RAF BAe146 CC3

jaw

I have just bought the newly released Welsh Models RAF BAe146 CC3 (XE708). Looking at the instruction sheet it says that the overall finish of this aircraft (apart from  the leading edge of the intakes) should be RAF grey. I am aware that there are RAF schemes on medium sea, RAF camo grey etc but have not heard of plain RAF grey. Can anybody advise what the correct finish is for this aircraft please?

Thanks,

John

Good evening. 

Not an Expert in this but I would probably go to FS37173 or the raf equivalent of FS26173 - Proud grey.

I have trolled my knowledge base and a friend who works at Marham has almost insisted it's the same as the C-17.

Hope this helps.

Regards Simon 

This site http://www.theworldwars.net/resources/resources.php?r=camo_usaf suggests that the C-17s are all painted with AMC grey (FS36173).  Pretty certain that almost all C-17 operators will have had theirs delivered in the same colour scheme, particularly the RAF as our first 4 were leased and came exactly the same as their USAF counterparts.

The CC3s, I believe, are painted in a gloss version of RAF camouflage grey (not sure if that’s dark or light though).

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 5:25 PM, Roland Pulfrew said:

This site http://www.theworldwars.net/resources/resources.php?r=camo_usaf suggests that the C-17s are all painted with AMC grey (FS36173).  Pretty certain that almost all C-17 operators will have had theirs delivered in the same colour scheme, particularly the RAF as our first 4 were leased and came exactly the same as their USAF counterparts.

The CC3s, I believe, are painted in a gloss version of RAF camouflage grey (not sure if that’s dark or light though).

Roland

The RAF C-17s were all delivered to the RAF in AMC grey (FS36173) but the MOD Manual  DAP119A does state that the C-17 finish is single colour matt Medium Sea Grey BS X 34 B LIR over an anti-static coat over BS X 33 B yellow epoxy primer. Although the manual does not include the grey painted BAE-146s (ZE707 and ZE708) ,I have no reason to believe they are in a different scheme.  

John - further to my last, I can confirm that the RAF 146s are definitely Medium Sea Grey, in a "semi matt" finish.  My source is impeccable!

On 07/03/2022 at 16:47, Dominic McEvoy said:

John,

I'm seeking a definitive answer for you from the horse's mouth.... 

• Like 1

Thanks Dominic - that good enough for me! I had always thought that they were MSG but thought I had better ask the question!

JOhn

On 3/3/2022 at 8:05 AM, Ivor Ramsden said:

They are Medium Sea Grey.

Ivor - thanks for this info. I do like your job description!

John

• Haha 1