Early F-4B questions

Paolo6691

Hello All

I am currently building an Hasegawa F-4B and I would like to finish it as an early VF-84 plane, when they had the flag on the tail instead of the full tail painted black.

I have a few questions that I hope you can help me:

in Osprey combat aircraft 116 US Navy F-4 units of the Vietnam war 1964-68 there is a profile of a jet that is very similar to the one I am planning to build, it is armed with MERs on the outer pylons , do you know of any aftermarket where I can get the pylons without the tanks?

CAM 72-006 the decal sheet I would like to use, has newer ejection warning triangles with red center triangles, from all the pictures I saw of phantom of that era the triangles should be the first version, full of writing. Do you know where I can find a set in 1/72?

Last question, from all the pictures I saw the 4 lumps on the underside of the wing, two just below the intakes and 2 at the back close to the flaps, should be removed for planes so early in the Phantom story, am I correct?

Thank you

Paolo 

10 hours ago, Paolo6691 said:

do you know of any aftermarket where I can get the pylons without the tanks?

Aerocraft Models do a set. They are designed for the Airfix FG.1/FGR.2 kits but it shouldn't bee too hard to fit them to the Hasegawa kit. Link is https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/unarmed-inner-and-outer-wing-pylons-for-airfix-phantom

• Like 1

Since it's an early F-4B you are going to build you will have to remove or leave off the four lumps on the lower surfaces of the wings/intakes. Also, the small bulges above the main landing gear will need to be removed/left off too. That was a later modification.

I am not sure a carrier-based F-4B would carry MER with anything on them on the outer pylons - for the same reasons they usually did not carry wing tanks there.

HTH,

Jens

• Like 1

Bare outboard pylons can be found in any Fujimi non- Spey Phantom kit, it 's worth a try in the Wanted section. 

For a very early VF -84 F-4B, these were initially flown without the outer MLG covers. See this well known shot:

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee444/kittbasha/vf84f4bcatusn.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

Thank you for all the suggestions.

I have a Fujimi non- Spey Phantom kit, but it is 1000 km from me at the moment! Shame I didn't check it at xmas.

I will have to fill the holes on the top of the wings I already did and cut the lumps on the bottom.

Thank you very much, when it is a little more progressed I will post a couple of pictures here

Paolo 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hello all

First an update, my model is progressing, it seems things have changed since last time I uploaded a picture, photobucket doesn't allow linking pictures anymore.

The model is painted, and it just needs some touch ups before I mount the undercarriage.

I have a question, which elevators? I have hasegawa elevators from frame F, with the camber and elevators from from G that look like they are trying to represent the slotted version.

From my understanding F are the correct one, the question is, were the elevators so early to be  flat and I need to straighten up them and remove the camber?

Thank you 

Paolo

18 minutes ago, Paolo6691 said:

I have a question, which elevators? I have hasegawa elevators from frame F, with the camber and elevators from from G that look like they are trying to represent the slotted version.

Do you mean the horizontal stabilators, early F-4B aircraft had non-slotted ones during the time they had these early markings (1964)  The other information is correct in that the ECM lumps and bumps were not fitted nor the bump on the wing upper surface over the main u/c leg.  Also the ejection seats were Mk 5, not the later Mk 7.  My early F-4B will be the 1/48th Tamiya kit.

The MERs were fitted to the outboard pylons to carry bombs, at this time of the Vietnam war there wasn't much threat from MiG Fighters.

IMG_1695

23 hours ago, Paolo6691 said:

Hello all

First an update, my model is progressing, it seems things have changed since last time I uploaded a picture, photobucket doesn't allow linking pictures anymore.

The model is painted, and it just needs some touch ups before I mount the undercarriage.

From my understanding F are the correct one, the question is, were the elevators so early to be  flat and I need to straighten up them and remove the camber?

Thank you 

Paolo

The camber was introduced in development. Unless you're building a prototype, your F4H stabilator should have the camber. The fixed slot was subsequently scabbed on to the leading edge of the cambered stabilator. For more, see https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2011/09/f-4-flapstabilizer-change.html

• Like 1