HMS Kelly- A Britmodeller Hattrick

GRK

Hi all

I'd like to claim and evidence my Britmodeller hattrick by posting my first ship to compliment my aircraft and armour models! Being from clan Kelly I thought it would be most suitable to choose Flyhawk's 1/700 H.M.S Kelly as my choice for first ship. 

I'd read that the detail in the Flyhawk's kits was superb and i wasn't disappointed, however I don't think I'd considered quite how small a 1/700 destroyer kit would be 🧐. I'm in my mid thirties and thankfully still have good vision but I think if I'm going to do more of these in the future I need to get myself one of those optimiser thingies!!! I definitely told my partner that if I ever talk about doing another ship please give me a good, sharp shake but now that its done and one its base I'm already wondering what my next ship will be...

I need to be more careful on my superglue application and the riggings a bit of a mess (some due to the fact that I'd got it all done and then snapped off the rear flagpole and had to start all over again) but all things i'll try to improve on next time. I think I've also elevated the front guns further than they should go but i wanted them looking like they were at least trying to fend off the Stukas. 

What i really enjoyed doing was the seascape. Basic technique was make the wave shapes with clay, paint various shades of blue, gloss with acrylic gloss gel, add cotton wool, paint squiggles and then more gloss gel to finish. For the explosions i made a basic wire frame and then glued and smudged cotton wool with more gloss gel to the frame and then just touched the highlights with white paint.

Right, let me see if I can transport you to 1941 off Crete:

kelly (7 of 1)

kelly (6 of 1)

kelly (1 of 7)

kelly (3 of 7)

kelly (4 of 7)

kelly (5 of 7)

kelly (6 of 7)

kelly (7 of 7)

Thanks for looking and any tips for the next build more than welcome!

Graeme

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

Very nice, very nice indeed. I think the rigging is superb (can't tell that the ol' stray hand demolished it midway through) and the general detail is gorgeous, but I can see why you enjoyed creating that sea - it's come out particularly well.

I recommend a rest and cucumber slices for the eyeballs!

David

• Thanks 1

Thanks @beefy66, @ArnoldAmbrose and @Adm Lord De Univers for the kind words, glad you liked it. Rest assured my eyes are resting now by starting on an Eduard Spit VC 1/48 but I'm sure I'll be returning to ships again!!! In fact I have @Adm Lord De Univers to blame for entering into this murky world on the high seas by recommending I try a ship before trying to re-condition my great grandfathers model of HMS Westminster, so thanks for the good advice David, it made a nice change and the seascape WAS great fun

• Like 2

Um, well, ah, um.
I’m kinda lost for words here. 

That really is the dogs dangly bits, and that’s just the ship.

As for the seascape, well...............

Nuff said.

Sup....bloody....perb.
Jon

• Thanks 1

Superb job all round Graeme an action packed scene too.Built just up the road from me in Hebburn and repaired three times at the yard that

built her some of her crew lie in the local cemetery.

http://northumbriangunner.blogspot.com/2021/04/hebburn-hms-kelly-memorial.html

• Thanks 1