Saab J-35OE Draken. Revell boxing of Hasegawa.

Revell_72nd_Draken_Aus-1

This is the Revell 1/72 scale Saab J-35J Draken, Kit 04352, built as an Austrian J-35OE Mk1 from Graz Thalerhof in 1992.

I built it for my friend’s 60th birthday recently. He doesn’t build himself, but has a few die-casts and particularly likes the Draken.

The kit is a reboxing of the Hasegawa kit which, despite its age, is well detailed and goes together very precisely. I didn’t use any filler at all, which is a first for me.

I thoroughly enjoyed building it and would definitely recommend it.

What a great looking aircraft!

Revell_72nd_Draken_Aus-3

I primed the model with Tamiya XF-1 black thinned with Mr Color Leveling lacquer thinner. The camo is unthinned MRP paint.

MRP paints spray beautifully and are very forgiving. They’re pretty much impossible to brush paint though, even for touching up.

Revell_72nd_Draken_Aus-2

I used decals that IPMS Austria published in 2001. I bought them at the UK Nats in 2001 iirc and have been looking forward to using them for years.

I’ve recently started building again after a long absence from the hobby and my friend’s birthday was an ideal excuse to use them.

Revell_72nd_Draken_Aus-4

The after-market decals went on very nicely directly onto the MRP paint without silvering.

I used a couple of the Revell kit decals which did silver slightly, but not so as you’d notice. I think I’d gloss varnish before using Revell kit decals again.

Revell_72nd_Draken_Aus-5

The model is lightly weathered, after decalling, with oil paints and a Flory wash.

Revell_72nd_Draken_Aus-6

Everything is sealed with Tamiya varnish thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner.

Revell_72nd_Draken_Aus-7

Since it’s Austrian, I modified the inlet on the left side of the spine to look more rectangular and left off the right hand spine inlet.

The nose pitot and fin probe are Master Models turned brass and are lovely.

The model is primed with Tamiya XF-1 Black thinned with Mr Color Leveling thinner.

Camo paints are MRP, namely:-

MRP-364 Light Grey FS36495 for the fuselage undersides.

MRP-039 Haze Grey FS36270 for the upper front fuselage and fin.

MRP-040 Gunship Grey FS36118/ANA603 for the upper rear fuselage.

I sealed it with a 50-50 mix of Tamiya X-35 semi gloss clear and XF-86 flat clear thinned with Mr Color Leveling thinner.

Revell_72nd_Draken_Aus-8

This draken is another 50s jet after my Gnat F1. I'm currently working on a couple of MiG-21s. I can sense a theme coming on!

Happy modelling,

Keith.

Edited by KeithR
  • Like 53

Hi Keith,

as an Austrian I'm almost obliged to comment :D All I can say is that your Draken came out very well. Your weathering is just right and the finishing is really nice. Actually, it looks so good that I wouldn't expect this model to be 'just' 1/72. Really well done 👍

Cheers

Markus

• Like 2

great Austrian Draken!

:partytime:

I can only confirm that those IPMS decals are a pleasure to work with!

PS: if you fancy a MKII one day, IPMS Austria also has a nice conversion for it too! :)

• Like 2

That's very smart and nobody would know you'd been away for a long time! It's a great scheme especially the giant dayglo code numbers, and top marks for doing the research and the Austria-specific mods. I hope your friend was chuffed with it, I would be!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, exdraken said:

great Austrian Draken!

I can only confirm that those IPMS decals are a pleasure to work with!

PS: if you fancy a MKII one day, IPMS Austria also has a nice conversion for it too!

Thanks @exdraken, I’m sorely tempted to buy another to make as a MkII, but I already have 299 kits yet to build and another would be madness!

And , yes, I have counted. I have a spreadsheet you know.

Mind you, another Draken would make it up to a nice round 300……….

22 hours ago, Electric Indigo said:

A very cool and bold scheme for this elegant machine. Your finish is excellent; at first glance I thought this was the 1/48 kit.

Thanks @Electric Indigo.  @Mates has just posted a super 1/48th Draken in a similar scheme here. Well worth a look. And it’s a MkII.

Thanks for your kind comments @Shorty84@Dave H@SAT69@Big Dave S@RidgeRunner@Tomcat101@Vulcanicity@Vultures1 and @Orso

they're much appreciated.

My friend, to whom I gave the model as a 60th birthday present, was very pleased with the model so I'm relieved and very happy about that.

This is the 5th model since I restarted the hobby after a long absence, so I feel I'm getting my eye in again and am much encouraged by everyones positive comments.

So I'm building two MiG-21s at the same time at the moment. Which is fun.    I think?

Happy modelling,

Regards,

Keith.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, KeithR said:

Thanks @exdraken, I’m sorely tempted to buy another to make as a MkII, but I already have 299 kits yet to build and another would be madness!

And , yes, I have counted. I have a spreadsheet you know.

Mind you, another Draken would make it up to a nice round 300……….

Oh  in this case..... I recommend you to also buy the Hasegawa Special scheme box containing the black  retirement scheme 'Dragon Knight', as well as the Ostarrichi red white red scheme.... both Mk.II variants as per timeframe...

That way depending on how you count double boxings, you'd jump to 301 or 302 kits.... and you would still be far away from 400.... :devil:

Alternatively you could build 2-3 kits and stay at the same level ;)

• Haha 2

Nicely done Draken Keith !!

299 ?? Don't you worry anbout that.... :wicked:

It's not madness , just the average BM'ers :rofl2::rofl2:

Now @exdraken show you the way, multi builds are funny...

Congrats for the 🐉

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Only 299? Then there is nothing to worry about. I have 100+ started/unfinished., but I don't worry. I build for the fun and if I loos interest the build goes into sleep. But like the sleeping beauty some of them come to life again, But I wonder why I have 11 Hasegawa Draken's in the stash. I had no idea that they were so many. Must try one somtime.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Orso said:

Only 299? Then there is nothing to worry about. I have 100+ started/unfinished., but I don't worry. I build for the fun and if I loos interest the build goes into sleep. But like the sleeping beauty some of them come to life again, But I wonder why I have 11 Hasegawa Draken's in the stash. I had no idea that they were so many. Must try one somtime.

I am a mere amateur @Orso compared to your collecting expertise!

You are absolutely correct about it being nothing to worry about though. That's for my heirs.

I still can't resist expanding my stash whenever I see something that I like. Particularly all these beautiful new tool versions of old kits I already have such as the new Arma Hobby P-51D which Britmodeller has assured me is out soon 😉.

Thanks for the kind comments @corsaircorp, @Wulfman and @Maginot. Keep 'em coming 👍

Happy Modelling,

Keith.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...