The An-225 Mriya Destroyed

thepureness

I've just seen on the news that the An-225 has just been destroyed.

Keeping politics and everything out, that is a another sad this to see. The aircraft was a masterpiece of modern aviation  

Please keep any comments about the aircraft only

Edited by thepureness
  • Like 1
  • Sad 8

• thepureness changed the title to The An-225 Mriya Destroyed

Very sad, a huge loss in aviation. I believe the second incomplete one is at the same airfield so there is little chance that will be completed as a result.

The Myria will need replacing. Its unique role is important and needs filling. Hopefully another aircraft will be built to take that role

• Like 1

That's such a shame. :( A loss to the world as a modern wonder, as well as to aviation and the shipping world.  I believe there was another airframe that wasn't yet completed that they were planning on bringing to readiness to assist the other one, so maybe, just maybe we can again see the Mrija in the sky again.  I hope so.

Remember folks - no politics!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Last described as 'whole'.

It would have been a sensible action to get such a huge asset out of dodge before things got physical.  Although things did get bad pretty quickly, they had some clue of what could happen for a few days, just couldn't believe it would actually come to pass.

Whichever option turns out to be the truth, I hope everyone's OK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

This news is several days old and contradicted by one of its crew who posts to Faceyface or Twittles. Last described as 'whole'.

Yes, apparently the airline operator of their Facebook page said it's still intact.

14 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

This news is several days old and contradicted by one of its crew who posts to Faceyface or Twittles. Last described as 'whole'.

Don’t think so, photo online this afternoon shows hanger destroyed and large burning hulk within.

https://www.airlive.net/breaking-the-worlds-biggest-aircraft-antonov-an-225-mriya-has-been-destroyed-during-attack-in-ukraine/

• Like 1

Yes - Could be that the report was due to the understandable confusion (etc!).   Quite a few large Antonov aircraft are routinely sitting on the hardstandings outside there, so it is possible that something else got clobbered. 

Fingers crossed for everyone there - I have some friends there, as many of us no doubt have. 

Conflicting info is common in war, and it's so hard to make out anything meaningful from that image, even with my glasses on. :nerd:  The optimist in me hopes that it's ok though :)

• Mike changed the title to The An-225 Mriya Destroyed?

I've deduped the topics.  Can people also look before they post up new ones please?  Doesn't take long :shrug:

Also, I've added a question mark to the topic title, as it's not 100% certain, even if a Ukrainian source says so, as they might be trying to throw the opposition off the scent.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Don’t think so, photo online this afternoon shows hanger destroyed and large burning hulk within.

https://www.airlive.net/breaking-the-worlds-biggest-aircraft-antonov-an-225-mriya-has-been-destroyed-during-attack-in-ukraine/

"The Antonov company said the An-225 was still intact 2 days ago, in February 25th 2022, after the first Russian attack."

Indeed a great shame but I'm sure worse things are occurring :(

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

Quite a few large Antonov aircraft are routinely sitting on the hardstandings outside there, so it is possible that something else got clobbered. 

Two ADB An-124s were known to be at the Antonov airfield near Kiev, along with the operator’s sole An-225 and An-22. The other ADB An-124s are out of the country at present. ADB also fly an An-12 and an An-74, and their status is not clear.

9 minutes ago, Robertone139 said:

Was (or is) the 225 used in civilian transport (for hire) duties?

Yes, it has been dedicated to civilian airlift, albeit that demand for its outsize and weight lifting capabilities are fairly rare. 

59 minutes ago, Skymonster said:

Yes, it has been dedicated to civilian airlift, albeit that demand for its outsize and weight lifting capabilities are fairly rare. 

Well actually it used to regularly rock up at Kandahar so read in to that as you wish.

Hoping it is still in tact.More to the point lets hope this craziness stops now 🙏 

• Like 2

On evening of 17. Nov. 2021 me, my son and a friend we made a trip from Kraków to Rzeszów (~140 km) to see landing of Mrija on that airport... She landed 23.10 

The quality of photos is poor due to complete darkness, but it was a unique spectacle: 

51907905978_5558daf471_b.jpg

51906841497_2d154587ea_b.jpg

51907906123_bdfa3fb94f_b.jpg

51906841767_0614e03067_b.jpg

It was dark, almost midnight, but there was a huge crowd (~1000 people?) at the end of runway standing by the fence... It will never happened again... :(

Regarding what happened now - there was time to evacuate her before war started, it is likely a great mistake, that it was not done,,,

Regards

J-W

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Or simply because it was there and a big target.  No need to add any other significance.

A TARGET?  how can you be so casual about this, so blasie :(

Of course there is more significance, it was one of the wonders of modern aviation world, no need to destroy it, even if the Russians win, it could have been their asset.

This magnificent Aircraft did so much good around the world, humanitarian stuff too, it was not a military aircraft ... I just don't get people at times, extremely upset about this :(

BM please close this thread, cant read beyond this guys casual comment :(

UPSET DEEPLY here :(

Edited by One 48

2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I think some perspective is required here: the An-225 - iconic and beautiful as it was - was just a piece of machinery. Meanwhile people are dying in the Ukraine and a sovereign nation is being invaded right on our doorstep. 

You are right of course, Human tragedy in all this is much more important, been upset and protesting elsewhere about this whole mess, of course ... I'm a deeply passionate person and value Human life the most, but we all have a breaking point and seeing this aircraft needlessly destroyed was mine as an Aviation enthusiast ... Just why, what was the point of that wanton destruction on top of the humanity loss?

Quite apart from this futile war and human deaths I just feel so helpless, nobody with a sane mind wanted this and the An-225's destruction just shows how little the aggressors in this value nothing, not even innocent human lifes :(

I'm sorry, this all still upsets me immensely, I just can not be a neutral clinically cold observer about this stupid war in any shape or fashion at all.

Sorry if I've upset some folk, but this stuff pains me to the core :(

• Like 3