Big and British - Welcome and Rules

Adam Poultney

Big and British Group Build 2022

Welcome and Rules

Welcome to the 2022 Big and British group build. This is the first group build that I am hosting so hopefully nothing goes too badly wrong. This originated as a failed second V Force group build (the original was years ago, long before I joined the forum). After a rebrand and relaunch for the next year's Bunfight, we have succeeded. I hope we will see a few of the V Force aircraft built, but with a wider subject range now I'm sure we'll see many more types. Thank you to all those who supported this in the Bunfight last November. 

Rules and guidance:

It does not matter if you build an aircraft, ship, tank, bus, lorry, car, etc... it's all allowed as long as it fits the criteria to be eligible. Where rules only talk about one, assume the others can be interchangeably substituted in.

Rule 1: size not scale

This group build focuses on the size of the real subject, not scale. A 1/200 Vulcan would be eligible but a 1/24 Spitfire would not.

Rule 2: size of your subject

I have chosen not to draw an absolute line on size as it is very subjective what could be considered "big", depending on era, purpose, and many other factors.

Guidance: medium bombers are plenty big enough to qualify. Please check the chat thread to see if your chosen subject has been discussed before asking, but it is down to the modeller's discretion if you can justify it.

Rule 3: British (and Northern Irish)

Aircraft designed in the UK are eligible. This includes Northern Ireland

Foreign designed and built aircraft in British markings are NOT eligible (eg BA 747)

Guidance:

Foreign derivatives of British aircraft are a grey area. For these, it is up to the modeller's discretion if they can justify it. This has been discussed on the chat thread so check that first.

Aircraft that qualify as British may be built in foreign markings (eg Canadian Lancaster)

Rule 4: What-Ifs

What-Ifs are allowed

Standard GB rules apply (25% rule, etc...)

• Like 1