Meng Warrior TES(H) 1/35

Hi Folks, Tim, who I made the kit for, has urged me to show the finished article.  WIP is here.

It was a lovely kit and virtually fell together.  Only slight snags were the tracks, which took me a while to get to grips with and visible pin marks, which I expect better from Meng.

y4m7XlVoexszgSoF32nzGCOHylF1XXLnWhhadald

y4mdPiMDPopJjf1Zs8CuraKKWQAlngc5AublsJJC

y4mrpZa6RUvmOSHQmieKg6S6jd3SlBLiOLPGSzkn

y4mpw-4sXZWZkwRthX1Dl24sYzuijguqQiER5xti

y4mVEbSfBnp1ksEDYKsuPKpi_PdJHfhlEAKcSsEB

y4m1xDImyZMzGG3hOHQiWyi_H2249cXAuFYWsIOQ

y4mGJYqe3N5CR_1vn8xNV1QODEtqBpGtBJBvYoPm

The paint is Mig warm sand yellow, with a couple of drops of brown to knock it back as it was too bright.  I did pre-shade, although you can't tell it now.  I used Mig anti-slip paste for the first time, which seems to have worked once it is under paint and varnish.  Weathering is Mig light dusk pigment.  If you think I've overdone it I really haven't.  Helmend is covered in sh*tty fine grey dust, which got everywhere.  You could walk out of your bunk and after 100m you'll be grey from the knees down.

You cannot make a bog-standard 510 from this kit without major scratch building, however, the kit hints that Meng may release other versions.  A kit-bash between this and the Academy kit would be a cracker.

• Like 30

11 hours ago, neilspen said:

A fab job, nicely weathered. I feel your pain over the tracks, they were the worst part of the kit for me. 

Thanks. Once I got the hang of the tracks they were solid but those pins were a pain.  A couple of times I had to just use wire instead.

• 1 month later...

Great job on the Warrior.

You mentioned the idea of an Academy / Meng kit bash. I picked up both kits with plans to do just that... the end goal being an Irish Guards Warrior in Kosovo, June 1999.

I was planning on using the Meng hull, basic turret, running gear, and common details, then adding whatever is necessary from the Academy kit for the sake of back dating - Chobham armour, stowage bins, antenna mounts etc.

I am curious if you have any thoughts on that? I am hoping that the core Meng parts are universal, but fearing whether or not certain dimensional or detail differences will derail things ?

Thanks,

Mark 

• 1 month later...
On 11/04/2022 at 20:27, mstares said:

Great job on the Warrior.

You mentioned the idea of an Academy / Meng kit bash. I picked up both kits with plans to do just that... the end goal being an Irish Guards Warrior in Kosovo, June 1999.

I was planning on using the Meng hull, basic turret, running gear, and common details, then adding whatever is necessary from the Academy kit for the sake of back dating - Chobham armour, stowage bins, antenna mounts etc.

I am curious if you have any thoughts on that? I am hoping that the core Meng parts are universal, but fearing whether or not certain dimensional or detail differences will derail things ?

Thanks,

Mark 

Mark, sorry, I've not been on here in a while so didn't see your post.  You've got the same idea I had.  The Meng is a lot better in most areas but the Academy will be needed for the likes of the turret basket and bins.  The Eduard etch would be of use for some details. For instance the basket lining as the mesh supplied by Academy is naff and the etch looks better.