watched clear video on the ABC Network from Ukraine of the 225 in pieces. You can see enough of the nose to read the name of it, and it is literally ripped apart. There’s no way they could fix that, although some parts could possibly be used to compete the other. 

sad. :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There have been pictures on Facebook today. Tip of the nose intact, cockpit to wing leading edge burned away. Starboard wing spar broken or burned through as that wing is lying at about half the height of the fuselage, rather than the shoulder position.

• Mike changed the title to The An-225 Mriya Destroyed
23 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

There have been pictures on Facebook today. Tip of the nose intact, cockpit to wing leading edge burned away. Starboard wing spar broken or burned through as that wing is lying at about half the height of the fuselage, rather than the shoulder position.

So sad.  I've taken the question mark off the topic title now it's confirmed. :(