1:32nd scale Phantom FGR.2 conversion from Tamiya F-4J

Good morning all,

I thought I'd share a recent model of mine that I've been working on for a while - a conversion of the Tamiya 1:32nd scale F-4J to a UK version with RR Speys. It's a conversion I have long wanted to do, and when I sourced a set of 3D printed Spey cans along with a decal set from Cutting Edge, I was good to go!

The conversion is quite involved, and includes widening the intakes as well as dropping the back end a little to accommodate the larger Spey afterburners. I took a couple of pictures of the process when widening the front, but didn't get around to photographing the back end unfortunately!

51907016583_7f5d402531_b.jpg

51905955482_888a55eab4_b.jpg

There was also the small doors on the rear fuselage to add, as moving the auxiliary doors on the lower fuselage forward. I also had to source some after market ejection seats the Brit Phantoms used a different seat to the US examples. 

And here's the finished model, painted as an FGR.2 of 41 Squadron based at RAF Conningsby in the early 1970s:

DSC_0079

DSC_0067

DSC_0077

DSC_0075

DSC_0072

DSC_0070

DSC_0065

I'm really pleased with how the conversion went and it's nice to now have a very rare model (in this scale!) in my collection.

Best regards,

Rob

Edited by Rob Probert
  • Like 48
  • Confused 1

• Rob Probert changed the title to 1:32nd scale Phantom FGR.2 conversion from Tamiya F-4J
1 hour ago, 29Triplex said:

Rob,

You've done a phantastic job on this conversion - a real beauty. :worthy:

However, XV495 was actually an FGR2 - which would be correct for a 41 sqn kite - as they never flew the FG1.

Just a suggestion - change the title of your post to Phantom FGR2 conversion?

Thank you - title and text duly corrected! :doh:

Rob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed this the first time round Rob. Really well done, looks fantastic as an RAF machine.

Looks like you went a similar road to @HL-10 in creating the shape changes, seeing your results does make an FGR from an F-4J a realistic possibility 🤔

(Just don't look at @Anthony in NZ's build, you'll just run away screaming at the thought of trying to emulate it 😂😂😂)

All the best,

Alan

• Haha 1