Avro Vulcan B.2, Airfix 'new tooling' 1/72nd...

John Masters

I've been away from the bench for too long, too long...I have work to do my friends!  I will try to wrap up this Vulcan before the 1st.  If I can get this beast off th bench...phew!

Undercarriage ready for final assembly.  Some touch up here and there maybe.

52103716225_f93ca3edb5_c_d.jpg

The camo was making me nervous.  I must say I am impressed with the Tamiya NATO Green thinned out with Tamiya thinner.  No clogging, no spitting...nothing.  And it dried very fast too.  First I drew the camo areas with a pencil.  I followed the profile as well as I could.

52103242028_a320981bc5_c_d.jpg

Then the green.  After that I mixed up some more Medium Dark Sea Grey and did some touch ups.  There is a teensy bit of overspray on the underside and I haven't taken the masks off yet, but I think it looks alright.  I'll go back and sprite it here and there...Next round will be the black/white nose.  

52103242053_78d27b3c58_k_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2022 at 12:55 PM, Adam Poultney said:

Paintwork looks good,  nicely and correctly freehanded to get that soft edge. 

Thanks Adam.

Now that I'm back I think I will try my best to wrap this up by the 26th.  I don't have much to do, really.

Not much to do on this one so I'll make a big go of it and finish it this weekend.  I have to add the black on the nose; attach the landing gear; some painting touch-ups; decals...I think that's it.  I

l'll make it 'museum ready'. i.e. clean with no wear and tear, like a museum display.   I just want to get it done and off the bench and out of my mind.

Nose masked and ready...

52154157299_87416d70d9_z_d.jpg

This tape has been on for weeks.  Let's remove it.

52152907122_17d31a6349_z_d.jpg

Looking alright.  The masks on the clear bits will come off last.

52152907132_42cc84c57f_z_d.jpg

Landing gear, bay doors, etc...not a problem.

52153923273_0dcaa517f4_z_d.jpg

Sitting pretty.

52153916891_12865038c0_z_d.jpg

And from the other side with some atmospheric lighting...

52154157354_f85460fb73_z_d.jpg

Decals and done!

--John

• Like 7

Decals are on...Nice decals, btw...thin.  Not your usual Airfix skin...Not a very good diagram for the stencils.  I'm glad I have new reading glasses.  I had to match up the shape of the stencils on the drawing (very very very small) to the decal sheet.  I think I got them all.  Lots of little 'hoist' decals (they look like '2').  At least I think they are hoist markings.  

52172619010_d63c5b7398_c_d.jpg

52172145358_40b32409b1_h_d.jpg

Coffee...

52172143008_f8028a58ec_c_d.jpg

52171114392_89d52f6da6_c_d.jpg

52171114457_5499ba5d30_c_d.jpg

Light blue decals on wet light blue paper...

52171114447_0b02128f94_c_d.jpg

Hoist?

52172634550_b5a9584b1b_k_d.jpg

Topside...

52172136941_4aa2d9ec7f_c_d.jpg

I'll let the all dry then give it some matte spray, remove the masks...then tomorrow I'll photograph it and add it to the gallery.  Phew!

--John

• Like 4

Man...I was doing do well.  Late last night I took up my can of AK Clear Matte and went outside to give it a good spray.  After shaking the can for quite a while (as instructed) I gave it a good light cloud of spray over the topside.  To my utter horror I realized I had used the wrong can of paint.  White.  Since expletives are not allowed here I will allow you all to say your own versions of what I said. 😱 🤬  😭 I tried to remove the paint.  I used Tamiya thinner...other thinners.  I even used White Spirit (which almost seems to work).  

I'm afraid this is a goner folks.  Dammit.  I was so close.

52173692415_446d1f09df_c_d.jpg

I have not had good luck this summer with my builds.  😭

• Sad 7

That is a bummer! But I don't think it looks too bad. Looks like it's been sitting out in the sun or something. 

If I were you I'd just try weather it even further.

"We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents"

26 minutes ago, arfa1983 said:

If I were you I'd just try weather it even further.

That's an option.  Thank you for the boost of confidence.  

48 minutes ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Bad luck John

Gremlins switched the paint cans.

Maybe if I dirty it up a bit on the underside...don't use the nuke...make it the display aircraft in Newark before they tidied it up and put it in the museum...That's my rationale.  I have until July 10th.  I am also off-island for work this week until Thursday morning.  I would like to wrap up the Argentinian Mirage today and make more headway on the V22-Osprey.  Happy work to do.  And watch out for Gremlins. 😉

Thank you @arfa1983 for showing me a new route out of this mess.  

• Like 2

I've consulted with the Powers That Be (LHS fellows in Athens) and they say I cannot remove the lacquer spray without further damage to the existing paint. 

This is my solution:  I will mask the existing decals (which for some reason cleaned up alright) with matte spray.  Then I will carefully re-airbrush the grey and green areas the best I can.  I think I can do this.  Once that is finished, I will spray matte again to even out the surface.  

So not all is lost.  I'll get on it when I return to the island on Thursday, get this in the gallery and move along.

• Like 3

Just a review what the Vulcan looked like after the mis-spray...

52173692415_acb65320d2_k_d.jpg

And after the re-paint.  I still have to go around with some white and touch up the decals here and there, but I am very pleased.  Oh, btw...Gremlins tried to get in again but I kept them at bay.  Clever little demons...

52185508916_185a9668c3_k_d.jpg

The nose landing gear came loose so I have to fix that.  Otherwise, she's done and will be in the gallery bu this afternoon. I hope!

• Like 6

Good save John.

I did the same thing a few years back with a can of silver spray instead of grey, but fortunately I was only doing primer at the time so got away with it.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 12:22 AM, PeterB said:

Good save John.

I did the same thing a few years back with a can of silver spray instead of grey, but fortunately I was only doing primer at the time so got away with it.

Yes, well, that would have been better. As it is, I am not ashamed of how it turned out.  It was lucky that the AK primer didn't spray so heavily.  I lost a few decals along the way in the repair but I feel it is alright for this bunch.  Not museum quality, mind you, but that is not my goal.  It's just a hobby! 😄  

52189722047_bcb55d173c_c_d.jpg

More in the gallery!

Thanks to the Mods for this GB.  I really have been struggling--work and family responsibilities have sapped much of my creative energy, but that's ok.  It's good to have both and be a responsible person.  This build was plagued by gremlins from the start...

--John

• Like 5