Remember this?

This was the model I was doing last time I was here on the forum; Matchbox PB4Y-2. Privateer. 1/72 scale. I had fitted the decals to the model and was fitting the last one, the nose art and the decal disintegrated! The model stood for a few months before i was able to get decals for it; in the end I bought another Privateer, the Revell version of the exact same aircraft and used the decals from that on the one I had. None of the numbers and codes already on the model went with the new decals so I had to paint over them before I could continue.

After all I'd been through with this model I wasnt going to paint it all over again, and the trouble was that I had varnished over the other decals, so when I painted over them it came out a very slightly different shade! I decided to put the whole thing down to experience and carry on. The star and bars insignia was fine I didnt touch those, just the others. By this time I had changed from using that Humbrol Decalfix - to Decalset and Decalsol which I find far better, I also changed to using Klear before the decals and after when they were on and happy. I would wait a few hours for it to settle before using the mattcote, I now thin this down.

The changes look like a sort of front line weathering, on the model, I changed the lines of the colours from straight to nice wavy lines instead, looks far better. I decided to swallow my pride, and kept it as it was once it was finished; I was glad to be able to put it in the cabinet after a long time on the table. Only other decal trouble I had was with a B-26 Marauder but that's because the decals were old; I cleaned the remains off right away and let it settle while I ordered aftermarket ones.

So, here we are! enjoy! I came to rather like it.

284-E26-F5-C895-4-A4-B-B335-F1273045642-

4-AF1284-B-D0-B1-47-CF-81-BD-D44-B434-E9

83-F8-A922-199-B-4-ED2-8065-A16295-A9-BC

9-ED9-DBB4-0511-4-C78-A3-AA-62-E72-A76-B

BD1593-F4-54-AE-4-E7-B-8513-F54-ED03-B06

CBA1-DEDC-6-B8-D-4518-9-E7-F-E73969-D382

DBD3-F2-DF-E6-D4-4-D1-D-8265-D62-CC453-A

EB217-AF4-8646-4213-803-E-82875-E20-C0-F

• Like 42

11 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Great to see this beast back and done! 

👍

Thank you;

Yeah, it was a beast!🤣 I still have the other Privateer to make yet, don't know what version yet, was thinking recently about a US Navy transport version, no guns; I could then use the gun turrets on my Coronado (whenever I decide to do it- think I'll wait a while though).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neilspen said:

You must be pleased you persevered with it. It looks great. It is also nice to see something a bit different. Cheers Neil

Indeed I am pleased, after all I’d been through with it, I was determined to have it on show, it had sat around unfinished for long enough, the Revell decals came with stencilling too so it was like a monster decal session of over 40 decals, not including the stars and bars! But I learned a lesson from it; don’t varnish over any decals until they are ALL fitted on the model and happy!

thanks for your reply. Mark.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your kind words! I felt kinda guilty for a while about this model, being the one that broke the camels back (not that I have a hump!🤣), but I was glad to finish it and then steadily grew to like it more; it was a valuable stepping stone for other larger models, of which I havent been afraid to tackle since then, any bother with others now tends to be bother that I made myself in embellishing my models with extras, but they are always worth it, not always pretty to look at during construction but once the paint goes on it hides any ugliness! I did wonder about putting it on but in the end I felt that I was well over it, I wasnt ashamed of it; rather proud of it in fact; felt it should be shared and it finishes the story of the Privateer build. 👍

You've done a great job on it and if you hadn't explained the decal difficulties we would all have thought you'd done a fantastic job on replicating a field repaired paint job as you said so we'll go with that.

Good to see you back and in a 'better place' within yourself too (if I'm not being too personal in saying so?).

Duncan B

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

You've done a great job on it and if you hadn't explained the decal difficulties we would all have thought you'd done a fantastic job on replicating a field repaired paint job as you said so we'll go with that.

Good to see you back and in a 'better place' within yourself too (if I'm not being too personal in saying so?).

Duncan B

Thank you Duncan, I appreciate that; I was kinda lost after leaving here, orphaned, if you like, I did try other places but just didnt work out; not the same as Bm, I had REALLY lost out there. This time in the 'wilderness' helped me to see that, and to be able to sort myself out; though it would have been better to stay in, I dont think my recovery would have been easy on everyone here, so I guess it was kinda necessary in the end. I am delighted to be able to come back and I am here for keeps this time. I have learned much about myself, strengths, weaknesses, and when to call it a day and come back tomorrow. Mike made a good point when I was returning that I was far too hard on myself and that its just a model; that's right. I was very hard on myself, now I'm alot more forgiving, I appreciate what it took to get so far and am better able to move on, take a breath etc. When I'm getting wound up by something online I let it go over the top (Whoosh!) or I just come away for a bit. Same with models, I learned ti just put it down and put lids on and come away, come back tomorrow or whenever I was able to learn and move on. This has been a powerful lesson for me, tough going, but I did it. I'm proud of what I have achieved both in modelling and in myself. I was really given a BIG boost when I was allowed to come back here and move along and this post was a necessary step forward.

Thanks Duncan. Mark.

• Like 3

You did good with that, it looks the part pretty well I reckon, a weather beaten warrior.

I forget what paint you were using, but if it's well cured enamels, you can often strip a crook decal off with cellotape, don't press too hard to begin with. Acrylics, nah, I wouldn't bother. ;)

Steve.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

You did good with that, it looks the part pretty well I reckon, a weather beaten warrior.

I forget what paint you were using, but if it's well cured enamels, you can often strip a crook decal off with cellotape, don't press too hard to begin with. Acrylics, nah, I wouldn't bother. ;)

Steve.

Ah, never thought of that! Thanks! I tend to use lots of water but if I've already coated the decal with Decalsol it might be rather 'hardened' on. Its all learning isn't it? Cheers.👍

• Like 1

Thank you Andy, the Privateer wasnt as well known as say the B-29, but since I like the B-24, I liked the look of this right away, I think there is at least ONE flying example left in the world now. It was reconfigured, the waist gun blisters are gone, the turrets and the engines have been replaced with engines from B-25's; I guess they'll do, the aircraft isn't carrying any load really and engines for the B-25s are probably easier to get than the original engines.

Yes, I've had the decals go toes up a few times, but I'm learning that they can be a bit fickle, I think the last one (previous to the P-70 recently) was my b-26 Marauder but that was because I was using all the wrong things; I was told to use acrylic varnish but I didnt know it couldn't be used on enamel paint! I'd used it to put on before the decals and it looked like a frost patch! The decals for it werent any good anyway so I ordered after market ones; I'll display it on the forum in due course, thanks for your comments.😀

• Thanks 1

Yes, I agree that you have come up with a cracker with this one. I know it gave you trouble in the past but you did a good job getting back to it.

I am glad you are back, and in a better place too.

Take care,

Ray

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Looks brilliant complete, fantastic job!

Rob

8 minutes ago, Ray S said:

Yes, I agree that you have come up with a cracker with this one. I know it gave you trouble in the past but you did a good job getting back to it.

I am glad you are back, and in a better place too.

Take care,

Ray

Thanks guys,👍 it sat a few weeks before I was able to get it completed but it was worth it! After all I'd been through with it; no way was it being trashed! 😮

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Came out just fine! Very glad you got it finished, and to such a standard 👏👏👏

Thank you Alan,

Didn’t come out pristine like a die cast, but I was able to make it look suitably war weary, I wasn’t sure about it at first but I wasn’t going through all again, and so got to like it, as my first biggie I came to be rather proud of it.👍

i couldn’t imagine the applause I’d get for it in Britmodeller due to being completed a bit late, and I say a BIG thank you to everyone who has reacted to it in the way they have!, this is a massive boost to me, thank you again everyone.😎😃👍

• Like 1

You may have arrived there 'accidentally' but you are dead right about the weathering effect of the different shades of paint. Looking at the fin in particular, that detail really lifts the model. It's a little story (my thing!) about maritime operations and matt paint. Great!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Markh-75 said:

Thank you Alan,

Didn’t come out pristine like a die cast, but I was able to make it look suitably war weary, I wasn’t sure about it at first but I wasn’t going through all again, and so got to like it, as my first biggie I came to be rather proud of it.👍

It's a much overlooked technique, but I've often suggested using different manufacturers' shades of the 'same' colour to get a more realistic representation of a varied paint finish, particularly on deployed combat aircraft. Yours is a good example of the concept 👍