A pair of MiG-21s by another name - the Chengdu F-7 Fishcan

zebra

There don't seem to be any of the Chinese MiG-21 variants in the STGB yet so I'll try and fill that gap with a Chengdu F-7BG (probably - there's a chance I might end up doing a different export variant). This is a modified version of the J-7, which started out as a Chinese-built F-13, and has diverged a bit from the original - for example it's got a one-piece windscreen and a more conventional rear-opening canopy, differences in armament, and the J-7G that the F-7BG is based on (F-7 being the export variant and BG the version for Bangladesh) has an extended wingspan with a cranked-arrow profile. There are differences in the avionics and many of them have Martin-Baker Mk.10 ejection seats. 

I'll be using the Trumpeter 1/48 J-7G kit - here's the box shot:

Trumpeter J-7G

There's not a lot of aftermarket for this kit but that's fine, I'm going for a quick build (by my standards) to try and get myself out of a bit of a modelling slump. I might see if I've got some PE seatbelts in the stash for a Mk.10 seat, but won't do much more than that to the interior. On the outside, the most visible difference between variants is the number of guns - some just have one, others have one on each side. I may or may not decide to scratch build the extra gun. I might decide not to do it and live with the inaccuracy, or might decide it will be Sri Lankan instead as the Sri Lankan F-7GS only has one gun.

Decals will be from Caracal's nice looking sheet. It includes options for Bangladeshi F-7BGs in two schemes (two-blue camouflage on top with sky blue underneath, or a two-greys wraparound scheme), Sri Lankan F-7GS and Pakistani F-7PG (both in wraparound greys), or a Nigerian F-7NI in a classic African sand/brown/green camo with a sky blue underside. Won't have to make my mind up for a while.

Time to crack on. More soon.

cheers

Julian

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Good to see a Chines built version, I think this is the 1st from China. All of the marking options sound good but the Two blue or Pakistani aircraft sound good ? 

I have to say I'm finding it hard to go past this colour scheme:

Bangladesh_Air_Force_Chengdu_F-7_BG_934_

• Like 10

Even though it's not my scale, it is definitely a subject of interest so I'll be keeping an eye on this. From what I could follow of those type designations you mentioned, this kit has the cranked & extended wings? I think I'm up for scratch building them in 1/72. :( Those schemes do sound enticing.

Steve 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

If you’re swayed by mob rule I’d go for that scheme too!

I'm with the mob on this one! I'm about to hit the order button on some (hopefully) suitable paints.

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

this kit has the cranked & extended wings?

That's right - a bit different from a standard MiG-21!

I've made a start today. Various subassemblies have been assembled (I kind of think when I put together a subassembly I should say I've subassembled it!) and are in the garage with a coat of primer drying. Meanwhile I decided to bite the bullet and scratch build the second gun. There's a fairing where the gun would go, so I cut that back to a suitable point (best not to remove it completely as the airbrake attaches to it). Then I cut out a rough triangle to put the gun trough in, and made the trough by inserting a bit of plastic tube and cutting it back and filing it flush with the fuselage. I've added the forward part of the gun from another piece of plastic tube. It looks like this at the moment:

F-7BG WIP

It's going to need a bit of fairing in with milliput and I think I'll also try and get it to taper a bit. I think I'll end up with an ok-looking gun.

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 6

Need to go find a look see at what these wings look like. 

Here you go:

Pakistan_Air_Force_Chengdu_F-7PG_infligh

I like this Pakistani scheme too. If this build goes well I might feel a need to get hold of a couple more kits to use the Nigerian and Pakistani decals on the Caracal sheet.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, zebra said:

Here you go:

Pakistan_Air_Force_Chengdu_F-7PG_infligh

I like this Pakistani scheme too. If this build goes well I might feel a need to get hold of a couple more kits to use the Nigerian and Pakistani decals on the Caracal sheet.

Ok so I see what the wings look like. The scheme looks a bit F-16ish ? 

Ok so I see what the wings look like. The scheme looks a bit F-16ish ? 

They do look very similar to standard F-16 colours don’t they?

A funny thing happened while I was buying paint for the F-7 online. A Trumpeter J-7B accidentally fell into my cart. Along with colours for an Iranian F-7B that I happen to have decals for. I wonder how that happened!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, zebra said:

A funny thing happened while I was buying paint for the F-7 online. A Trumpeter J-7B accidentally fell into my cart. Along with colours for an Iranian F-7B that I happen to have decals for. I wonder how that happened!

Sounds like pure serendipity to me. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

The gun's coming together quite nicely I think. Not perfect but good enough for me:

F-7BG WIP

A bit of clean-up needed but it's nearly there. I love it when a plan comes together!

cheers

Julian

• Like 5

• zebra changed the title to A pair of MiG-21s by another name - the Chengdu F-7 Fishcan

Not a progress report but the J-7B arrived today and will be hitting the bench ASAP so this has become a double build. It'll be an F-7N, in this scheme (although this is an FT-7):

02_DSC0309.JPG?itok=nRbWt96X

The FT-7 is an interesting variant. I may be wrong but I thought all the two-seat MiG-21 variants had the larger fin, whereas they've obviously taken a different approach with the FT-7 by keeping the smaller fin and giving it two big ventral fins. This would make an interesting model but there isn't a kit so would have to be a conversion - I wonder whether a cut and shut of a J-7 tail on a MiG-21UM would work. I think I'll concentrate on the two F-7s for now!

• Like 6

I do like the colour scheme of the Iranian F-7N's, the sand and grey work very well together. I also really like the idea of doing an FT-7, with the way that Trumpeter have engineers the kits it might simply be a case of using the tail from the J-7A on the fuselage of the UM and scratch building the two ventral fins, now there's a thought!

🇺🇦

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I do like the colour scheme of the Iranian F-7N's, the sand and grey work very well together. I also really like the idea of doing an FT-7, with the way that Trumpeter have engineers the kits it might simply be a case of using the tail from the J-7A on the fuselage of the UM and scratch building the two ventral fins, now there's a thought!

🇺🇦

I might have to step away from the computer before I accidentally serendipitously order another two kits!

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Looks like it's been about 5 weeks since my last post - time for an update.

I've been away from BM for a little while - mojo problems - and during that time I slowly chipped away at this one. I've actually had a complete airframe for a couple of weeks, then ran into some painting problems. Matches for the colours quoted in the instructions are a little hard to find and I went with a light blue from Vallejo for the underside, not a brand I've used before, and getting the right consistency, pressure etc was tricky. Then my compressor died! Anyway, new compressor has been acquired, light blue painted, and the intermediate blue has also gone on (back on comfortable ground with Gunze this time). There's also been some progress with the Iranian F-7N, fuselage has been assembled, this is going to be a fairly quick build and I've gone to very little effort on the cockpit - best not to look in there since the carpet monster got the control column and is refusing to return it!

Here they are:

F-7BG WIP

That blue really doesn't look right as a camouflage colour!

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 5