FG-1 leading edge slats information sought

Cees Broere

Hi all,

As I am already working on my second 1/32 British Toom, a RN FG-1, I want the aircraft to be with extended nosewheelleg and deployed leading edge slats.

But looking at photos I cannot see how the slats were hinged or what the structure looks like.

Does anyone have any info on this?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Ceed

Hello,

The phantoms leading edge slats are hinged at the bottom. Not having my aux drive hooked up to get a reference photo for you. Check this out

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

@Cees BroereFound these on my phantom reference drive and for visual acuity. The first and second are of an F-4D. The underside shows the outline of the hinge on the wing tip and inboard leading edge..

F-4D-66-8700 (WZ) 57FWW TDY 432TRW Udorn-via R Davies 03 710000

Broadside view for the full down angle

F-4D-66-7707-497 TFS-Ubon-Wx abort-0872-djc

Royal Navy FG-1 broadside lead on from the front.

FG1 XT864 VL-151 767 Sqn Lee-on-Solent 1970

Hope this helps with your project. Noted above photo shows the inboard slat is locked in the up position. The image of F-4D 66-7707 shows the inboard slats are down.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

The leading edge flaps were hinged from the bottom. It was called a piano hinge and consisted of two rows of interlocking square tabs along the whole length of the underside face of the flap, one set on the flaps  and one set on the wing or opposite face. They were lined up and then a long wire pin was inserted through the whole lot. It wasn't just the flaps that had them, the large engine doors* on the rear fuselage had them too as did most of the other hinged doors (not the speed brakes though) if I remember correctly. The inner most leading edge door on the FG1 and FGR2 were fixed (i.e. not part of the flying controls) but did hinge down on piano hinges for access to the BLC pipework.

*McDD referred to all the removal panels as doors

Duncan B

I don't know enough about the British Phantoms but if they had the hard wing Wolfpack Designs made a dropped wing resin conversion for the Tamiya F-4EJ kit. I have one around somewhere I could get pics of if that helps. 

Carl

Edited by FG2Si

4 hours ago, Hook said:

What is that thing on the centreline? Pave Fire? 

Cheers,

Andre

@Hook and @71chally,

It's either a Pave Mover AN/APY-7 or a Pave Sword AN/AVQ-11. A year before my time and never saw a pave anything pod at RTAFB Udorn in 1972. All our lasing was done from the F-4 aircraft out of RTAFB Ubon.

All the images for the most part came from the F-4 Phantom group once housed in Yahoo Groups.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

Starting with the F-4J (and possibly retrofitted to the B under the guise of N variants) the boundary layer blowing system implied that the inner section of leading edge flaps would be locked in the up position.

The BLC system was a US NAVY thing and subsequently applied to all naval variants, including the Spey powered ones.

@Robertone139, great pics of the leading edge flaps! The BLC was fitted to all "hard wing" F-4s, both USN and USAF. It was deleted on F-4s fitted with leading edge slats. 

The inboard section of the leading edge flaps was fixed on the F-4J and F-4N in an attempt to improve low speed pitch control, IIRC. According to Tommy Thomason's Tailhook Topics blog, it was brought back on the first few F-4Js that were modified to F-4S, but was soon deleted again. 

Ben

On 2/28/2022 at 10:38 AM, Hook said:

What is that thing on the centreline? Pave Fire? 

Cheers,

Andre

Yes, it's Pave Fire II and was a one-off. I believe it was an infra-red sensor possibly boresighted with the Lead Computing Optical Sight for night-time targeting and ranging for a dumb bomb attack in Dive Toss mode. The paperwork on the thing is still classified fifty years later. 

IIRC the inboard LE blown flaps were fixed on Block 28 Navy jets and up (slotted stabilator introduced at the same time). This airframe change was retrofitted to earlier F-4Bs, and standard on F-4Js on which the F-4K was based. 

Tony

• Thanks 1