A-34 Comet, current Revell rebox of PK-72

Not quite completed this one

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235104634-pk-78-m16-half-track/

I recently bought this.  

51900990687_8d0104d3dd_b.jpg50620151 by losethekibble, on Flickr

This is one I did do in my early teens, and amazingly still survives,  (pics to follow)  I suspect this one was originally in 1978.  It was either this a Matchbox Firefly that was bought at Harrods as part of a day out in London.

I even had a go at taking measurements from it a bit later on to scratchbuild a 1/35th Comet... I got as far as doing a bit of the engine deck. (again, survives in a box somewhere) 

I was able to try to do this as as IIRC Dec 1979 Scale Models magazine had a free scale ruler, one side in 72nd and 48th, the other in 76th and 35th.  Which I also still have. 

Not that I am in anyway a packrat.

I need to do some more pics, I would have done them today, but I got distracted by actually doing some modelling.....

These and story of why I have been wanting to build another Comet  I shall edit in later....  

EDIT.....

The story on why I have wanted to do a Comet, (apart from wanting one in the early 80's when there was a distinct black of British WWII armour at all apart from ones from the western desert) 
Back then, me and my modelling buddy had a deal, he had the Axis, and I had the allies, and I was in particular interested in NW Europe, which was a how I know about the general lack of tanks, there wasn't even an available basic Sherman. 
I had a Tamiya M4A3E8, and an Italeri M4A1(76),  the only late war British tank available was a Tamiya Churchill Crocodile, buildable as Mk.VII.
The Comet seemed of note as it was a reasonable tank overall. 

In May 2000, I went to Tankfest 2000 at Bovington Tank Museum,  Tankfest is still held, and is when they display working armour, and a lot of the collection is still driveable.

Anyway, I was offered a lift and went along, even though it did involve being up in the morning..

Anyway, great day out, had a wander round the museum, watched a variety of ranks display in the arena etc.

As the say was winding down, I was standing in front of a Chieftain, Centurion and Comet.  For £1 you could get inside them.  
I had a stoke of luck, I was getting hungry, and a stall that had been selling baguette rolls started to give them away, so I got a free cheese baguette.  I was munching through this, looking at said 3 tanks, and the offer became £1 for all 3, I was still eating, and one of companions on the trip joined me.  This was Julian Hills, brother of a member here @Adrian Hills 

The chap then said £1 for both of you.   I'd by now finished my roll, which was even more enjoyable as a freebie,  and proceeded to inspect and clamber on said tanks.  This was the closest I have ever been to a tank, so was a rather fascinating experience.
They had been selling inspections during the day, and for more cash, rides. These were fairly expensive for a poor cheapskate like myself.

The Chieftain was moved away, but I got to get inside the drivers seat and turret of the Centurion.  The Comet I had had a soft spot for, so was very interested.  I was an ex-modeller at this point. 
Now, one I get going I'm quite chatty and full of questions, 
I tried getting into Comet driver compartment, but it was a tight squeeze, and I'm 6ft1, and it was uncomfortably claustrophobic, so I passed after trying to wiggle in.  

I asked the 2nd Lieutenant who had been driving it, what it was like to drive, and he said it was OK, but it no clutch, but a crash gear box.
As I was climbing into the turret, there was an elderly chap in black coveralls of a museum volunteer, i was talking to him and it turned out he had been a tank commander  these in 1945 in Germany, which was quite a surprise. He was 77, and answered questions patiently, I think my main one was how did it vary from wartime spec, which was no ammo, and no radio IIRC.
He the one with white hair in the pic.

As I said, end of the day, time was coming to move the exhibits back inside. 
They had moved the Centurion by now, and time for the Comet. I'm still in the turret, and it's taking a while to start.  bear in mind they have a Meteor engine, which is basically a derated Merlin, a 27 litre 12 cylinder engine, with no muffler... just pipes out the back.
As this goes on, I give my best winning smile and ask if I can get a ride...
Driver goes, "stand in the commanders hatch, and don't touch anything"
So...I get 2 minutes drive in this.... which was, well, as it was a totally unexpected freebie, staggering. 
I don't even drive, so being up in the commander hatch of a WW2 tank was a quite a shock.... and I was very entertained. That why I'm grinning like a maniac in the photos..

51903967713_34577f6b95_b.jpg50620170 by losethekibble, on Flickr

I don't have a scanner set up, so took a photos  of the 5x7" photos that were given to me by Julian.   

51903882926_bb37d7eabc_b.jpg50620171 by losethekibble, on Flickr

Bottom left is the veteran, bottom right is me getting my ride...

A very very memorable day...nearly 22 years ago...   I have been meaning to get to a Tankfest again, but it's finding someone who drives and wants to go and give me a lift.     

Now I just need a yellow circle and a 52  on a red square and the right numbers.....  And I need to drill out the muzzle break more!

• Like 8

While doing some small jobs on the half track,  as I had given the parts a wash,  I thought I'd keep on a roll.

Base got clipped off and undercoated.   

I had read an method on here, of keeping half of a set of wheels on the sprue, and adding the  other half.   Thought seemed an interesting idea..

did that and then was on in the zone, had nothing else pressing o pressed on...

51902282649_51be32cf07_b.jpg50620163 by losethekibble, on Flickr

So,  half the  wheels cleaned up, and assembled. Did the visible faces first as well.    Drilled out the holes in the drive wheel as I it seemed a useful little detail.  Just visible in pic.

The mould on this had either damage or gunk, and there were a few rough patches,   and after the other kits I have done, The Morris C.8  set and half track, this was a bit crude and basic.

Looking at the main body, maybe a bit overkill, I have a length of square section wood moulding, using a bit of brass right angle stock, one side was a good 90 degree.  I cut some small sections, and then superglued these on, and the SG the sides.  Makes very solid stable body now. I also added a strip of plastic sheet at the rear, to aid alignment of the rear panel.    Result is a very neat and square base.

I was surprised at the gap underneath where the tool boxes were, so cut some 10 thou panels to cover these, added some plastic strips first, and then the fill in panels.   The gaps are not that visible,   I also spent time truing up edges with a little flat file. 

but  all good practice in basic skills,  and quite satisfying.

Finally, cleaned up and drilled out the barrel...1 mm drill  (76.2mm/76 = 1mm)  , and the side holes in the muzzle break, though the barrel had some unpleasant pitting along one side.    Drilled barrel in pic, poking out from the wheels.

Somewhat surprised to find no base to the turret, though looking at finished one,   this is really not very obvious,  in fact I not noticed this at all....but I think I'll add a plate to the underneath rear of the turret,  to  box in.

All the above was done without reference to the instructions,  something I could not have done with the other kits.    Be time for some paint soon.

thanks for reading. 

cheers

T   

• Like 12

• Rabbit Leader changed the title to A-34 Comet, current Revell rebox of PK-72
9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I was able to try to do this as as IIRC Dec 1979 Scale Models magazine had a free scale ruler, one side in 72nd and 48th, the other in 76th and 35th.  Which I also still have. 

Blimey, I remember that! Mine's long gone. 

• Like 1

On 24/02/2022 at 21:43, JOCKNEY said:

Look forward to hearing the back story on this one. 

it's up. Hope it amuses. 

16 hours ago, IanC said:

Blimey, I remember that! Mine's long gone. 

mine's not ! Forgot it was given away by Military Modelling as well...  handy thing to have.

51904229313_c29cbe8aa4_b.jpg50620176 by losethekibble, on Flickr

first coat of SCC15 in places, plus turret blanked off underneath, and gun glued on.

Did drill out the Besas MG too.  I did make some for a Cromwell I did in 2020.

Time to tidy the desk as well I think...

cheers

T

• Like 11

Aaaah, so that's why Julian has a Tankfest sticker on his Volvo 240. He seems to be putting bigger engines in them. He was around earlier fixing some blinds for us and while Annie is watching a bit of rubbish TV I am drinking the Westons cider Julian gave me.

I love these mini dioramas in the box from Matchbox. Seem to have accidently bought Monty's caravan so might knock that up. Queen Bee has got her Sky on and done some work on the Ju 188 so progressing with my Matchbox GB stuff.

On Rabbit Leader's build list it looks like the Hurricane needs doing - hint hint.

Cheers

A

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

On Rabbit Leader's build list it looks like the Hurricane needs doing - hint hint.

I'll look into it. I now I have the IID boxing I picked up in a charity shop a while back.  Plus I'm getting close to having mixes of RAF paint I'm reasonably happy with. 

Quick update, 

spurred on by @Enzo Matrix build here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235105929-pk-72-a-34-mki-comet-enzos-descent-into-madness-chapter-1/

I realised that I needed a mantlet cover.    I used a rectangle of dress makers tissue paper, with a slot cut in it, and some slits at the side, and PVA it into place, also fixing the gun mount at the same time.  

51907895550_9ed0ff8c74_b.jpg50620183 by losethekibble, on Flickr

Here it is after a coat of SCC15. Looks a bit rough on blow up, look OK on the kit.  I might add those little strips that can be seen on the Bovington photo, and on Enzo's build.

and what else, another coat of SCC15 on various bit. Assembled more of the upper hull.

a coat of XF-84 burnt iron on the tracks, that really are crap, and had loads of ejector pin marks, which I made some effort to clean up, and again made me realise even more this will, be the build for mud encrusted tracks technique...

Slapped a vallejo burnt umber wash on the base, really does need more work

51906295807_c6a67a2830_b.jpg50620182 by losethekibble, on Flickr

And think a desk tidy is needed, as I'm now using about half a sheet of A4 paper as can be seen.......

thanks for reading

cheers

T

• Like 6

Apologies for missing this thread, it's only one out of 250+ that we have in this GB so far.... and still counting! 

The Comet is coming up a treat, very good progress Troy. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

more progress.

Added wheels,  drive while is dry fitted, to show how the teeth don't connect properly, as pointed out by @Enzo Matrix and this makes the track too short, you can see the stretch.  And how awful the tracks are.   I foresee an experiment in a wet mud layer, as well as possibly a staple.....

The tracks have had a coat paint as well, they are plain black as supplied. 

Turret mantlet cover,  well, I added the visible reinforcing strips from tissue, wasn't visible even doubled up, so used Tamiya tape. Look a bit to visble here now... but look OK to the eye,  perhaps some Mr Surfacer to blend in, though the paint may well do that. 

The used multiple applications of PVA to blend it in.  The used Mr Surfacer on the sides. Then looking much more closely, realised there is not one slot, but 2 holes, so more little bits of tissue, and some more Mr Surfacer round the barrel.

A ponder if to paint with SCC15b bitumenous emulsion, or just khaki as per the photo.   I think I'll go with my photo..

51915532473_e1abacba04_b.jpg50620008 by losethekibble, on Flickr

A stash dig revealed a started Hasegawa Crusader I was sold cheap, which has some yellow circle tactical markings, which are about the right size, the Crusader is 72nd, so they are a touch larger, but saves having to ask about. for some.

From looking at the Bovington Comet above, and then sketching on the turret and using my old scale rule, they look to be 18 inches, which sound s very believable imperial size

Pondering  if to use 'as is' and then paint out the 3, or cut out the centre. They have a white backing which is not quite aligned, so a touch up is likely anyway.

Propping up the barrel, with a now enlarged opening,  is one of my most used tool, a pin vice with a sewing needle, scribing, poking, centre punch  and other uses.

Thanks for reading and commenting

cheers

T

• Like 3

Hi Troy,

I have sets of Aleran decs with unit/AOS and tactical markings - triangles, circles etc together with Mike Starmers serial numbers so if you need anything specific give me a shout - I also probably have some spare Comet tracks as I was intending to do some conversions and then Revell and Airfix released Cromwells. As to the M3, over the years my stash has been split up and is now in both my main and extension roof spaces, 4 wardrobes, a couple of drawers under a bed and several boxes and bags - I had a quick look and can't find it but I will have a better look before too long as I am convinced I did buy one to do in US colours, my original build being in British Desert ones. The only problem is that I may have used the tracks from the new one to replace the ones on my old one when I refurbished it a couple of years ago - I don't think so but that might be why I can't find it.

I used to be a "Friend of the Tank Museum" but living 150+ miles away was a bind so I could not get down there very often, and when my knee packed up there was no way I could drive myself there, which is a pity. The Friends are usually very helpful though my wife found some of the "enactors" with their own vehicles could be a bit less so - maybe they could not believe a female could be interested!

Pete

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 07/06/2022 at 00:49, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Troy

With our 2 week extension, is there any chance of guiding this one over line and into the Gallery  ?

Cheers Pat 

If I can find it !   I put it into a box,  and then put that somewhere....   in room that looks a bit like this....

raiders-of-the-lost-ark-warehouse.jpg?q=

the room and boxes are smaller..  but this is much tidier........    I have been working on my other two builds though...

cheers

T

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 09/06/2022 at 15:46, Troy Smith said:

If I can find it !

On 07/06/2022 at 00:49, JOCKNEY said:

is there any chance of guiding this one over line and into the Gallery  ?

maybe...  It was of course easy to find,  once I had a look.

as a enthusiasm sharpener,  stuck gun on, and the gave turret and upper hull a couple of coats of SCC15...

52148530902_bbeea7b8f4_b.jpg50620257 by losethekibble, on Flickr

Just need to find the yellow circles, and the other markings bit can be partly obscured by the mud needed to obscure the poor tracks.... 

cheers

T

• Like 5

On 16/06/2022 at 07:41, Adrian Hills said:

‘If it wasn’t for the 11th hour, nothing would get done’

Or finished properly....  this isn't,  but close enough for a few pics,  which I'll add more later,  but here is old vs new, my original Matchbox Comet, from 1978 I think as a comparison.

52158359230_d6fae04ec3_b.jpg50620296 by losethekibble, on Flickr

Thanks for reading

cheers

T

• Like 7

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Troy, congratulations mate :like:

Cheers Pat 

31 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

Great stuff Troy. Another Matchbox kit notched up along with your other builds 😊😊

really needs finishing, I didn't fit the guns, (yet) but they are not on the reference pics....

and couldn't find the right size serial, the '53' should be '52' and while I made a yellow disc from a sheet of yellow stripes and brass tube, the '40'  I found crumpled.....

but did at least get the yellow circle on the turret sides.  But it was a rush jobs to get some pics this afternoon.

And i quite like the canvas manlet..  I think the serial should read T332220

51903882926_bb37d7eabc_b.jpg

52157870273_29c0163177_b.jpg50620293 by losethekibble, on Flickr

52158358685_48eaf24286_b.jpg50620292 by losethekibble, on Flickr

52156848372_eaf716206c_b.jpg50620290 by losethekibble, on Flickr

52157866016_5c75358371_b.jpg50620298 by losethekibble, on Flickr

52158103954_8972d438b6_b.jpg50620294 by losethekibble, on Flickr

• Like 6