F-35A kits question

ReccePhreak

I didn't find my question answered anywhere on the forums, so I'll try this.

Is there any kit (1/48 or 1/72) of the F-35A that has "reasonably true to scale" RAM panels on it? On all the ones I saw, the RAM panels looked like 1/2" thick (or more) panels. I would think that thicker decals would do the job nicely.

Also, I would need a kit that has the tinted canopy, as well as accurate RAM panels.

Thanks in advance.

Larry

Hi Larry

Well I only have 2 F-35A moulds kits one from Hasegawa *this one don't have interiors) with awefull decals and the Italeri (with bomb bay interiors and lots of decals) (sae kit boxed by Tamiya, Revell, PM Models)

Be careful with Italeri aircraft weapons sometimes there are just junk, anyway I plan to cast some resin parts from the Hasewaga to improve general looking from the Italeri kits

Regards Larry

Armando

5 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

I didn't find my question answered anywhere on the forums, so I'll try this.

Is there any kit (1/48 or 1/72) of the F-35A that has "reasonably true to scale" RAM panels on it? On all the ones I saw, the RAM panels looked like 1/2" thick (or more) panels. I would think that thicker decals would do the job nicely.

Also, I would need a kit that has the tinted canopy, as well as accurate RAM panels.

Thanks in advance.

Larry

G'day Larry,

I don't think any currently released  kit would meet your requirements.

I think that the Meng 1/48 kit is the least worst in that scale. In 1/72 the Academy kit would be my choice and the RAM panels are very restrained. If you require absolute scale accuracy, you have already suggested your own solution - sand and fill the extant panels and apply the RAM decals instead as this will closely replicate the real aircraft.  In 1/32 the Italeri kit's RAM tape is comically overdone . All kits feature innacuracies  and even the aftermarket correction sets have gotten it wrong, basing their details on early or prototype aircraft. I think the 1/72  Academy kit is only one so far to get the seat correct.

Italeri's 1/32 kit has an orangey yellow tinted canopy and the Meng and Acad kits have clear canopies which is either a good or bad feature. Bad news if you don't like tinting your own canopies but good if you do as the tinted canopies are not correct if you want accuracy. Most pictures show the canopy to take on a prismatic goldish red sheen rather than a simple smoke or yellow tint. The canopy tint changes appearance (as does the paint) considerably depending on ambient light conditions and is a difficult effect to recreate and I am not sure how you would do it. 

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

As Pappy says, nothing really fits the bill for your requirements, the Orange Hobby F-35C or new Italeri F-35B (both 1/72) probably come closest but they're not what you're looking for!

All kits have raised RAM panel details to varying degrees (even the new Italeri kit) so whatever option you go for will need to be sanded down if that's not acceptable. You may think that's easier than tinting the canopy of the Meng 1/48 or Academy 1/72 kits, but unfortunately those are your only options.

Whatever you decide, good luck with the build 👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Phil Flory had a go at reviewing the F-35 family of kits from most, if not all, the manufacturers. 

Thanks for that info. I searched YouTube and found his review video. Very helpful, especially since I saw all the RAM panels in decal form as well as raised on the kit. I can sand down the kit panels and then use the decals. No tinted canopy, but I think I can handle that. Now to get one on order, so I can do it in the markings of the Royal Thai Air Force. They requested to purchase some from the USA. Whether the sale will go through or not, it'll be an interesting model for me.

Larry

• Like 1

Its not to answer your question at all but the 1:32 Italeri F-35A is rather nice.

The only other F-35 kit I actually own is the 1:72 Italeri F-35B, which is a very very nice kit. Complete with weapons bay.

I think they all suffer the over done RAM tape problem in their own ways. I would prefer they just leave them off and we can add them ourselves with a coat of paint and a clear decal.

• Like 2

My dog prevented me from posting this earlier this morning and I hope I am not too late.

In 1/72 the Hasegawa kit has the best representation of the RAM taping material for both the A and B variants, however the weapon bays are not open in both kits, the level of detail is otherwise very elevated and I like the way the cockpit just drops in at the end.

The Academy kits are second best (actually to me are the best) as they portray a barely noticeable relief for the RAM tapes. Both the A and B kits however offer detailed weapon bays and a full assortment of external loads that may or not be used at the discretion of the modeller.

Size wise, the Hasegawa and Academy are virtually interchangeable, also Academy offers a wider range of nationality decals than Hasegawa, also both Academy and Hasegawa's B models offer positionable leading and trailing edge flaps.

Italeri's new 1/72 B variant's RAM panels are thick enough to require a pneumatic scalpel to be eliminated and while the weapon bays are portrayed open, they are already molded with the lower fuselage, so it does not get my vote.

The only choice for the NAVY C variant is the courageous Orange Hobby kit that while portraying the RAM panels in light relief also offer masks to allow the modeller to completely remove all detail and paint it, it is dimensionally accurate.

The Orange Hobby C model also offers a detailed modern carrier tow tractor.

Avoid the Fujimi B model.

For the record I own Academy's F-35A and F-35B, Hasegawa's F-35B, Orange Hobby's F-35C and Fujimi's F-35B.

HTH

Edited by Robertone139
added text
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I always thought this was a good photo to show the "thickness" of the RAM panels.

6673853325_57b0d0fdc0_b

I would think that in 1:72 or 1:48 scale, decals would be sufficient.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Recent F-35 photos seem to show a paint scheme where the RAM panels are not a contrasting colour. The planes appear overall dark grey. But I do not know what the official scheme is.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I always thought this was a good photo to show the "thickness" of the RAM panels.

6673853325_57b0d0fdc0_b

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Recent F-35 photos seem to show a paint scheme where the RAM panels are not a contrasting colour. The planes appear overall dark grey. But I do not know what the official scheme is.

even matt paint would do.....hell to mask though!

On 3/3/2022 at 2:09 AM, Navy Bird said:

22 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

even matt paint would do.....hell to mask though!

there are differnt sets of masks out there... maybe one could sand the panels down and apply the masks and paint over them?

https://www.scalemates.com/en/kits/dn-models-48-827-035-ram-panels-paint-masks-f-35a-lightning-ii-1-48--1099261

https://www.super-hobby.at/products/F-35A-Lightning-II-fighter-RAM-PANELS-kabuki-masks-for-Meng.html

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/galaxy-model-d48003-f-35a-lightning-ii-masks--1102406

Not sure about 1/48, however both Hasegawa and Academy provide decals to portray most of the upper RAM panels or strip.

Orange Hobby offers a separate masking set dedicated to their F-35C.

Even with the newer RAM panels in the same color as the aircraft, they present a different sheen requiring masking.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2022 at 10:39 AM, Navy Bird said:

6673853325_57b0d0fdc0_b

Cheers,

Bill

G'day Bill

Based on what I could see of the 'B' models at Yuma last year whilst on EX, the overall dark grey colour appeared to be the same the jets have always had. 

• Like 1