Bad To The Bone ++finished++

IanHx

Hi Ian,

If I had somewhere to store it I would build my old Airfix 1/72 one - I know it is none too accurate but it should look impressive. Certainly an appropriate entry for this GB.

Pete

4 hours ago, PeterB said:

If I had somewhere to store it I would build my old Airfix 1/72 one - I know it is none too accurate but it should look impressive. Certainly an appropriate entry for this GB.

Just what I thought when I saw this. I’ve had an unstarted Bone since the last century and I did briefly consider it for this GB but where to keep it put paid to the idea. Always loved the Bone; I had USAF stock photos of it as wallpaper on my work computer for years. 

Will follow this with great interest. 

Chris

Reading the instructions, it becomes apparent that a decision early on is required as to whether its wings forward or wings swept.

Although pose-able in 4 different positions, there are different underside slot pieces depending on which... going to have to try some dry fitting to see which one to go with ( shelf  says:   "fully swept, you numpty !  no room for anything else..." )

Painting the cockpit reminds me why I usually avoid Fiddly-scale.....

• Haha 1

First gotcha....   the instructions show the wings the wrong way round !

Carefull examination of the surface detail - along with putting the decal instructions under a magnifying glass - reveals that parts B2/B9 are the RIGHT-hand wing and not the left as depicted in step 1 .....

BTW the surface panel detail on this kit is amazing.... hope its still visiblle after being slathered with a hairy stick ....

DSCF0191

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 6

21 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Ian,

Pete

The modelling gods demanded that I post a size comparison between Airfix 1:72 and Academy 1:144....

DSCF0189

Sadly this photo does nothing to disperse Mrs Hx's notion that models are just "giant dust-catchers" !  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Isn't there a 1/48 scale one out there? That would make an interesting picture with the other wee ones...

Sadly haven't got the storage space to even contemplate the Revel 1:48....   not even if disguised as a coffee table.....  😆

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, IanHx said:

Sadly haven't got the storage space to even contemplate the Revel 1:48....   not even if disguised as a coffee table.....  😆

You could store the other two inside it, like a Turducken.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken#:~:text=Turducken is a dish consisting,variant%2C replacing turkey with goose.

• Haha 5

Top and bottom halves together.  Big strong locator pins make it like cross between a regular kit and a quickbuild.

A joy to put together.

Still some sanding required along the seam though....  can't have everything 🙂

• Like 2

...  and so onto the Third Law of Modelling :

"the modelling session shall end with the appearance of The Carpet Monster"

i)  after a suitable* period of time has elapsed the piece shall be returned to the modeller

exceptions :

a) insufficient quantity of swearing has been offered up in tribute

b) insufficient quality of swearing has been offered up in tribute

c)  the piece is really small

* "suitable" depends on the whims of the particular carpet monster, but usually around 5 minutes

after the modeller has got down on hands and knees and realises that they are stuck

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Hope your penance has been rewarded by the return of that part Ian.

Yes the rear bump that glues onto the side of the tail has been returned to its rightfull place :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Cool subject, must keep an eye out for that kit myself (if you recommend it after the build! :) )

I can recommend it already -  it feels like a model kit designed by someone who usually designs snap-together kits.

No "non-existant locator pins" to worry about on this one :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I've finally found a flaw in the kit.....

The cross-bracing strut on the main undercarriage is very weak, and can be easily snapped while being removed from the runner.....

First kit I've built that came with a paint mask.

While not perfect, it's a big improvement on free-hand brush painting... and means it's not a disaster when you overpaint the mask :)

DSCF0199

• Like 3

Painting completed.

Taking a break to let it all dry before commencing on the decals....

Today's episode was brought to you by the numbers 125, 140, 130 ,33 & 32 .....    :)

DSCF0202

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...