Jump to content

RNLI Severn Class Lifeboat (Airfix 1:72)


wimbledon99
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

 

This will be my build. I had originally planned a Lancaster but that's entered in the Bomber GB so I had an excuse for this one :wink:

 

She's all washed and ready for the 5th!! :waiting:

 

0395V4%5D

 

 

6bfT9k%5D

 

 

Uj1T4D%5D

 

 

o3v6Y0%5D

 

 

U7Xa7E%5D

 

 

65ZYby%5D

 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't worry, I was only semi serious as the colour orange brings back memories - you may not have seen the Frog "Rita" Pat built  almost 3 years ago but "Orange" created quite an argument about the exact shade - it also may be one of those colours (red, yellow etc) that take a bit of work to cover the plastic - I seem to remember pink primer being suggested somewhere. As a matter of interest what do Airfix suggest using - Hu 18 perhaps? Some of that parts such as the handrails look a bit fragile but then they seem closer to the actual scale size than on a lot of kits I have seen!

 

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, CliffB said:

What an interesting choice :popcorn:

 

Thanks Cliff. I saw it in the 'For Sale' section (thanks to @Chris Hewitt )last year and just had to have it! In addition, my nephew has recently joined the RNLI as a trainee lifeboatman (Penarth) so maybe it will have a home when complete. He's the lad I used to give a lot of my builds to though he's now he too 'big' for them. Maybe he'll have room for just one more :wink:

 

26 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Don't worry, I was only semi serious as the colour orange brings back memories - you may not have seen the Frog "Rita" Pat built  almost 3 years ago but "Orange" created quite an argument about the exact shade - it also may be one of those colours (red, yellow etc) that take a bit of work to cover the plastic - I seem to remember pink primer being suggested somewhere. As a matter of interest what do Airfix suggest using - Hu 18 perhaps? Some of that parts such as the handrails look a bit fragile but then they seem closer to the actual scale size than on a lot of kits I have seen!

 

Pete

 

Hi Pete, Yes, I see where you are coming from re. the colour. I'm going to go with a grey primer and lots of light coats of Tamiya x6 - time will tell!! 🤞

 

As for the handrails; one of the best tools I've ever purchased is a set of Dspiae cutters. I have a pair of Citadel for the 'heavy' cuts but the Dspaie have changed my outlook on removing delicate parts from sprues. Worth every penny!!!! 🤩 (That's me jinxed now :whistle: )

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a great kit and goes together really well. Not many of these seem to get built which is a shame.

You need to be VERY precise in the assembly of the inner frames for the super structure. Any misalignment will amplify and its a struggle then for the sides to fit. If it works well then you can paint the orange before assembly and not need any filler. This makes painting and fitting the windows etc a lot easier so well worth taking the time early in the build. I replaced the windows on mine as they were really badly moulded and impossible to see through!

I used Mr Colour 173 Rescue Orange over a white primer.

Good luck and I'll watch with interest.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info, Colin. I made a start on the hull at the weekend and this is what I have as a result. No need for any filler at present (that's it now jinxed!!!!)

 

c93kar%5D

 

 

rmvL7i%5D

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks great so far, I'm hoping to do one of these at some point so I'll be following along :) I was lucky enough to get a joyride in the real thing a few years back, seriously impressive boats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I look forward to seeing you build this. I have built a couple over the years and am hoping to start another one later on this year.

 

BTW, in 2007 I wrote to Paul Davis, Refit Manager of Green Marine, who build the lifeboats for the RNLI. He also advised Airfix on the paints used.

 

I had written to him to ask about the correct colour for the hull above and below the waterline. H15 Midnight Blue is fine for above the hull but he suggests a Cherry Red for below. This is for a boat with newly-painted anti-fouling but once it has been in the water for a while, then it turns pinkish. He did send me a couple of pictures showing both colours on the hull of a Mersey Class lifeboat (RNLB Royal Thames), although a different class to the Airfix kit, the colours still apply:


spacer.png

 

Picture001_500.jpg
Pictures copyright Green Marine and courtesy of Paul Davis

 

Another thing I asked about were the toe rails. These are the uprights that go around hull and onto which the guardrail stanchions are bolted onto.  I wanted to confirm with him that they were a light grey and not white and he has confirmed that they are indeed light grey and as you can see in the second photo. He also said that Humbrol H18 Gloss Orange was a perfect match for the superstructure.

 

Dave

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've dry-fitted the internal parts and they now appear fairly true. This build needs some careful planning and consideration else it looks like it could go Pete Tong rather quickly!!

 

I've seen some builds that make the top half removable so I'll have a bash at that and see what happens.

 

k0Z283%5D

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've managed to build the top half in order that it comes away but there are many parts that attach to the two halves (railings mainly) so it will continue to involve lots of planning!!

 

244654%5D

 

 

8366z9%5D

 

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quick update going into the weekend. What with some planned gardening and the first Grand Prix of the year, I'm not sure how much time I'll get to spend on this over the next 48 hours!

 

2G2gC3%5D

 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice paint job. 👍

 

One of my Lifeboat builds had a removable superstructure too. The only thing that can cause problems is that the cabin and deckhead and bulkead frames catch on each other. It is just a case of reducing the width of the cabin deckhead frames.  I also made a "what-if" Royal Navy patrol boat using the Lifeboat. That one had a removable bulkhead to reveal the interior:

 

Dave

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This was a kit that I had absolutely no interest in, being primarily an aircraft modeller. However, having followed your build so far, when I saw one in the RNLI shop today I had to have it! Britmodeller is bad for my bank account, but at least the proceeds went to a good cause :) 

 

Keep up the good work!

 

Mike

Edited by Mike N
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Definitely 🙂 

 

 

Very good paint job @wimbledon99!

Thanks Jeroen :happy: 

 

On 3/23/2022 at 9:57 PM, Mike N said:

This was a kit that I had absolutely no interest in, being primarily an aircraft modeller. However, having followed your build so far, when I saw one in the RNLI shop today I had to have it! Britmodeller is bad for my bank account, but at least the proceeds went to a good cause :) 

 

Keep up the good work!

 

Mike

Thanks Mike :smile: I totally agree re BM being a bad influence :wink:

 

On 3/23/2022 at 9:29 PM, Norman said:

Looking good !

Thank you Norman :smile:

 

On 3/23/2022 at 9:14 PM, davecov said:

Nice paint job. 👍

 

One of my Lifeboat builds had a removable superstructure too. The only thing that can cause problems is that the cabin and deckhead and bulkead frames catch on each other. It is just a case of reducing the width of the cabin deckhead frames.  I also made a "what-if" Royal Navy patrol boat using the Lifeboat. That one had a removable bulkhead to reveal the interior:

 

Dave

 

Thanks Dave :happy: I've realised it's your BM thread I took most info from. Very much appreciated :thanks:

 

However, I sooooooo like the removable bulkhead option - Bit late now though :whistle:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

It's slow going but still going. First bit of orange; just need to find some time away from work and gardening for more!!

 

2niSQW8%5D

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks good! Slowly but surely is also a way to get a model over the line...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...